i need more help with the list of gamer terms, please.

edited July 2009 in conversations
here is the list in its current state.

i'd like the terms to appeal to a broad spectrum of gamers (that would make the little book more salable). i ALSO would like to make it easy for the Gamer's Alphabet to be humorous. :)

i appreciate the effort of the contributors so far, but would like to eliminate (or nearly so) terms that will only be recognized by a players of a single game. i've added a few more that were suggested by other folks; i purposely didn't add any of the Guitar Hero terms that were suggested.

what needs to be eliminated? and.. the "Y" category is not very satisfying yet.

A: Arena, Aggro, Assault, Ammunition, Attack, Assassinate, Arena, Avatar, Area of Effect (AOE)

B: Buff, buffed, Battleground, Backup, Blaster, Bomb, BFG, Bots, Boosh, Bunnyhopping, Bio (bathroom break)

C: Class, Clicker, CC (Crowd Control), Control Point, CTF, Camp(ing), Chaingun, Crosshairs, Clan, Carebear, Clothie, Camping

D: DPS, DKP, Dungeon, Debuffs. Dominating, Destruction, Deathmatch, Dual Wield, Dex, Ding (new level), Dirt Nap, DMG(damage)

E: Epix, Explosion, Enraged, Emote

F: Facemelt, Focus, Flagged. Flag, Frag, Flak Cannon, Free-for-all, Farm, fps (frames per second), FPS(first person shooter), fat lewtz

G: GM, Gear. Grenade, Godlike, Gravity, Godmode, Gank, Griefer

H: Healer, Hardcore, Headshot, Healthpack, HUD

I: Instance, Incendiary, Instagib, Imba( Imbalanced)

J: Jargon, Jarate (TF2), joystick, Jump boots

K: Keybinds (or just Binds), Killing spree, Killshot, kek, killcam,

L: LFG (looking for group), LEEEROOOOY JEEENKINS (this would need to go after H in the lineup.), Loot, LoS (Line of Sight), Lava, Love tap, Last Man Standing, Lag, Lowbie

M: Melee, Mount, Merked/Merced, Multikill, Mutilate, M-M-M-M-M-Monsterkill, Mule, mod,

N: Noob, Nerf, Nerdrage, Ninja (looter / pull), Nailgun, NPC

O: Overpowered, Overkill, Owned, Opposition

P: Pull, Pet, PVP/PVE, PEWPEWPEW, pwn, Physics, Portal, Pistol, PEW PEW PEW LAZOR!, poopsock (ewww?), punkbuster

Q: Quad Damage, QQ ("stop crying" -this is coldhearted)

R: Raid, Ranged, Ragequit, Respawn, Railgun, Red Vs Blue, Rockets, Run & Gun, Random Encounter,

S: Spec, Steamrolled, Shotgun, Sniper, Sentry, Suicide, Shield, statswhore, Smurf, Spawn,Squishy, Spawn, Spawncamping, Sandbagging, Speedrun

T: Tank, Tanking, Target, Team, Team Fortress, Teleport, Teamspeak, Turtle, Twink, Train (aggro mobs, lead them to your enemies), Telefrag

U: Underpowered, Undergeared, Ultrakill, Upgrades, Uber

V: Viable, Victory

W: Wipe, Win quote

X: Xray, XBox Live/XBL (would need a snarky quip)

Y: Yell

Z: Zone, Zap, Zerging

Comments

• edited 11:28PM
    Here's a gaming dictionary. Unfortunately, nothing great for 'Y'.
    thanks flak. i'm tempted to add "yahoo!". ;)
    #20 wtf blueshead? Why the ban?
    JP (japanese)
    WC (water closet aka going to take a piss)
    CS, Cut (cut scene)
    never seen epic with an x
    blueshead said...#20 wtf blueshead? Why the ban?
    i'm trying to not use common internet terms. blueshead getting banned is ubiquitous. :D
    sunk said...never seen epic with an x
    that was part of base's list. i don't "get" a lot of the terms, so can't speak to that one.

WC and CS/cut added. thank you. JP is a little too "used everywhere", i think.
    i would really really really appreciate some of you experienced and knowledgeable gamers helping me pull out the terms that are only specific to one game.
    well not on the list but "jponry" was unique to FFXI and yes even the JP used it. racists.
    Jarate is specific to TF2, that can go. Flak cannon is specific to Unreal/Unreal Tournament.

I'd change Zerging to 'Zerg Rush', as that's much more common. It's specific to Starcraft, but it's well known outside of Starcraft circles.

I don't think 'epix' and 'fat lewtz' are common enough words.

Oh, another for R - 'reload'. :D
    thanks flak. :) list updated
  • edited July 2009
    healbot- someones personal healer
    lit= keep was hit
    aoe= area of effect
    wc=war camp
    hot= heal over time
    dot= damage over time
    pat= patrol
    nerf= make it weaker
    gank= to attack someone
    bio= bathroom break
    dps=dmg per sec
    pewpew= range dps
    instagib= 1 shot
    gimped= broken
    gm= guild master
    vent= ventrilo
    camp=to continuously kill a player right after they rez or release.
    rez=when a healer brings you back to life with partial health
    realease= have to run back to your corps as a ghost or at wc but with low health and some gear dmg
    dmg= damage
    repair= when gear is worn or breaks down over time need to pay to repair

will add once i remember some more
    good stuff babyT. :)

are those general terms, or are they strongly associated with a particular game?

i'll try to clean the list up later; i'm running short of time atm

x
    fub= fuck you blueshead.. associated with most online games except "Dress up Barbie"
    list updated. it's not getting smaller! :(

heh

blues', i delicioused you a link to the perfect Barbie for gamers. you'll need to add your own special purple touches.

x
    this list needs to be smaller.
    your scope is pretty broad - is it likely to arrive at a distilled list that encompasses everyone's gaming experience?

sounds more like you make a series of volumes FPS, Sports, whatever ...

"Gamers Alphabet MMPG Edition™©®"
  • edited July 2009
    I believe all but 1 are general use ingame mmo. WC= war camp
    base= warcamp etc.
    thanks again, babyT. you've been kind and responsive to my uninformed questions.
    urbansurgeon said...your scope is pretty broad - is it likely to arrive at a distilled list that encompasses everyone's gaming experience?

sounds more like you make a series of volumes FPS, Sports, whatever ...

"Gamers Alphabet MMPG Edition™©®"
    i want to end up with a list showing a couple of terms for each letter that most every gamer will recognize and be able to relate to.