some music vids i like

edited December 2008 in conversations
ok, there's a part of me that likes things all sorted and slotted properly. i actually spent minutes dithering about which thread to put music vids...

motiongraphics? well... maybe .. sometimes
internet doesn't get better?... again.. maybe
music i've been listening to? eh.. sometimes i watch them with the sound off. ;)

so

i like this. Sia is upbeat, quirky, and has a lush rough voice. I like it that she signs so poetically while singing, too.

Comments

• edited 2:23PM
    and this one.. i'm not much of a Royksöpp fan; way too much electronica for my tastes, usually....

but this vid, with Karin Dreijer Andersson from The Knife... i want to sing the song (my own way, of course)... and the visual environment is superb.

I always put my favourite videos in the "your work, finished" thread

big wink
    there's that advantage to your work, i guess. :) if you don't like it, you fix it until you do.
    it surprised me how much i like this, considering i've been complaining about Fairey fatigue.

Some music vids I like:

a couple of those are visually interesting. :) i like getting a sense of what people enjoy. electronic music just never did it for me, but different's what makes the world go 'round, yes?

this one is interesting, for me.

the sound quality is not-so-good (yootubery), and i prefer them live, but the ani-work in well done and apt.

i have to say that i'm not really objective about their music; they're family. i do love harmony, real musicianship and live performance.

this is an example: they went to the Palais Royale to sing play and record in that vast space. they did it, and it came out ok, but every single one of them hated it.

the vid opens with afterwards, when they just went outside and sat down on the grass and started to sing. if you watch the whole thing, you'll see what i mean about them hating that enormous echoing vault; it added a false tone to the song.

I'm not allowed to post my favourite videos here..
  • edited December 2008

I used to have a t-shirt with the Foo Fighters playing 'All My Life' in front of that red background... :D
    flak, the first one doesn't embed "by request".

Pretender's a great song. watching that, i'm so grateful that Grohl has good teeth. ;)

the Beastie Boys had so much fun. heh... and that's a killer bass line.

heh, you know, i think Foo Fighters are one of the most consistently smart bands working. All My Life has a marvellous structure.
  • edited December 2008
    They are my absolute favorite! And I didn't even have to link to anything from 'The Colour and the Shape', I'm just assuming everyone's already heard that one. :D

Edit: Also, replaced video for The Pretender ;)
    nicko, the video for Star Guitar is by far the best music video ever EVER!

:smile:

I was gonna post that one but I shall find some more when I have a little more time.
    Okay a quick one;

Electrasy - Morning Afterglow

• edited December 2008
    elliot, was that electrasy's only "hit"? it's the only one i ever heard, and that was quite a few years ago. it's a strong song.

i think this la fresh:

for the choreography if nothing else....Omaha Bitch/Orgasmic Troopers

ok, this is funny.

work sucks
    mick said... you know, i think Foo Fighters are one of the most consistently smart bands working.
    what mick said
    mick said...ok, there's a part of me that likes things all sorted and slotted properly. i actually spent minutes dithering about which thread to put music vids...

motiongraphics? well... maybe .. sometimes
    internet doesn't get better?... again.. maybe
    music i've been listening to? eh.. sometimes i watch them with the sound off. ;)

so

i like this. Sia is upbeat, quirky, and has a lush rough voice. I like it that she signs so poetically while singing, too.
    thats a great song! thanks for sharing.

btw. if you like sia you should definately check out "zero 7". sia is doin the vocals in almost every song on their albums.
  • edited December 2008
    zero 7... i will. :)

i looked around for something with "electronic" sound that i liked.

this is clever and catchy.

;) dust it off and jerk it.....

(that's a huge cock, btw)
    That was pretty awesome, michael! :D
    cool michael. :) that's the best vid they've done; i hadn't seen it.

i like their post-punkish sound and energy, and i've a pal in Montreal who's a hardcore groupie for We Are Wolves.

NSW (gore).

this is compellingly beautiful music from Damien Jurado and his group. the vid is amazing.
    what could be better than unrequited love combined with monsters destroying a city, i ask you?

mick: nothing! thanks! :D
    indeed, there's nothing better :) nicely done too!
    this one is really amazingly well done. i like Gnarls Barkely's voice, and the (yes, cartoon gore) animation is fantastic.

this youtube vid is a teaser. link to the fulll video (small/quicktime) is on the director, Chris Milk's page.

Ooh, I saw that one before - I really liked it. Notice Gnarls in the kitchen!
  • edited December 2008
    Some classic ones

you know, of all the people that send me music vids, you'd think one of them would have included UNKLE. why have i never heard of them before now?!

that second piece is very powerful. both those pieces have some kind of weird religiousity to them, but i really like the second one. :) thank you.

Queens of the Stone Age... fun stuff.

the TV on the Radio one is... meh for me, but i'm unfond of that style of vidwork in general. they're having some good success lately; i'm liking their sound these days.
    this one's on a slow match, but it does ignite. :) it's very beautiful.

from Fever Ray's self-titled debut album. If I Had A Heart.. confession: i'm all a-swoon over Karin Anderson's voice; she's got power.
  • edited January 2009
    here's a nice stop-motion short with TVOR's Owl and Stork.

click pic to go to QT mov.
    is it too soon for this to be a classic?

a hero comes from the wilderness to cry out to the captives, pleading for them to awaken. i'm no way religious and this is still awesome. Brian McCormick (Dir) is a very talented man.
    this is just too funny. :)

the rendering must have been tedious and difficult. i'm glad they stuck with it.

:) flak, what i like best about that Rex the Dog vid is the "how to" aspect. it's really clever and the pace is perfect.

urb... that is sweet as pie. my daughter sang that song a lot when she was preteen (read: incessant). i've sent her the link; she's going to get a happy from it.

the most romantic kiss i've ever seen in a music video, and amazing morphing animated visual fun ;)
    i have a bunch....

out of the 114 music vid recommendations waiting in my email, i've got more than 10 bookmarked.

maybe a couple a day.... i got overloaded trying to go through them all, and my snap judgment may be faulty (again).

on the cheap, and worth every penny. this is good, and i'm usually unmoved by "electro" sound.

sci-fi fantasy journey of a little girl with a special pet friend, a huge toad.

Hey by Eatliz
    ok... 3

this neither profound, great, nor amazing. i started smiling about 4 seconds in. there's way too much lipdub out there. this one's a keeper, though.
    hey, shut the fuck up, boy; you are starting to piss me off.

totally catchy
  • edited February 2009
    i have just three words for you...

Amanda Fucking Palmer!

the hi def is worth it, btw.

i like her singly much more than i ever have the Dresden Dolls. she's got moxie.
    so... everyone else sees all these videos all the time, right? ah well, they're new to me and i enjoy seeing what people put together to "illustrate" their music.

full screen is best. *nod*
    i'd decided i didn't like this one....

but ultimately it turned out to be compelling; i couldn't get it out of my head.

• edited March 2009
    Lars von Trier directed this classic, shot in one take

oh jamm... what a calm lovely song to skydive to! :)

the whole thing has such a sweet gentle vibe. i had to look up the "unknown" phrase they were singing. "hello, how are you?" in Zulu. hehe.. i expected to find it was dansk.

If that doesn't work, click this link. :D
    yep.. "Embedding disabled by request"

"all along in my whiteboy pain"

clever. the director's sentiment is always what it's about, isn't it? :)
    Righto...

This vid/song combo really makes me think back on some nice summer memories with beer and sun and dirt and stuff... dunno why... i've never been to a stock car race in my life, but it's just evocative of the mood i guess...