teachers

edited June 2007 in conversations
with one child finished skool and three more still in school, I ask myself how come teachers have so much time off?
years and years ago the summer hols got used for the harvest no longer the case.

Teachers say they have to do loads of prep, er does not everyone apart from factory workers.

My question then is how can you have a third of a year off and expect as a profession to be treated as a profession when clearly it is a hobby?

Comments

• edited 9:25AM
    i suppose the only solution to keep the teachers busy is to have kids in school all year round

the latter days of the major government suggested the school terms should be more spread out - i guess it doesnt reduc the amount of holiday overall but its not 8 weeks off in one big chunk

they are trained to teach kids and if the kids aren't there what else would have them do?

one option would be for schools to have the nads to actually FAIL more students and put them back or make them sit summer school or something being put back a year does not happen enough in the UK (if at all)
    it's likely cultural.

harvest still happens. i don't think i know one teen that doesn't work during the summer break.
  • edited June 2007
    If the high school calendar had class all year (including through the summer), kids could have more days off during the school year. They could hold a job during the week, if school only happened 3 or 4 days a week, or go on short trips.

Would make long vacations more difficult, but otherwise it's less jumping back and forth between school and no school.
    Teachers need to prep on many things including:
    1) Dealing drugs..who is snortting more stuff than selling and who is cruching pain killers to add to the cut?
    2) Firearms practice..got to be able to cook fools when needed
    3) One on one full contact combat...
    4) Protection and grading rackets is seriously complicated

vortexual :happy:
    I ask myself which sane person wants to be a teacher. good points there, vortexual
  • pjpj
    edited June 2007
    they need time off so they don't choke your lovely little cherubs :)

and what vortexual said.
    Absolutely. Work with a class for a few days and you quickly realise how difficult a job it really is. I completely take my hat off to people who teach.
    i wonder...

what did you do in the summer when you were that age?

(greg sounds like he's stuck with a houseful of teens who need money ;) )