Firefox 3

edited June 2008 in conversations
Anyone downloaded it yet?

If yes, your impressions?

Comments

• edited 10:14AM
    safari 4 rawks!!!!
    Yes, seems pretty good. Nice to have a mac styled interface out of the box. Seem pretty zippie too...
  • edited June 2008
    ff3 is faster and doesn't suffer those evil memory leaks. if you plan to upgrade check whether your extensions are ff3 compatible

and if you are a web developer and are missing firebug for ff3, you can download a beta here: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/1843
    messed up my bookmarks!
  • edited June 2008
    runs like crap for me and I'm on a mega-speedy™ machine.

edit: nevermind, a restart helped. Still not a fan though.
    Me neither. More bloated than me after a chicken shish and chips i had for lunch.
    no probs here. running fast.
    as long as the web dev toolbar, greasmonkey, refcontrol and somethingsomething are available for ff3...

~goes to check
    My bookmarks went funny too, had them all nice too :(
  • edited June 2008
    no problems at all. bookmarks remain as i left them.

it's faster by a LOT, and the memory leak seems gone (probably, that's a "mostly").

i don't like the default theme much. it's like they tried for a mac-like look, but missed on those little subtleties that define close attention to a balanced look. the GrApple Yummy (graphite) theme solved those woes. Arkos' themes are beautiful and stable.

i'm not so sure about the new and improved url bar and the "smart" typing. i'll give it a bit and see; i'm told it takes a bit of time to learn what you do, but is very useful once that is done.

if you want to disable that:

1. Enter about:config in the location bar.
    2. Enter urlbar in the filter bar.
    3. Change browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to True.
    4. Change browser.urlbar.matchRichResults to 0.

and ffs, remember what you did! :D
    yep, installed, bookmarks look fine but on first open that default theme sucketh somewhat
    ...now the excitement is over, goes back to using safari...
    OI!!

have you tried scrolling a big block of text? totally unreadable, even when going really slow. gah
    Bookmarks fix: here
    It happens if you have used a prerelease version of firefox 3 in the past as it uses bookmarks/password etc data that was converted to firefox 3 format when you tried it previously.
    Okay i am trying out V3. How do i get all my bookmark bar to be visible, as i have in Camino? At present ones that don't fit have to be accessed with the fly-out... which is LAME..
    heh

could you elaborate, meska? i gave up on Camino so long ago, i have no idea what you mean.

sidebar or bookmarks menu, is all i know about. (also think sidebar is lame; it takes up too much room)
    the scroll weirdness is nearly a deal-breaker with me.

what is this Safari that people speak of? :D
    I just make bookmark folders on the bookmarks toolbar. Saves space etc
    ah yes, i do that.... i have 9 folders, plus 1 folder for bookmarklets.

trouble is, those damn folders are stuffed and bulging at the seams. every bookmark is a precious jewel, though. *nod*
  • edited June 2008
    Yeah, i have more than 9 folders, and a whole lot of single site links (unrelated) that i need to access regularly. Is there an addon that enables the bookmark bar to accomadate more info?
    heres a nice plug-in for opening/displaying pdfs in ff3: http://code.google.com/p/firefox-mac-pdf/

oh, and you can select/copy multiple text lines/blocks in ff3 by using the command key
    i like the lack of scroll bars :D
    thank you, michael. :)

middi.. you are bragging about your big screen, aren't you? :p
    hehe :D
    Firefox rocks on Windows, no doubt. You can tell the dev's focus has been there, rather than on the Mac. ;)
    Heehee, I installed it, and copied my FF2 profile over (some hacks...) All the extensions I use (and that's a heavy list) seem to be working, thanks to Nightly Tester Tools & MRTech Toolkit - forced version compatibility... The only downside being the theme I'm using, NASA Normal, needing some under-the-hood -work (it's great to be in contact with the dev of it - he has officially dropped it's support, but tried it on FF3 - a year after stooping it's developement, and now, I'm waiting fror some pointers from him:) He might actually pick it up again, for it needs only some minor work.) FF3 is speedy on my measly mac, even with the shitload of extensions I have...
    I likes Ff3. A lot. On Mac or Windows. A rock solid browser.
    i'm still not clear what meska needs from the bookmarks management.

