James Turrell

Jeremy Moon

Comments

• edited 12:54PM

Anthony McCall
    Oh yeah... that's full of win!
    He exhibited at the Serpentine recently. It was amazing!

Irwin Redl

I'ma sucker for light installations!
    Nice
    i like lights, too! now i need to post those 'fluro tubes in a field'...
  • edited February 2008

powered by electromagnetic field from the powerlines above.

richard box
    excellent ! I'd like to see that
    chris said...

powered by electromagnetic field from the powerlines above.

richard box
    WIN!
  • edited February 2008
    squapple said...excellent ! I'd like to see that
    i'm pretty sure his "installation" would have gone by now, it was near bristol somewhere, i think.

get some fluorescent tubes and stick them under some electrickery pylons ;) from what i understand, the pylon that he 'stuck 'em under was not typical - it carried the powerlines lower than normal due to flight paths, and maybe even more cables than normal. it's all to do with the field created between the cables and the ground, though. i'm sure it could be done at loads of different sites.
    Exactly :wink:
    edit*
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 12:54PM
    Oooooo all the pretty lights. Super.:happy:
  • edited February 2008
    Stot

Franco's contemporary art portal, STOT

(It's where i go for the lowdown)
  • edited February 2013
    Maurizio Savini

^ chewing gum :happy:
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 12:54PM
    Ooooo loverly.

Artist Roger Hiorns has found a novel use for a condemned flat
    - he's caked it in copper sulphate crystals. read more about it at the guardian.
    audrey kawasaki's rome show
    some bits and bobs from audrey kawasaki's rome show
    - better images at the link, too!
    It's a pity she doesn't post on YH anymore eh?
    i can't really remember her posting a huge amount, even when she did. i do remember leah posting about her all the time though, and posting photos of many exhibitions. that was pretty good.
    i wonder if she gets tired of drawing the same thing over and over and over and over.

:) likely not, since they sell so well.

a lot of talent, but it's the same thing.. over and over and over.
    Geometric art
    from andy gilmore
    quilt patterns! wow

:) nice
    can't embed this, but it's very much worth watching

Gardens of Numbers
    Inspired by the complex numerical relationships identified in talismanic objects or tables the Iranian artist Yahya Fiuzi creates art by interpreting the numbers as colours. Doing so, he produces intricate abstract geometrical shapes which celebrate the numerical relationships throughout the work but also produces works of a highly aesthetic nature.
    tips for artists
    ok, that wasn't really my kind of thing (i didn't think i had a thing, tbh. but it seems i must have, and it isn't that :D). i did, however, dig his fluorescent paintings.

"skip intro" button, please. maybe a plain html site... hehe
    Geometric art is beautiful!
    You know Shepard Fairey is a political activist, a graphic designer, a social movement, and a tagger. But is he also museum quality?

Boston's Institute of Contemporary Art seems to think so. They just announced a retrospective of Shepard Fairey's work set for February 2009 - the first time a major museum has ever given him a solo show.

toby said...

Anthony McCall
    [shamelessly name dropping] I just had an exhibition with Anthony (and he's a thoroughly nice bloke too). [/shamelessly name dropping]

And thanks for the stot mention, meska. :D

I shall add to this once I can actually load the page to see the other content. Horrible connection at work.
  • edited November 2008
    just so you know... ;) i cruise Stot often, too.

was really stoked to see the resurgence of the Guerrilla Girls™ work.

for ease of surfing: Stot
    Oh that's good to know!

You may have noticed that I haven't updated the exhibitions recently, apologies - I've been too busy having my own so it has taken a back seat.
  • edited November 2008

Olafur Eliasson's The Weather Project commissioned for the Turbine Hall at Tate Modern in London.

Still one of the best installations I've ever experienced.

[edit] I can't see the video. bah
  • edited November 2008
    quit your 'bah'ing!

Thanks, Orson! :D
    I love Andy Gilmour's stuff
    René François Ghislain Magritte (21 November 1898 - 15 August 1967) was a Belgian surrealist artist. He became well-known for a number of witty and thought-provoking images.
    Happy birthday or something...

• edited January 2009
    currency art from hanna von goeler

currency art from hanna von goeler

My Money, My Currency by Hanna von Goeler (browser resize detected!)

"My currency work originated in California, while I was studying at UC Davis. I was very interested in camouflage at the time. This interest led me to create my first paintings on dollar bills, between 1992-94, in which I camouflaged/painted images onto and into bills. A death in the family led me to the east coast, and faced with the costs of living in New York City on an artist’s budget, I continued to paint on money."
    Japan based artist Ryohei Hase.

Image of "Go Forword and Forword" is used as the cover for FIGHTSTAR's new single "The English Way". by Japan based artist Ryohei Hase.

A new art installation going on display at the European Council building in Brussels has angered EU members with its lampoons of national stereotypes.

Entropa portrays Bulgaria as a toilet, Romania as a Dracula theme-park and France as a country on strike.
    beacon - light installation
    Beacon is a kinetic light installation
    with a mind of its own. An array of emergency beacon lights interacts with visitors, tracking their movement through the space, creating an immersive and playful experience.

The installation exploits a transfer of technologies from existing industrial products. The beacon lights have had their internal parts replaced with custom hardware, enabling the rotation of the reflector and lamp brightness to be individually controlled. Thermal imaging cameras have been adapted to track the participants' movement through the space.

'Beacon' is orchestrated in real-time by a bespoke control system, which uses tracking information from the cameras to coordinate an interactive and highly responsive behaviour.
    This reminds me of something I read about a while ago. Sven Vath has a night club with an LED / light wall which senses you walking past, lighting up the relief of your body as you walk down a corridor. I'll try and find it...
    ^^post is useless without vids

I like the idea though.

squapp, makes a change from sticky floors :wink:
    Actually I just looked at your link and the vid and changed my mind :tongue:
    i was going to post the video, but it was a bit of a let down. i'm sure it is much cooler in real life than the video shows.
    whale scene 'tape mural'