the great big car and bike design thread

Comments

• edited 10:33PM
    I'd like one of those!
    there's a video on the linked site, too. no action though, just some pans across stills and a japanese guy talking it up.
    zero emissions because you work it like this:

bmw m6 concept
    bmw m6 concept
    , bit pointy at the front, but the rear looks good :)
    also, no worries about the petrol crisis - it's rumoured to run on dead cyclists that the myopic bmw drivers seem to run over on a regular basis :D
    YES!

220mpg supercar

Our loyal love for the Tesla is being tested by this super sexy and sustainable new sportscar. Hybrid Technologies‘ sleek designed entry to the Automotive X-prize promises to do the one thing that no other car can do: produce a ride that can give you the power of a supercar, with an unmatched efficiency of 220 miles per gallon. Wow, we are definitely being wooed.

The vehicle is coming in two different models, an all electric version, which will have a 150-180 miles range; and a hybrid version which is the one that is being designed to achieve the 220 miles per gallon. As for the performance, they are looking at supercar speeds (think Corvette speeds). Aside from that, not much else is known other than it’ll come with some of the mainstays of hybrid technology, such as regenerative braking.

The company told Popular mechanics that it hopes to have a prototype ready by 2009, with the hopes of having full production by 2010. They are one of a number of manufacturers gunning for the Automotive X-prize, and are certainly looking like a worthwhile contender.
    BMW Gina prototype

Clickity
    ah, dave sent me a link to that yesterday - looks great :)

i wonder about pedestrian safety with this type of bodywork, though. in the video that i saw, the guy was saying that all the safety for passengers could be accomplished using space-frame technology, i wonder how that translates into ped safety hehe.

i guess they could produce a fluffy mohair version, or sumfink.
    the lights are awesome, eh.
    Here's the video of it in motion

triobike 2.0 commando
    trioBike
    is the world's first family carrier bike with 3 independent functions: a bike, 2-seat buggy and multi award winning carrier bike. Simple interchangeable design requires no tools to switch between functions.
  • edited July 2008
    ntv train
    Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori

NTV’s Italian journey has begun: starting in 2011, the passenger service of Italy’s leading high-speed railway operator will get underway.

With its fleet of 25 new trains, NTV offers trips rich in entertaining experiences and service, as well as the utmost comfort.

NTV shall be the first operator worldwide to use the new Alstom AGV train, holder of the world railway speed record.
  • edited July 2008

drill powered bike. !!!!. yes.
    RCA concepts
    RCA Unveils Sleek Sustainable Concept Cars
    - more images and article at inhabitat
    wacky racers for inspiration, eh?
    that BMW with the skin gave me the creeps...mondo is not ready for that particular concept...
    i quite liked it, but i'm not so sure about pedestrian safety with the spaceframe and lycra construction.
    I'm coming round to the idea of that BMW a bit more, now, though it still looks like it belongs in a Cronenberg film...I guess that's not so bad; it's just not...nice...heh

click ^ for the full glory of Hello_leathers. this is legal. someone designed these leathers. ;)
    SAM zero emissions vehicle
    SAM is a Swiss award-winning and patented Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) of a new generation designed and developed by Cree Ltd. SAM is at prototype stage and approved for all public roads. 80 vehicles initially produced for public testing in the cities of Zurich and Basle are currently running mainly on Swiss roads and owned by private consumers.
  • edited August 2008
    Melnichenko £200m super yachtdesigned by philippe starck
    doesn't have very many 'good' angles, though.
    Yup, that's pretty ugly
  • edited August 2008
    that's philippe starck for you, eh.

Subaru Time Lapse Rally Car Assembly - 800 man hours
    (could have saved themselves 25 hours by having just the shell delivered, rather than a whole car of bits they wont use anyway).
    It's kind of like Monster Garage with more money and less fun!
    and a video of it, with a most awesome soundtrack
    WANT!
    “The 2008 Audi O concept was designed by Ondrej Jirec, a design student from the Czech Republic who is beginning studies at the Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California in 2008.

The Audi O concept was designed to fuse a powerful and innovative audio system with a stylish and sporty four-seat hatchback. The exterior design uses several Audi trademark styling themes, especially at the front where the square grille sits neatly between the LED headlights. The doors feature glass windows running along the bottom edge which provide an interesting shape to the profile of the car. At the rear of the car the pullout door echoes the design of the squared off Audi grille.

The styling of the Audi O was influenced by a variety of sources including the Audi Shooting Brake concept from 2005, the Apple iPod and music.”
    More pics
    chris said...
    Where do i buy?
    I love the car, hate the rims...
    nicko said...
    “The 2008 Audi O concept was designed by Ondrej Jirec, a design student from the Czech Republic who is beginning studies at the Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California in 2008.

The Audi O concept was designed to fuse a powerful and innovative audio system with a stylish and sporty four-seat hatchback. The exterior design uses several Audi trademark styling themes, especially at the front where the square grille sits neatly between the LED headlights. The doors feature glass windows running along the bottom edge which provide an interesting shape to the profile of the car. At the rear of the car the pullout door echoes the design of the squared off Audi grille.

The styling of the Audi O was influenced by a variety of sources including the Audi Shooting Brake concept from 2005, the Apple iPod and music.”
    More pics
    Super Cool Sci-Fi Cars From Another Galaxy
    gravion
    The Gravion
    was built to dominate the Gravion Cup races of Glancory. The asymmetrical design accommodates the massive engine used in the Sexy Magrela aerial racers, creating a vehicle capable of 1,300 mph. Taking turns at that speed generates huge G-forces, so the off-center cockpit rotates to keep the driver from snapping his neck. Heated coils in the rear tires keep the rubber hot for optimal adhesion.

1960 Ferrari Rambler Wagon 2-Door Wagon

Riddler Award Winning 1960 Ferrambo Wagon. V8 Power.
    Limited-Edition Fighter Motorcycle
    Limited-Edition Fighter Motorcycle
    - 2litre v-twin, and a bunch of other tasty stuff. check out the full specs on the site :)

smart car bodykits!
    all photoshopped though, not real :'(
    Hey cool, it's got a place for my small animals - inside the wheels. :D
    the helios - Solar Winged Helios Vehicle
    Solar Winged Helios Vehicle
    Solar Winged Helios Vehicle
    via inhabitat
    derringer motorcycle
    Derringer is the neo-classical interpretation of a 1920's era board track racing motorcycle
    , but that's not all.

This revolutionary moto-hybrid was conceived as an exciting new option in highly-efficient transportation. Derringers can be pedaled as a traditional bicycle, propelled via engine power, or pedaled with the assistance of engine power. While under power, the pedals can also remain stationary, allowing you to operate in the style of a traditional motorcycle. Capable of fuel economy ratings that can exceed 150 mpg, Derringers are the first product to take the compromise out of environmentalism, clearly evidenced by the number of customers who purchase a Derringer along with an in-home display stand.