some music vids i like

Comments

• edited 3:13PM
    chris, those percussion vids are fantastic!

jamm, that vid is a lot of fun. what a great crowd of grunge-goths. the cross-dressing was even good (you can tell a lot about a man's attitude about women when you see how he dresses up as one). the tune is nice light summer pop, too. catchy.
  • edited July 2011
    even though i'm not much of a hardcore fan these days, i've been following Fucked Up's work on David Comes To Life. the Toronto band billed themself as metal punks for years and have been pushing limits from the start.

David Comes To LIfe is an opera.

this is the first music vid they've released. the album was released this year.

the vid is strong. :) plus it has kids.

Fucked Up's wiki
    that's pretty cool, if a little cutsey. theatrical though, i like it.
    theatrical *nod* very much so. :)

if you get a chance, listen to some of the album. no kids. :)
    i've been on the fence about this one....
    To tell the story of Cults' hauntingly beautiful track, "Go Outside", I was inspired to bring the band inside the world of Jim Jones' famous religious cult, Peoples Temple, and the eventual tragedy in Jonestown. ........... For this music video we didn't want to put a spin on the footage or the peoples lives—instead we wanted to re-tell and humanize their story. In order to achieve this we used a combination of stock footage, visual effects and other tricks to embed the band into the historical footage.
    it works really well, and the ballad is excellent.

Tom Vek is one of those reclusive obsessive geniuses who disappears for years into his garage and writes music.

also... i want a cigarette.

That ^ is an exceptional. Skillfully assembled.

This is much more lowbrow. :D

A rufftuff streetbanger's song about snitches (Julio Volito's Clara de Luna, whic is most excellent), now with dancing rats.

there is nothing Coulton could do that warms my heart like Code Monkey did, but Space Doggity comes damn close. <3
  • this is sweet and tuneful and fun, plus it's a great old song given new life.

• ... and this is none of those things, and it's wonderful.

• hmmm....

pretty good camera work, for sure.

:)

this peculiar "story" vid (director is someone known to me), has enough quirk to keep my visual attention, and the low-fi tune turned into a sing-along. it made me smile when he took the robot out to the desert to enjoy its dancing.
  • this, i like, because it is possibly the first music video ever made. (1930)

plus, the organ is kickass. the tenor starts singing about halfway through.

• Amanda (fucking) Palmer is not for everyone.

I delight in her brash ways. She's my kind of show-off.

This... (NSW) combines stop-motion with painted-on words (you'll see), clever lyrics, and ... just a hell of a good time.

• i like it!

i'm a post this in the typography thread, too ;)
  • that reminds me.. i've got a bunch of cool (to me) typography examples saved. i should post them. sometime soon.

i'm not a huge Justice fan, but this vid is beautifully done (as per their usual).

also

Calvinball!

calvinball
  • edited August 2012
    Tom Waits is often merely irritating, but he does a damn fine anti-war song.

first vid is my favourite (directed by Matt Mahurin).. so strong,...

second (same song) is just cuts from a war movie. a couple of people i showed the first to didn't get it... that it was anti-war, until they saw the alternate vid.

Hell Broke Luce

(Luce was an Iran veteran who committed suicide later.)

• i'm going all soppy.

even though the duo broke up long ago, i am still a huge fan of The Swell Season.

when Glen and Marketa split up, they went ahead and finished an album in progress and a tour schedule with grace and aplomb.

this absolutely perfect vid was done after their breakup, and is such heartful piece of sweetness.

• i thought i'd posted this a while back, but a search tells me no.

a contemplation of a man's relationship with his father ... while in the middle of a car crash.

• edited August 2012
    Some frame by frame animation and puppets over video....

• jamm! :D hi there. your absence has been noticed.

that is totally feelgood pop-y sweetness and the seemingly simple animation and puppetry really reflect the youthful joyous sound they have. plus, i totally love Rosie Oddie's voice.

excellent.
  • this is an example of how to do a "live performance" video

i like the band Trouble Funk a lot, and Kindness' vid treatment (using multiple performance samples) really gives a sense of all the band and their excellence.

• i must have posted this one already, so what. new album coming soon sometimes this year, to here knows when... only shallow.

Ah et une putain de bonne année 2013, un tantinet soit peu moins merdique que la précédente à bien des égards !

jean-christophe
  • ok, Sexy Fingers made me lol when the bass strumming of panties started .... !

;) i very much would like to combine those graphics with the My Bloody Valentine tune (gosh, they're still ethereally exciting!).

:D

• this superb stop-motion combined with a tune i'd never give a second listen to otherwise made something excellent.

also: where is my laser cutter, dammit!
  • edited February 2013
    another example of music i'm not particularly attracted to EXCEPT as an accompaniment to the video. together, they're wonderful. Hypnose-ic and smile-generating.

kids like this so much. :) me too.
  • The entire video was (sort of) made in one shot. I set up 4 cameras pointed at different parts of the scene, and used audio triggers from the song to automatically switch between the cameras. All camera switches were unique to the time I played the song back, so I couldn't really plan for a progression.

The first pass was recorded off of the screen of the wobbulator to give it a security camera feel. I then played back that first pass back through the wobbulator again and had the audio drive the drawing of the scanlines, resulting in the jiggling lines of the video. You'll notice that bass sounds result in an all over image wobble, while high notes are more visual as you can see their frequency in the lines.
    this is fantastic.

• yet another song that i might ignore if not for the amazing video that went with it.

also: how the hell did they do that? my best explanation .... lifted frames out of the completed sequence, pasted them in, performed some magic. *handwaving*

the bit with the umbrella is so good :D
  • edited February 2013
    sometimes low-tech works best

this is one of those times.

plus... accordion! :D
  • what did i just watch???

"don't eat it".... hell. it's 3 am and i NEED a burger now. i just want the one that makes you gain weight.

also: buzzy music. :p
  • this song makes me puddle up every time. the vid really enhanced (for me) the distracted sad.

we will not discuss John's hair.

This is how we did it: I diagrammed out 8 layers of video on a timeline. We shot the first layer (of John's face on the tv screen sitting on the floor) then took that tape and played it back on my TV, and shot the second layer. Then we took that tape and played it back, and shot the third. Basically we built it layer by layer, live, and by the end of the two day shoot we had our finished video.

Sharp eyes will notice a few wonky match-dissolves. We discovered that once we were 8 layers deep (that is, shooting off a tv screen off a tv screen off a tv screen 8 times) the deepest layer was too muddy to see what was going on. So we used only 7 layers at the start, and transitioned to layer 8 when we needed it.
    full screen if you can

• using the aesthetic of the animated gif to create a series of interesting loops is a fantastic concept (Pineapple guy is my fav).

• edited September 2013
    ^Cheers Mick & Chris x
    I loikes dat Dizzyess juan lotsa
  • hehe... Dizzee was on top 10 years ago, and he hasn't changed his schtick one bit. the use of the animated gifs was pretty cool, though.

cute vid, Chris. :D i didn't last long before i turned the sound off.

here's something along the same lines but not. i like the vid because he makes funny faces and sometimes plays with his cat while he counts out the measures.

• ^Cheers Mick x
    I loikes dat juan lotsa
  • Am liking these guys at the mo

• edited January 2014
    Meant to put it in here...
  • this is cool / weird / slightly NSFW

• the music is awful but the video is super neat