Why are more cities and towns taking on place branding?

edited April 2019 in creations

As more areas invest in new identities, we speak to designers and councils about why this is a growing trend, the benefits a visual brand can bring to a locality and the ethical issues to consider.

The post Why are more cities and towns taking on place branding? appeared first on Design Week.

Comments

• feels like they've chosen some weak examples to illustrate this article, i bet there are some awesomer ones that have been done somewhere!

often see a few of these city branding efforts pop up on brand new every now and then - there have been a few US ones that i can remember, and a french one (that may have already been posted here somewhere...).

• when everybody is doing it - it becomes saminess. blanding. yes, it is nice to go to a city where things are visually organized and feel brand new - but i'm kind of tired of the mallification of everywhere. i think most people are...except maybe 'influencers'. all those awkward faux city spaces (thinking of Seattle and Miami specifically) just waiting for a Trader Jo's to be installed.

globalism was mostly a positive thing on culture itself, but do we really want the same boutique'y kitchenware shop in every city? special isn't special anymore.

one day, there will be a city with real balls to say what it is instead of nice copywritisms.

Try Your Luck. Only 15 Murders Per Day.

We Hate You Even More When You Try To Speak Our Language.

No Smiles. Bad Looks. Long Stares. But The Drug Runners Are Gorgeous.

We Love To Bilk You In Every Way.

+++

can't sleep...have a stomach ache... ;)

• ...I'm not sure it's that new either, I can remember campaigns twenty years ago but maybe the motives/rational/style has changed; and there are some naffer straplines?!

• What the hell is up with this wall in Belfast (our dinner guests were telling us about this)?!

"We want to get along but 'somebody' won't let us."

"We are simply confused."

"We are too old to care and enjoy riding the bus."

"After xxPM the gremlins come out so we have to lock that wall door."

• The city of Vienna has been rebranded, with a new identity that looks to put “humans at its heart” and aims to serve tax-paying citizens as well as tourists.

Vienna, Austria’s capital city, is currently the best place to live worldwide, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s global liveability index conducted last year. The survey looks at many factors, including crime and safety, healthcare, pollution and infrastructure.

The city is known for its public services, such as free university education and healthcare, as well as low-cost housing, and a commitment to maintain half of Vienna as green spaces.

The new place brand, which has been designed by global studio Saffron’s Vienna office, looks to celebrate the “Viennese ethos” of “putting human beings at the heart of everything it does”.

It aims to be “highly prominent in the lives of Vienna’s inhabitants”, says Saffron, and is being incorporated across touchpoints that are part of citizens’ “day-to-day lives”. This includes signage at public parks, buildings and universities, print materials for local services and governmental departments, advertising for museums, banners on public transport such as buses and tourism apps.

It also brings the city’s 70 governmental departments under one brand, which previously used different, inconsistent logos.

• Well I much the new one (what were they thinking, before!).

...though it could double as a life or health insurance logo too?

• Umm, yes, interesting.

• omg i love fgrotesk!

• edited July 2019

That reads like I'm being sarcastic! I wasn't being…

I wonder how LDN will sit after ƒ-exit. I guess that'll depending on how much the cons sell us down the river…

And, I was surprised to see Berlin wasn't higher (though only just out of the top-10).

Oh yes.