if i was thinking about an iPhone... this would be a dealbreaker.

edited June 2007 in conversations
i'm not shopping for a mobile phone, but i am intrigued/entranced by that slick item.

or.. i was.. until i saw this.

Comments

• edited June 2007

Spotted by Engadget reader

I'm not sure what, if anything, would break this deal for me.
  • edited 6:30PM
    You don't need to get an iTunes-Account if you've got an iPod. Why should it be different with the iPhone?
    i think its just an option like .mac when you first turn on your comp... unless itunes conection lets you talk over the internet. it has wifi support doesnt it?

then i guess its over for skype
    Your probably right there Chicken. Nothing wrong with a bit of gentle persuation ! (especially if it makes Apple more successful)

Nothing will stop me buying the iPhone. Well, apart from if it was being supplied with Windows only !!!!!
    Apple will require iPhone customers to have an active iTunes Store account, in order to set-up their device, the company has revealed.

Apple despatched an email to US customers who had signed-up for information when the iPhone ships last night. The email describes a number of features to the product, and warns prospective customers that they should open an iTunes account.
    found here: http://www.macworld.co.uk/
    Do you have to purchase from iTunes if you have an account or can you just sign up?
    you can just sign up
    that MacWorld article is pretty clear.... you have to have an iTunes account.. which means you have to have a credit card or (? does this work?) Paypal account. i'm agin' it. :D

i sound a bit like a Luddite, but it's a "quality of life" issue.

i'm sure that no one is required to purchase from the iTunes store. there are folks that sign up just to get the free Tuesday downloads.

it's not for me.

x
  • edited June 2007
    Nice. I cant see a problem then :smile:

Oh wait, Ive only just seen your post Mick. The credit card thing would be problem.

~phones bank!!
    mick do you you have a .mac account? if you do...that is your itunes account.(same username, and PW)

Now...

I do think its kind of idiotic for them to do this, it just seems superfluous, and a bit too demanding. The iTunes store is huge, the iPhone probably will be too, and its limited to ATT/Cingular
    customers only(I'm cingular which is now ATT i will be buying an iphone)...regardless you would think they would make this purchase as easy & user friendly as possible...apparently they are not.
    I could be wrong(it has been known to happen), maybe they know what they are doing...it just seems so petty, and makes me think "Why?"
    same username, same password, BUT.. without the credit card info, i don't have an iTunes account.

i think Apple is keeping all its eggs in the one basket.
    It takes paypal, Jobs made a big deal about it about a year or two ago. You can also buy a $20 iTunes card and set it up like that. I did. No credit card needed, the account makes sense tough. Who knows, maybe you get a free album when you activate the iPhone.