PDF to JPG conversion?

edited May 2010 in conversations
I've got a few large (120pg) PDF that I need to convert to numbered jpeg's. I need them to be a specific pixel size and resolution.

Acrobat makes crappy jpeg's and I can't work out how to get Photoshop CS5 (yes I know, yay for us) to read more than the first page. I've been trawling the internets for hours and I have a client breathing down my neck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• edited 3:19PM
    i don't have ps cs5 so i can't help you there but...

can't you adjust the export settings in acrobat to the maximum for jpeg and then use something like name mangler to do a batch rename on the file names?
    nimmot said...i don't have ps cs5 so i can't help you there but...

can't you adjust the export settings in acrobat to the maximum for jpeg and then use something like name mangler to do a batch rename on the file names?
    Thanks nimmot. Acrobat doesn't antialias the text so it comes out all jagged. I'll check out namemangler, thanks.
    Though it might be a pain with 120pg documents... InDesign will anti-alias the text of a placed PDF when you export as an image file... You'd think there'd be a setting in Acrobat for that, wouldn't you!?
  • edited May 2010
    Did you try to open the PDF with Preview.app and choose "Save PDF to folder as JPEG" from the printing windows PDF button thingie?

EDIT: OK, this appears to come with Aperture --> http://blogs.oreilly.com/aperture/2008/05/pdf-services-provide-big-bonus.html Maybe it is worth to install the trial to get this ;) Or I could upload the automator action for you, but I am not sure if it works as stand alone or needs Aperture :(
  • edited May 2010
    you can compile a workflow in automator to do this. The 'render as images' option in the pdf section is what you're looking for:

pdf workflow

rather then moving the rendered images to the desktop, you'll probably want to specify a folder for output, 120 + files per pdf is going to get messy ;)

btw, in PS CS5, when you open a PDF, you get a preview of all pages, select the appropriate page to import by clicking on the corresponding thumbnail, or hold shift and select them all.
  • edited June 2010
    McKs said...you can compile a workflow in automator to do this. The 'render as images' option in the pdf section is what you're looking for:

pdf workflow

rather then moving the rendered images to the desktop, you'll probably want to specify a folder for output, 120 + files per pdf is going to get messy ;)

btw, in PS CS5, when you open a PDF, you get a preview of all pages, select the appropriate page to import by clicking on the corresponding thumbnail, or hold shift and select them all.
    Thanks McKs, I added a resize bit and it works a treat (note that it only gives you the vertical resolution, odd). Much appreciated.
    ^^ Oh, good answer McKs, much better than my idea!