the great big architecture and urbanism thread

Comments

• edited 9:13AM
    oh, i dunno, it looks like it could be pretty handy...

The somewhat forbidding exterior of David Yocum and Brian Bell's architecture office in Atlanta - click for slideshow.
  • CPUCPU
    edited March 2008
    edited

stupid, bandwith stealing hotlinkers :happy:
    ^ no hotlinking :'(
    high-density housing:

which one is the biffy?
    lol :D
    oi!
    nicko said...Feb 3rd called :wink:
    why.. WHY does he only call when he wants something?!?! i am rethinking Feb3's and my relationship. *nod*
    mick said...

why.. WHY does he only call when he wants something?!?! i am rethinking Feb3's and my relationship. *nod*
    HEH!

hotel aire de bardenas
    - more images
    Diane von Fürstenberg Studio - NYC by WORK Architecture Company

The Rucksack House by Stefan Eberstadt

1.5-billion-square-foot Waterfront City in Dubai by Rem Koolhaas

Klein Bottle House by McBride Charles Ryan
    This vacation home design by McBride Charles Ryan called “Klein Bottle” is located in outside Melbourne Australia. It is a non-orientable surface, i.e., a surface (a two-dimensionaltopological space) with no distinction between the “inside” and “outside” surfaces.

Kind of reminds me of:
    architecture in tokyo

pingmag
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 9:13AM
    Ahhh.The structure reminds me of famous shots of the last pieces of the The World Trade Center left standing on ground zero, after...
    ^^ it's blossoming!! :)
    chris said...
    hotel aire de bardenas
    - more images
    i saw that ^ and immediately thought of the housing for volunteer (not iraqi) civilians in iraq.

trailers
    the swimming pool is just the other side of the sandbags, right? :D
    lol!
    lol
    “Vertical Village” to be Stacked in Singapore
    chris said...the swimming pool is just the other side of the sandbags, right? :D
    yes indeed. the rocks and mirror combo was an unfortunate choice, though.:P

that monolithic stacked living space... eek! just.. eek. pretty white paint just doesn't help.
  • edited March 2008
    In Qinhuangdao, China the Tanghe River Park features a new installation of a red steel bench that runs for half a kilometre through the park.

red ribbon steel bench

more photos...
    ^ :happy:
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 9:13AM
    wow. that is lovely to look at.
    We have plans for the 120th anniversary, of course, but nothing as good as like this.
  • edited March 2008

Sanzhi UFO Houses

From what I can gather online, this place was built in the 70s as a resort but was later abandoned. I couldn't find any definitive explanation about why exactly it was abandoned, however. There's some talks about failed partnerships and/or real estate bubbles. Apparently the location is too hot in the summers and too cold in the winters. The fiberglass shells of these houses certainly don't help with insulation. I also couldn't find out whether they were ever occupied in any capacity.

If you are in Taiwan, it's definitely worth a visit. From Taipei, head towards Danshui, get on Route 2 and follow the direction for Sanzhi. It will be on the left side of the road, along the coast. You can't miss it.
    flickr set linky
    Google map linky
  • edited April 2008
    nicko said...Klein Bottle House by McBride Charles Ryan
    etc.
    this is totally hott™, i want one!
    Hotel set Within a Beautiful Water-Filled Quarry

Atkins has won an international competition to design a five-star resort hotel set within a beautiful 100 meter deep quarry in the Songjiang district close to Shanghai in China.
    Some interior shots of the oslo opera house i posted a couple of months back

oslo opera house

more >>>
    co2 saver house in poland
    CO2 SAVER: Sustainable Lakeside House in Poland

Optimizing passive solar gain and using untreated local wood, this sustainable home on Lake Laka in Poland was designed by architect Piotr Kuczia. The south side soaks up the sun reducing the amount of active heating, while the north side opens up to vistas of the lake. Many of the materials were locally sourced, reducing the amount of unnecessary transport required for construction, hence the moniker CO2 saver. But there are many other ways that this home saves on CO2.

inhabitat article >
    coloured stripes
    another shed :happy:

• edited April 2008
    The Architect Daniel Libeskind is currently working on this 25,000sq m public building for the City University of Hong Kong. The distinctive crystalline design will serve as an architectural icon for the departments and create an extraordinary range of spaces rich in form, light, and material that, together, will create an inspiring environment for research and creativity.

Imperial War Museum North
    Where's that lake house from? very nice setting!
    jamm:

Sunset Cabin, Lake Simcoe, Ontario

The owner couple of this beautiful pre-fabricated cabin on the shores of Lake Simcoe in Ontario, Canada, has been coming to their large recreational property for a quarter-century. But the big property in a great recreational location translated into lots of overnight guests and no privacy for the owners.

They felt they needed a “getaway,” a place at their own property where they could capture the peace and serenity of the surrounding four-season nature without disturbing any of the existing trees or structures. They needed a place that remembers what the Simcoe cottage-country is all about.

The brilliant, award-winning solution by Toronto-based Taylor Smyth Architects is the one-room Sunset Cabin, a real cabin with a decidedly contemporary feel. The wonderful cabin has won several architectural and design awards and met the clients’ needs perfectly.

It is a one-room (190 square feet in size), self-contained box that was built by furniture craftsmen in four weeks in a Toronto parking lot and installed on site in 10 days.

Three of the exterior walls are floor-to-ceiling glass and of those, two are encased in horizontal cedar-screens for privacy, shade and light effects inside. One of the cedar screens has a large opening providing a direct view of the sunset from the built-in bed. The rest of the screen has random smaller gaps to allow various vignettes of the surrounding nature and to create fantastic light patterns inside. The slats are positioned so that there is no direct view in from the outside, but at the same time, it the inside feels almost wall-less.

The untreated cedar of the outer structure will turn silvery grey over time, helping the cabin blend in with its natural surroundings. In addition, the roof, visible from the existing main building, is a green roof planted with native plants of the area, further ensuring that the building mixes in with the landscape rather than sticks out in it.

All interior surfaces are unpainted birch veneer plywood, including the built-in storage cabinets. Doors at both ends of the cabin allow for cross ventilation. The interior floor extends outside to form a deck where the rustic feel continues with the screened-off outdoor shower.
    chris said...Hotel set Within a Beautiful Water-Filled Quarry

Atkins has won an international competition to design a five-star resort hotel set within a beautiful 100 meter deep quarry in the Songjiang district close to Shanghai in China.
    Fantastic!
    Luxury Eco-Getaways in the UK

NATURAL RETREATS Luxury Eco-Getaways in the UK
    that hotel in a quarry is a very cool idea. :)

the sky bridge in langkawi, malaysia

one pylon... leaning at an angle. the bridge is guyed to the pylon. i'm impressed.