more info? do you tag your bookmarks in Camino?

and.. does Safari have a robust ad-blocker addon? the only Ff extension i am really dependent on is Ad-block.

the scrolling thing is a really big deal for me. i read superfast, and have relied on my ability to scan as i speed-scroll through text. i've gotten a headache every time i tried to :) power-surf the last couple of days.
    Mick, top one is my Camino bookmarks bar, i need Firefox to allow me to see all my folders...
    This is my Firefox one:
    you need a bigger display :D
    i've never seen anything like that, meska, outside of an over-stuffed Word toolbar. :) that's impressive.

Ff bookmark toolbar can have as many folders as you like, subfolders, even. every one of mysubfolders has at least a couple hundred bookmarks in it. the bookmarks in the toolbar are just the frequent flyers. there's more available through the file menu.

my toolbar:
    Yeah i know i should re-organise my bookmarks. Dammit! :)
    By the way, i've changed my view of Firefox. Version 3 is teh hottness™.
    meska said...This is my Firefox one:
    How did you get that theme on FF3? I tried to install it but it said It was incompatible with FF3.
    Safari one? Dunno, i searched for it in themes. I was looking for a Leopard one to match my Camino skin.
    isn't that the default ff3 theme on osx?
    Nope, not default.

http://takebacktheweb.org/
    flak said...Nope, not default.

http://takebacktheweb.org/
    Now THAT looks better, I could actually use that... you know... if it

1. utilized the apple keychain for my username/passwords I can't ever remember
    2. didn't screw up my bookmarks
    3. synced with my iPod touch
    oh, the grapple :)
    i was using it all the time it became my default theme :)
    Grapple Yummy, by Aronnax. :) i prefer the graphite flavour.

used Grapple EOS for years, but it wasn't compatible with Ff 3 when i upgraded.

so.... you all have huge screens and don't have to scroll? no one else has the text-skitter problem?

dammit
    these grapples suck - i liked the lighter EOS version.

i do have to scroll mick, dunno what i did but the scroll bars went and i like it :D
    while i haven't [ever really] noticed a huge jump in speed from one to the next, i have had no bookmark or scrolling issues with ff3, seems to be just fine. and the less faux-shiny gray theme is ok too.
    i just installed ff3, and the grapple graphite yummy scheme. seems fine and dandy so far.
    poxy aqua bubble buttons on forms now though, sheesh.
    the default theme for Ff3 Mac OS X is just dandy.
  • edited June 2008
    chicken said...the default theme for Ff3 Mac OS X is just dandy.
    chicken said...the default theme for Ff3 Mac OS X is just dandy.
    meh, to each his own
    websnap said...meh, to each his own
    Exactly
    Exactly
    Exactly
    Exactly
    :)
    There is absolutely no excuse for this. These tabs have been in Firefox forever, yet they haven't been in the Mac OS since 10.2 Jaguar! Someone needs to give Firefox a GUI overhaul.

Beyond that, no keychain support (yet they built their own password manager) means this app is a ported Windows/Linux app, not a real Mac app. Their focus is not on the Mac platform, it's primarily on Windows - which is fine, as long as they can admit that. ;)

Have you seen how the forms and buttons are pushed together (take a look at Google for an example)? Or, for that matter, how old-school Aqua they look? 10.2's Aqua look isn't old enough to look retro - they should give it a few more years.

They should just port extension support to Camino and be done with it. As it stands, Camino is a poor excuse for a Safari alternative, and Firefox is a big, clunky wolf in sheep's clothing.
    since all I do with Ff3 is surf, I really don't care what the tabs in the prefs look like :)