Drugs, brothels, al-Qaeda and the Beyonce tax: the Green Party plan for Britain

edited January 2015 in conversations
i'd meant to post this a couple of days ago, have a read :) i think it's meant to be a hatchet job by the telegraph, but i still think i can get behind a lot of these policies hehe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11356354/Drugs-brothels-al-Qaeda-and-the-Beyonce-tax-the-Green-Party-plan-for-Britain.html
The Greens want something very different.

Caroline Lucas and colleagues regard economic growth as incompatible with protecting the planet and a fulfilling personal life.

While their rivals recognise more trade, more innovation, more competition and more globalisation as an engine for prosperity for everyone on the planet, the Greens argue it is nothing more than a race to the bottom that has made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and pillaged the environment.

The party’s manifesto argues for zero, or even negative growth and falling levels of personal consumption. Britain would be in permanent recession; families would become materially poorer each year. After centuries of growing global connectivity, the Greens want to see greater national self-reliance.

Cottage industries, allotments and co-operatives are good. Banks, supermarkets, multi-national companies and resource extraction are very, very bad.

And while Labour and the Tories compete on job creation, the Greens argue that government policy should make paid work “less necessary”, with people making their living from the home-based “informal economy”.

Comments

• Interesting reading, yes, there's plenty I could get behind... and at present I guess they're being more honest about their intentions than the big two but then, they are a long way from power at the moment...

...current politics just keeps alternating between two well-worn views on the main topics, there has to be another way somewhere out there!?
  • when i'm browsing the web and see an article with a url at the telegraph i know it's not worth another thought.
  • when i'm browsing the web and see an article with a url at the telegraph i know it's not worth another thought.
    :D