the great big car and bike design thread

Comments

• edited 10:40PM
    that's pretty cool. I can see drag races happening though ;)
    that's what they said on the blog it was posted on. i don't see much difference in that respect to no countdown timer, though. apart from less skill / reaction time reliance ;)
    In regards to the stoplight timer, We have crossing timers, so you can basically look at the timer on the crosswalk in front of you to know when the light is going to "start" to change. I also use those to know when a red light is coming and if I should speed up ;)

Lamborghini Ankonian Concept By Slavche Tanevsky
    - The Next Generation Reventon?

"The name for the Ankonian comes from a bull famous for its back hair." haha, ok, so i read it wrong...
  • edited February 2011

crikey :D
    chris said...

crikey :D
    holy cantilevered suspension, batman!! that's some reach. wow. i've got to find out more. :D

.... chris.. the other vid is "removed by author".
    ok
    Cams hydraulic Chain-drive 4x4, about 7 feet of up OR down motion on each tire.

Engine is a fuel injected Ford 5.0 V8 out of a '93 cobra mustang, c4 transmission and t-case out of an early bronco. 9" w/ 5.38 gears and ARB air locker mounted in the center (below driver) running chain gears on the ends where the swing arms pivot. Swing arms are hydraulically controlled individually or together, and there is coil spring and shock suspension as well. large chains running inside the swing arms turn hummer gear reduction (2:1) hubs at each wheel. tires are 39.5". The steering is linked through the swing arms as well and the steering box is mounted just infront of the axle below the driver. body construction is steel tubing (mostly DOM) and the total weight is 5900 LB."
    where does it go? "anywhere it wants". heh you can buy a ride on it for 100USD/hour.
    evolution of the bmw 5 series vs. lada

via michael
    heh! contrary person that i am, i prefer the look of the LADA. ;)

i'd be willing to test this.

i need one of these.
    minirip
    mini rip from howe & howe

aka 'america - fuck yeah!' - check out the bigger tracked ripsaw vehicles and videos of them!
    Go Faster
    The Graphic Design of Racing Cars - Film from gestalten.tv

You'd never guess it, but these big toys for big boys were at the height of their design during the 1970s – by sheer chance. Mechanics and team members – not designers or marketing strategists – adorned racecars with all of those flashy stripes, logos, numbers and colors prevalent at any Formula 1 race today. After compiling more than 100 examples of sleek cars from this glory age, Go Faster-author Sven Völker takes us for a joy ride at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart for a whip-fast lesson in competitive war paint, visual anarchy and piggish car designs.
    from gestalten.tv
    pretend to go faster!

i know many people whose life would be made better by this. ;)
    mick - there's a recent update to lotus' sports hybrid (debuted at the geneva motorshow recently), and it features a sound module (for pedestrians as much as the driver. apparently has a couple of different sound options available already (v6 / v8 / futuristic / something else). no doubt it will be pretty easy to hack some more tunes into it...
    Desmosedici Trike concept
    IF A 200BHP Ducati Desmosedici-based trike
    sounds like it could float your boat then cop a load of this beast.

Designed by Nicolas Petit, a 25-year-old professional motorcycle mechanic based in Creil, France, the concept idea is drawn up using all but the rear of Ducati's MotoGP racer, allied to a meaty looking two-wheel front.
  • edited March 2010
    lotus engineering recently showed a new electric vehicle (range extender hybrid) at the geneva show. the car features a sound generator which is audible both inside and outside the car - so you don't scare peds by creeping up on them, etc ;)

3 sounds available atm, v6, v12 and the jetsons.

check it out at this link!
    chris said...mick - there's a recent update to lotus' sports hybrid (debuted at the geneva motorshow recently), and it features a sound module (for pedestrians as much as the driver. apparently has a couple of different sound options available already (v6 / v8 / futuristic / something else). no doubt it will be pretty easy to hack some more tunes into it...
    :D i like "mine" better. it's sexy.... like a hole in your muffler...

that Lotus needs to offer a 4th option.

;) remember this?

(i had a hard time finding it.. you'll have to click a couple of times)

insanity
    honda 3r-c
    honda 3r-c
    the honda 3r-c concept
    - single-seat 3 wheeler powered by a lithium ion battery.
    racing vespa
    what he said
    potholes are all too common on the roads of the UK. some areas are far worse than others, and the recent (ish) cold weather has done nothing for the quality of the road surfaces around here! not so bad in a car, but can get a little hairy, to say the least, when on a bike.

the 'high-vis' pothole

Domenico Diego and Cristina Corradini have designed the “Street Safe Initiative,”
    which comprises a brightly-coloured layer of asphalt a few inches beneath the surface of the road, which becomes visible when the road surface breaks up, making potholes easier to see and avoid.
    Erm... doesn't it make it more dangerous with cars and bikes swerving to miss the potholes?

How 'bout our govermint actually spending the money from the road licence fee... on the roads? I know, ker-azy, right?
    i dunno about more dangerous. swerving isn't ideal - maybe slowing down and avoiding the pot holes when safe to do so is what it's all about ;)

road licence fee? right! (going up £30 this year, what the fuck?)
    also, fill that hole (SFW ;)) - i've submitted a few today, so far :D
    Yeah, who slows down though?
    tsk tsk...
    No, I mean other drivers. I just ride over the pot holes innit
  • edited March 2010
    Ride over it, damage your wheel or bend your axle and sue the council. They'll have to pay. If enough people start doing it they'll mend the roads...it's laziness more than anything else as with most of the problems with the country today!
    to be honest, it just feels like running over a small child in the Jeep :wink:
    I just got myself this little one to play with :)
    RIIIIIIINGGG DING DING DING DING!!!

noice! i even had a fantom waft of 2t then, loverly jubberly :D
    Ferrari 599XX sets new record on the Nurburgring

Video: Shell Helix Ultra Transparent Nissan 370Z Demonstrates How Oil Works Inside Your Car

"of course, we can do anything, given the time and the budget" :D
    "of course, we can do anything, given the time and the budget" ;) my bolding.

it reminds me of this (only more see-through).

click for slightly larger pic of the 1948 Buick Streamliner.
    MINI vs porsche

mini vs porsche
    mini vs porsche
  • edited June 2010

robert llewelyn's new show about EVs (electric vehicles), and maybe some hybrids, too. also, lots of pokes at top gear :D