some music vids i like

Comments

• edited 10:08AM
    there's typography?
    :) nah, i was just jerking your leg.

i hesitated to put this here..but i really do like it. i'm not a big Cohen fan (he's a very fine poet, though), and this is 15 years old.... but it's really powerful and it's haunted me since i saw it.
    Marc Campbell of The Nails says:
    In the 30 years since 88 LINES ABOUT 44 WOMEN was first recorded there has never been a video version authorized by THE NAILS. Of the dozens of videos on youtube that pay homage to the song, this is the only version created by a member of the band, me. So, here’s the world premier of 88 LINES the video. Hope you enjoy it. I had fun making it.
    NSW-ish

aaand.. if you're creeped out by the beginning.... good for you. it's worth watching.

:)
    I'll admit - I started to watch, then closed it. Heh.
    i hope you watched it, flak. the intro sequence of the little Viet Minh girl getting her tribal tattoos (without which she wouldn't have had a place in her culture) was expanded on with other ways that girls get acculturated. no more crying children, but lots to think about.

Marc Campbell is a pretty cool guy. I'd no idea that song was THIRTY YEARS OLD!

Marc lives in NewMexico and has done a bunch of vids recently. maybe you'd like one of his other pieces. this one's done with a series of still images.

in general, i think Fredo Viola's way too pleased with himself.... ;)

but i do like this a great deal.

The track is composed of a sine wave bass, custom drum sequences, and sounds recorded from the Disney film 'Mary Poppins'.
    www.myspace.com/pogotracks
    oh my.

i bet i'd appreciate that more if i'd seen the movie. :) it's creative. i like the dancing on the rooftops.

x
  • edited August 2009

....starts off with the US Marines singing their own version of "Bodies", then followed by the real tune. visuals are all combat scenes. i don't like it, and it's utterly compelling
    maybe technically not a music vid, but i care not. it's music and it's a vid.

so lovely. made me cry, of course.

jano, that's just too cool for school!

i bet they don't openly admit they're playing country music. :D

beautifully done.
    top animation (Joel Trussel), top humour, top syncing, top tune.

i have mixed feelings about Muse, but this is a fine, fine, video. cowboy space ninjas rule.

perhaps not strictly a "music video"......

she can barely sing a note or put one foot in front of the other, and I do not care; it works for me.

:)
    jano said...
    That's soopa
    DJ Roc Raida RIP - Another classic routine...

she is an original

Peces is... like the wet clay you knead to consistency before making pottery or bricks.
    i'm usually underwhelmed by poptonica, but what geek can resist relationships-as-trigonometry? :) i know MY life would be simpler if there was a theorum to neatly explain the trajectory of desire.

this is magical

Mimi Parker's voice is very beautiful.

the video imagery is so perfect with the music.
    this is strong and intense...

"Shot entirely on the Canon 5D Mark II w/ a custom face mounted rig -- Canon Lenses used: 14mm (f2.8) & 24mm (f1.4)"

this is the first Modest Mouse release that i've actually liked. the vid takes it even further into ~like~ territory.
    The indie rock band Modest Mouse is getting the royal treatment from Bent Image Lab’s new director/partner Nando Costa. Just completed, the band’s new music video is a dark and expressive piece of film-making. Heavily rooted in live-action, the impressive six-minute video includes intense moments of stop motion, visual effects, and motion graphics techniques, all brought to life within the studio’s walls.

this is more like a short film, but it is the music video for the Dead Hearts release. artist and mechanical wizard Arthur Ganson created the star of the show – a walking wishbone.

the music doesn't start until about 1:30
    newly made vid for 70's band.

very excellent.

Wow, just, wow.
  • edited November 2009
    that ^ gave me goosebumps!
    wonderful. :)
    anything that reminds me of LiteBrite is good. :)

wow.... that's beautifully balanced. i was a little "meh" about the song when i first heard it; the narrative seemed to lack heart, but listening and seeing this at the same time had me bouncing. :)

also:

?
    drupal droplet

heh (that's the Scotland druplet)
    sometimes all that matters is the phosphorescence......

c'est la semaine de la musique française

trés doux!

i can't help it; i just like Karin Dreijer Andersson's voice.

the vid pretty much encapsulates what I want my life to be like in the future.

plus, it's tight. :)

it's not the vid that i like: it's pretty mundane.

but this is the first group of Chliean rockers that i've gotten in to, and this is the only vid they have (that i know of).

more chileans.

this is sweetly simple, plus i like those skinny-leg pants. ;)

No do not get to my Facebook
    Do not mess please
    Whenever I have (something in) an inbox
    I cause it to close
    Stay out of my Facebook
    Do not mess please
    When writing melodramas
    I do not do it for the wall

not genius, but very strong and the use of neighbourhood people and the wonderful light contrasts is just perfect.

this is the kind of human-positive hiphop that gives me hope. some NSW language.
    I like! Boy has flow and lyrics too. Let me hit you up with some Oddisee / Kenn Starr / Kev Brown...
    i'm glad you agree about the quality of F.Stokes' work there, meska.

on a different tack entireley, TMBG has been doing some good work with children's music. they have a kid's podcast and have a new album out. this is from that new album, and i like not only the subject, but the simple graphic style. it's catchy, too. :D

several of the littles in my life like this.

~H~A~W~T~

the music's ok, too. :)

i approve.

this made me happy
    cool!
    ogods.... :D you know... i avoid pop music (not hard to do) and have been only peripherally aware of that Kesha tune. now it is forever associated with Star Wars and giggles. i appreciate that.

that OK Go vid is great. another example of a killer vid shoring up a mediocre tune; that works just fine. :)

the producers of the vid, Syyn Labs, says that the vid WAS done all in one take (i've had discussions about it); the pile of smashed tvs was just a result of the 10 previous failed takes. ;)

Synn Labs