the great big architecture and urbanism thread

Comments

• edited 10:42PM
    That is impressive. It looks like it isnt safe. So if it is, well done !
  • edited May 2008
    Nice white room, but I'm wondering how you keep it clean? :wink:
    ;)
    That is scary !
    i bet the still turn up late and then proceed to take loads of robot tea breaks.
  • edited May 2008
    lovely prefab, errr... shed, again :D

steel skin, wooden interior.

via: materialicious
  • edited May 2008
    I'm really starting to like these really well designed pre-fabs... I actually kind of want one myself. It's just me though, so I don't know how practical this would be with a family. You'd probably end up driving each other crazy.

Do you have any info on the people that design these, the process they go through, etc.? I've been interested to see how you could possibly do something with this with some of the townships in South Africa and other parts of Africa where inexpensive, durable housing is in short supply. I always thought it'd be really neat if you could setup an organization that focused on providing people with free houses that could be assembled cheaply, quickly, and easily... yet would last.
    a lot of these i've posted in here will have the architects / producers listed on the source sites (they're usually pretty good about that), so it should be quite easy to dig for more info.

i bet it could already be very cheap to do that kind of thing in places such as africa, but when it comes down to it, our governments don't want to do it.
    image there is a video about this place, i highly recommend it

called 'agni jata',
    reminds me of the puglian trullis

photograph of a trulli house in puglia, italy

or the 'eco-dome'
    bull said... there is a video about this place, i highly recommend it...... 'agni jata',
    i couldn't see the video, but omg that's a fine piece of work. i know just enough sanskrit to translate "agni jata" as "achieved fire". the firing process devised sounds absolutely amazing, and it's a lovely structure.

urban is right, the roundishness does remind... :) the longtubes they used in the "ecodome" are cool. imagining filling them in place gives me the shivers, though. imagining placing them AFTER being filled gives me the whimwhams.

one nice thing about round buildings and stonework is .. less roof area to cap.

x
    mick said...
    bull said... there is a video about this place, i highly recommend it...... 'agni jata',
    i couldn't see the video, but omg that's a fine piece of work. i know just enough sanskrit to translate "agni jata" as "achieved fire". the firing process devised sounds absolutely amazing, and it's a lovely structure.

urban is right, the roundishness does remind... :) the longtubes they used in the "ecodome" are cool. imagining filling them in place gives me the shivers, though. imagining placing them AFTER being filled gives me the whimwhams. x
    the way it was translated to me was 'born of fire'. the video is available in hard-copy.

i made the post in reference to the previous couple - efficient affordable low-cost housing. besides the structure itself, i was impressed with how much surplus building material came out of it; i forget the exact figures, probably available somewhere on the website, but there were several thousand additional bricks, household ceramic items, plumbing fixtures, etc fired within - more than enough to construct the next kiln/house. i looked into building one of these where i'm from, there's a lot of clay, unfortunately it makes a better glaze than a solid clay body at the required firing temperatures. would have been great to build it into the side of the hill from which the clay had been taken.

yes, a lot of work.
    i'll go with your translation, bull. it makes much more sense than mine. i was just winging it. all my sanskrit is "hippie talk". you know.. boli shri satguru dev.. that kind of thing.

my fascination is with the way the structure was set to fire from both sides at once. it's impressive too, that the firing seeded the next structure. :)

and.. a lot of work is right, but that kind of creative "making" can be exceptionally satisfying. some people throw money at things, some throw their energy in other ways.

x
    curious zipper lake
    That zip's pretty cool :D
    very nice :) is there a collar at the other end?
    i just found where it is, and there's another photo of it here - http://www.pbase.com/hung_ming_weng/museum&page=2
    other than being concrete [ just personal taste, i'd prefer stone...] i enjoy this one very much. thanks for posting chris.
    As a reaction to all the sheds :happy:

Royal Ontario Museum
    Toronto, Canada
    This Royal Ontario Museum project entails renovating ten new galleries in the existing historical building and creating an extension to the museum: the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal. The new extension provides dynamic new architecture, the creation of a great public attraction and 100,000 sq. ft. of new exhibition space. Situated on one of the most prominent intersections in downtown Toronto, the Museum becomes a dynamic center for the city. SDL is working on this project with Vanbots Construction. The Extension opened in June 2007.
    there's only two sheds on this page :p

and the last one i posted is a low impact eco freaky thing, all untreated rough wood, no foundations etc. plus, i think the slats-as-sunshades is beautiful. in fact, i'm going to post another example of that...
  • edited May 2008
    you know, i really want to post some photos of the new building we'll be moving in to early next month (if it's finished - already missed a completion date or two :D). can't find anything on the web for it yet though, which is a little surprising.

//edit

lol, found this -
    these are old photos, it's a little nearer completion than these show :D

[hide]ethos ethos ethos[/hide]

Taking Back the City: studio d'ARC Live/Work
    not sure i'm digging this, but there's certainly some great elements to it!

coloured pencil fence. i wouldn't try climbing over that!
    that is cool ! eccentric but very well done
    Nuffin wrong with sheds. I've posted a few too. Variety, Christopher, variety :tongue:
    bull said...other than being concrete [ just personal taste, i'd prefer stone...] i enjoy this one very much. thanks for posting chris.
    ££££££££££££££ :o

lol.
    jamm said...
    bull said...other than being concrete [ just personal taste, i'd prefer stone...] i enjoy this one very much. thanks for posting chris.
    ££££££££££££££ :o

lol.
    yeah, huh? :) marble taste and a prefab budget ;) oh well.
    chris said...you know, i really want to post some photos of the new building we'll be moving in to early next month (if it's finished - already missed a completion date or two :D). can't find anything on the web for it yet though, which is a little surprising.

//edit

lol, found this -
    here's the road side of it yesterday, can't really get a good photo of the river side with my razr :D
    lol @ ur razr
    what are your photos like with the iphone, nicko? :D
    pretty good :happy: see:
    aye, that's not bad - i've heard a lot of grumbles about iphone picture quality deteriorating. the razr has always been pretty crap though ;)
    also, i'll be on the riverside of that building, with uninterrupted views of what we could see before they started building that building hehe
    ha ha, nice one. If you can't beat 'em...
    This has just opened... I was working on it last year... pretty cool,

Link

pic
  • edited May 2008
    beijing airport
    beijing airport
    beijing airport

beijing airport is apparently the largest in the world, currently :)

Seifert House / Bau Kultur
    ...the new house ... should fuse with nature in order to give her an immanent feeling of the change of seasons.
    barcode mall, st. petersburg