Next iPhone Release?

edited July 2007 in conversations
When do we think the next "up-grade/version" of the iPhone should/would be released by Apple?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    if it doesn't get in in time for the European launch they'd surely have to then wait 3 months or so, so as not to make those ones obselete?

Don't ya think?

aww what do i care :( it's not like i can afford £300 plus £35 a month charge
  • edited 3:10PM
    Right, I thinking at least 3 months... this would be for a larger HD faster speeds and of course new features.
    does anyone know how long they are locked in with AT&T? personally I think limiting themselves to one carrier in Namerica is probably the biggest thing that need to be 'upgraded'

8Gb is 8x larger then my shuffle and I still love that just as much as when I first used it.... what wrong with having to hook it up to your computer every now and then to 'refresh' the files? has to charge at some point right?

lol and I also heard some people complaining about the battery only lasting 4hrs when watching video..... what device lasts longer then 4hrs while watching video? what do you want? miracles? Can't blame apple for inherent limitations in battery technology.

in anycase I might think about it if they ever get rid of the AT&T thing, they are useless around here, barely any service and even if you have service there are lots of dropouts. I don't know about AT&T in the US but in alberta it stinks. and possibly the rest of canada as well, to have something like that here it would make more sense to go with telus or bell (or both really) any other tele company can hardly compete with them.
    Telus is only good in alberta ( I saw the coverage map there, it's freakin' unbelievable), here in manitoba, it blows goats. I'm a subscriber here (not of goats, but of telus) and it drops out when I go into Superstore. Either way, the tech that iPhone relies on is only available here through Rogers Wireless, who has really crappy customer support.

BTW - I believe Apple is tied to AT&T for 3 years.
    I've got a few people who have already snatched up iPhones... main complaint, battery usage. Since they are using it as they would any other smartphone type device, they're expecting the same battery longevity, which isn't more than a day or so. Apparently, it does drain rather quickly.

My concern, as mentioned by wormsnot, is the lock in with AT&T... I've heard a decent amount of friends and colleagues say if they begin to include more carries, they consideration will be elevated. It's wild to think they seem to be launching in the UK with more than one carrier... I suspect, although, I could be wrong as one of the carriers (T-Mobile) has a US sector as well, they North American carriers have yet to reach deals... and/or, part of the AT&T deal was they were to be exclusive for a short period of time. Because of the latter, I wouldn't expect to see a 2nd gen until at least 6 months out...

... if they make the inclusion of more carriers then, and the priced dropped 100$, I'd probably be inclined to get one, and toss the Pearl.
  • edited July 2007
    NM - I fount this:
    Source: O'Grady
    I'd say you can expect something new in time for the holidays, so announced in a few more months?
    the battery life pumps all the other smartphones from what i've read

can't wait for the euro release
    From the O'Grady link...
    the contract created between the two companies provides AT&T with exclusive distribution rights of the iPhone for five years
    ... seriously? 5 Years!? Christ. I like T-Mobile, especially since they added the @Home feature!
    I don't get the idea behind this AT&T thing. They must have paid Apple some nice money.
    damn 5yrs is a long time in the telecomm business!
    also rogers and AT&T = the same in canada anyways
    ya I think manitoba is the odd man out for telus/bell because of the... uh, what is it, provincial owned tele? Sask has prov owned as well, but they are pretty kick ass from what I hear, considering the low population of Sask. BC is very telus heavy too I believe, Telus seemed to have bought almost everyone else out in BC if I remember correctly (like in alberta) also I know in alberta telus and bell share teh same tower network so both of thier coverage is pretty damn good.... I think we can thank the oil for that.
    Yeah, rogers IS at&t here. In 'toba we have MTS (Manitoba Telecom Service) and I had just left them for Telus because MTS' current phone lineup suck-diddly-ucked. Now I have a slick little Nokia slider phone that cuts out. I don't like rogers, but I think I may have to bight the bullet if they do get the iPhone. It sounds silly but I can't not have it if it's within my grasp (can't get it in canada now so I won't be loosing sleep).
    Just found this for interested canadians.
    "The iPhone is an revolutionary ..."

I hope they at least speak french correctly :wink:
  • edited July 2007
    Apple to produce cheaper Nano iPhone:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKN0929372220070709
    TheEvilU:"The iPhone is an revolutionary ..."

I hope they at least speak french correctly :wink:
    Do you mean Canadians or Best Buy? If you ask anyone from France they will tell you Canadians can't speak french... and Bestbuy is, well, American...
    jussi-k:I don't get the idea behind this AT&T thing. They must have paid Apple some nice money.
    Apple is receiving a cut of AT&T's plan fees. Which will add up to a lot of nice money! :smile:
    I've been totally happy with battery life.

I easily watched the entire shitty 2 hour Richard Donner film Timeline (based on the mediocre Micheal Crichton book of the same name) on the plane from Atlanta to Baltimore, and had more than half my battery life to spare.

Honestly... Nobody has done time travel better than Doc Emit Brown.
    clunkyrobot:Honestly... Nobody has done time travel better than Doc Emit Brown.
    Funny you should say that. In a conversation this weekend my wife and I agreed that all time-travel storylines we now see in the fictional world are compared to the "rules" set by the Back to the Future franchise... like Doc Brown was scientific fact.
    He was.... wasnt he? :happy:
    In the latest season of Dr. Who showing in the US right now the good Doctor even uses Back to the Future to explain the Grandfather Paradox. Maybe a little cheesy, but I loved the reference. Being a little cheesey is what makes Dr. Who, especially the newer ones, so great to me.
  • edited July 2007
    "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.....?"
    "That this thing doesn't work at all"
    but it could also mean that Jack Benny is secretary of the Treasury.
    LOL !
    French canadians have a canadian accent with their french, like brazillian people have accents with their portugese. ;)

Dont think theyve settles on a plan yet, im on rogers and waiting for the iphone to be released. I hope theres a decent plan. :) i need a new good phone damn it!