My name is Stephen. I'm a design addict (an observer article on design)

edited September 2007 in conversations
Why would a man own an iPod and never use it? And buy one piece of cutlery every week? Here, The Observer's design guru Stephen Bayley reveals the origins of his obsession with modernism, Rolexes and the Renault 5

Sunday September 2, 2007
The Observer

I am pretty uncompromising about modern design. For me, modern design is not the latest, wearying neophilia from the Milan Furniture Fair or Yodobashi Camera (Tokyo's barking mad high-voltage emporium of electronic devices, many of them satisfying needs you have not yet imagined: 'total multi-media life' they call it). Nor do I care much for the look-at-me silliness of a new generation of techno-organic designers who are more interested in creating problems than in solving them. Wanders, Boontje, Urquiola and the rest of them are welcome to splash around in their self-indulgence, just don't expect me to take much interest when there's still work to be done on the Modernist Project Phase One.

Read more >>>

Comments

• edited 11:37PM
    for me there is no beating the V&A for a comprehensive record of 'modern' design - they collect everything so i don't have to

highly recommended