The last great designer of our era is....

edited February 2011 in conversations
Design so personal. "Matter" is so subjective, that it's not useful (imo) to do more than say what you feel. There's no arguing with feelings.

Design matters. Desginers matter.

Studios, not so much. The personnel change, and so does what is on offer.

I'm interested in what the design collectives are doing. Whether the work speaks to me is always about my own taste (and who's on "this one"), but a collective can draw on a pool of talent that no single band is able to do.

Talent matters.

Album covers and individual pieces matter.

Portfolio's don't matter much at all

For me, the only design that really matters is the one i'm in, and that's just because of the joy of collaborating.

Under that rationalization, I feel michelle's web design is the best fucking designer of our generation!!! Ever hear them big wig designer debates about who will be the next one?!!!

Well, I'm ending that debate here! Right here, right now on fazyluckers!!!! THATS RIGHT!!!

Michelle is heads and shoulders above all the hacks whos working now. Design is a personal thing and it's better then all that crap that's out there!

I feel she's shown amazing change and she matters!! She designs with feelings! So her website being a punchline for this place has ended.

Truth = Michelle web design > fazylucker designers.

Before you argue... shut up because you can't argue with feelings!!! Feelings matter!

(My apologies Mick... but really? this was too juicy to pass up to prove my point.)

btw: if anybody is wondering why i brought up that lady's website. I personally always had an issue with how this place bullied the poor lady.

Comments

• edited 7:10PM
    NC, you have jumped the shark :awkward:
    For the most part, there's no arguing that the person you mention is a terrible designer.
  • edited February 2011
    Talent matters Chris!!

She presents personal change! That matters too!

She's not terrible, she's just a mis-understood starving indie artist that is beyond your scope of understanding.

Screw you and your commercially accessible designs!!! Don't hate her because she chooses not to design for the commercial masses.
    //sarcasm
    mis-understood how? she's TERRIBLE!
    I'm just using a common rational for what some people here use about music and I applied it to design.

The italics seem to cover a larger number of people's opinions here.

I just wanted to see how you react when I change music to design.

:)
    so, you're just stirring up shit for the sake of stirring up shit? :depressed:
    The opposite actually.

This is almost "art" if you step back and think about it.
    no. its crap from a hack. there's a BIG difference.
  • edited February 2011
    Ummm.

If you're saying talent matters, I would agree and disagree, depending on the degree to which we extend out the argument! I spent 11 years teaching 'new talent' in a design college and there were, quite simply, some people who lacked it completely. Certainly at the point they were studying with us and there was no subjectivity to that, however much you want to argue!

Yes, we can debate subjectivity but when using the 'music' analogy (and people's taste on here), I think we can all agree that those bands being debated have a degree of musical talent, whether it's in their singing on playing?! Calling Bowie crap is just a statement and a personal one and expressing such feelings is just a fact of life... of course there are points at which 'personal attacks' on someone can become too harsh and even damaging to someone's morale (though I think we also have a personal responsibility to develop ourselves, so that we can see past and rise above these comments) and that's another debate altogether. But, in looking for evidence of those without talent... think X-Factor/Britain-America has talent. Surely you can agree there are people who go onto the auditions who lack a comprehension of how out-of-tune they are, of how 'bad' they are - are the majority of us really wrong!!!

If we used your rationale literally, and in a sense I do actually see this played out in design education where talent no longer seems to be a pre-requiste for getting on a course, is there not a chance we undermine the skills and hard work of the industries we are discussing?

Having said some of the above, I do think people can find their talent (and real talent) at different times in life, so I don't preclude the chance of people gaining talent in the future that they lack now ...I'm a shit singer, some of that is innate, some of it is confidence and awareness.

Michelle has now banned me from her site too :surprised:

Her work is not good at all but she is surviving as a web 'designer' - this is something else I'm used to seeing in my (ex) students. It is not always the most talented who persist and prosper!
  • edited February 2011
    i see plenty of 'successful' architects who have no discernable design talent.

their talent is running a business profitably for the benefit of themselves and their employees.

all well and good, but it litters the world with dross.
  • edited February 2011
    Frank Lloyd WrightDoctors get to bury their mistakes, all an architect can do is advise the client to plant creepers
    The difference is that a building should survive for a lengthy amount of time. I website on the other hand passes it's sell by date quickly.

What's Michele's web address?
    mad libs fail.
  • edited February 2011
    urbansurgeon said...
    Doctors get to bury their mistakes, all an architect can do is advise the client to plant creepers
    I like that! :smile:
    nicko said...The difference is that a building should survive for a lengthy amount of time. I website on the other hand passes it's sell by date quickly.

What's Michele's web address?
    http://www.micheleswebdesign.com/
    nicko, of course. but the discussion was verging onto the quantiification/definition of great/success ...
    Michelle's website told me: Sorry, You Have Been banned from using our site
    i blame nc for this.
    mick said...mad libs fail.
    hey?
    chris said...
    Michelle's website told me: Sorry, You Have Been banned from using our site
    i blame nc for this.
    I thought she banned you ages ago!! :happy:
    she did, but i only just got round to attributing blame to anyone ;)
    I'm banz0red too.

urban, point noted
    Oh, I see it using a web proxy.

Nice bubbles :)
    nicko said...Oh, I see it using a web proxy.

Yes, that crossed my mind, but lost interest! :happy::happy:
    See, you guys need me around. With out me, you guys would have no body to blame.

hehe
  • michele, it's michele.

for christ's sake nc show some respect now and spell it right!

otherwise i totally agree this is the ultimate in good design:
    Redneck in Exile said...michele, it's michele.

for christ's sake nc show some respect now and spell it right!

otherwise i totally agree this is the ultimate in good design:
    I like that the button is made from flash, completely unnecessarily.

This is great, I can't access the site so I'm just dissing what I can!
    What do you want most from a web designer?

Michele's poll

I see she omitted turgid bollocks as an option.
    LOL! the first option should be "Low Quality Work" :D
  • edited February 2011
    Wait on, she missed Reacharound! It's mandatory for me and webdesignerz (~looks at Chris and Shock) ;)

[hide] Apologies, mind's in the gutter these days [/hide]
    For what it's worth, i think for me it could be...

The Don Daddy.
  • edited February 2011
    Stuart said...What do you want most from a web designer?

Michele's poll

I see she omitted turgid bollocks as an option.

Ahh, spoilsport!
    i think you mean ~*~ SpoilSport ~*~

[hide](smile)[/hide]
    LMFAO! (smile)....i had totally forgot about that!!! :D
    Haha, oh man.That's made me (smile)
    and you guys say nobody wants to join this place?

... I wonder why?

lmao
    to be fair, she didn't want to kiss my ring so i wasn't going to let her past my velvet ropes. ;)
    ~*~ YES ~*~
    :wink:
  • edited February 2011
    lol michelle.. err I forgot I brought her here (I dream of Genie) I wish I had saved the parody of her old website that samfreak did. It was brilliant.. :heart:

http://www.micheleswebdesign.com/

lol she's still running crappy trackers.. and interjecting >smile<

"♥ Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
    ♥ Came From: You Came Direct (smile)
    ♥ ISP: ip98-164-98-25.no.no.cox.net
    ♥ IP: 98.164.98.25

This from my XP partition on my mac..

You gotta love the old broad...
    NightCrawler said...... I wonder why?

lmao
    it's already been stated why, and it's nothing to do with taking the piss out of hacks. so you'd best watch your step, son.