Hah.. Blast from the past...

edited April 2018 in conversations
ihcra chic , sock, CPU, chicken, kleinholz, vortexual, mick, shepleffel, meska, NightCrawler and more!

https://web.archive.org/web/20051230180208/http://www.baseboard.net:80/

Comments

• Wow, what a blast from the past... how long ago! Oh the days before Fuckedbook!

That's great, thanks for posting that :)

You doin' okay Blues'?
  • Wow, what a blast from the past... how long ago! Oh the days before Fuckedbook!

That's great, thanks for posting that :)

You doin' okay Blues'?
    I'm alright.. I take my meds and haven't pissed on anyone's shoe for over 2 weeks... :)

• …haven't pissed on anyone's shoe for over 2 weeks... :)
    That's good.

:D

• i was hoping to find software links. :(
  • i saw jesse's name in the who's online list this morning!
  • i was hoping to find software links. :(
    Here you go ;)
    Oh my, maybe we need to be offering incentives to all these lurkers... what would facebook do...? :!:
  • edited April 2018
    i was hoping to find software links. :(
    Here ya go. :)

Oh my, maybe we need to be offering incentives to all these lurkers... what would facebook do...? :!:
    well, i've already sold all the personal information, so i'm out of ideas at this point.

• well, i've already sold all the personal information, so i'm out of ideas at this point.
  • ...so, brexit's all your fault :!:
  • my goshness, it's michael!

happy birthday, old man!
  • Hah!
    ~waves
  •  ~ waves back

why thank you, soc...chris!

how is everyone? :)
  • Kuck mal, der Kleinholz! I'm fine. You?
  • Kleiny!
  • i'm also all good, ta :)

tao is asking after you, too - you'll need a messages-linked account (send me your phone number?) and we can drag you in to chat...
  • Flippin' heck, it's like 2005 allover again :!:

~waves, again! :)
  • Glad you guys doin well.

What is a messages-linked account? Some kind of fancy messaging system/app here at the board?
    well, i've already sold all the personal information, so i'm out of ideas at this point.
    I guess you aready have my phone number then :)
  • Loved that place! If only I had a time machine :(
  • edited June 2018
  • sounds like a fucking dictatorship!
  • Towards the bottom there was a misspelling. This must be corrected! "Do not do anythign illegal"
  • from what i remember we only added the last two paragraphs so we could deny responsibility in the event that blues posted the good stuff ;) The other was all vbulletin standard agreement stuff. And i was probably asked to check over it and probably didn't and said it was all good :D
  • I still have your signed declaration that all was good.
  • God, I need to read the small print more often!

• I still have your signed declaration that all was good.
    your more dangerous than Facebook

i just noticed the page generation time! fastest ever!
  • only 5 queries!

wait, wtf are there 5 queries for that page? haha :D
  • from what i remember we only added the last two paragraphs so we could deny responsibility in the event that blues posted the good stuff
    What good stuff? The best I ever did was modify a copy of Office that would update to full that I shrunk down to 99 megs.

We tracked the d/l's from a webpage and it turned out I cost Microsoft $1.25 million. Hey..Bill Gates could afford it... :D
  • ihcra chic , sock, CPU, chicken, kleinholz, vortexual, mick, shepleffel, meska, NightCrawler

I miss those days... minus my cocaine consumption.
  • CHRISTo posts...shudder. :x :D
  • edited June 2018
    CHRISTo :!: Oh my, I remember those posts... I'll probably have nightmare now, featuring...
    ~shudder indeed :D
  • Blues snail-mailed me my first OSX, made me what I am today—whatever that is...
  • Blues snail-mailed me my first OSX, made me what I am today—whatever that is...

:o
  • I check in every now and again.
  • woah.

hi jesse! i saw you were in blighty again recently, too :)
  • Cant believe it was 16 years ago. really it was nearly 20 years total. I met Base and Bad back in the BBS days when i started design school and needed to get the apps. lol

Feels like yesterday and a lifetime ago, all at the same time. lol
  • yeah. i found them looking for the same and got feedback on my resumé. stayed for the shennanigans. :)
  • I think the fact BB wasn't just a mac tech community; It was for designers. That means a high level of crazy.

I was one of the first who registered for BB. Watching it grow. It's crazy how big it got. Looking back now, there was a few other boards trying to fill the void. Other sites with more links. But as a community did what napster couldnt do. We had a life after the links. A lot of it was based around the colourful community that formed the core. Now we turn on twitter and theres crazy all over the place. Back then, BB was one of the places you didnt know what you were going to get.

Axl and Slash made up and theres a GnR reunion. Who knows.. maybe we'll have a second life for BB. Ive talked to socko about ideas for growing the community years ago. its just crazy it doesnt even have a wiki page. it was the largest mac underground community on the web.
  • edited July 2018
    I can't quite remember when I joined base, I was probably one of the newer older ones...? Think I was onboard early 2000s or could it have been the end of the 90s? When was base started?

I know I was seeing a rather lovely illustrator around that time, had a PM8100, followed in quick succession by a second hand PM 8600 then G4 Cube!

Okay, that's sad, stop talking about your old computers David! Now I'm talking to myself! :)

...I came for banter and inspiration, not dodgy software... ;)

I got my fill of all that through the college I was teaching at part-time! :D
  • I started on a Quadra 800 running OS 7.1 68k. Couldn't afford a new fangled PPC Mac.. :(
  • i remember when the g5 leaks came out and everybody thought the 1ghz frontside bus made it a fake. lmao.

My indigo imac that i got 20 years ago still works. funny... my phone is now like 10x more powerful then it now. time flies.
  • hi jesse! i saw you were in blighty again recently, too :)
    I was, including a whirlwind long weekend with Lee AKA Sono.
  • Are you still doing your music @jesse?
  • I haven't recorded anything in a long while. I have been playing and writing, and building a studio in the backyard. So I dunno, maybe?
  • edited July 2018
    I haven't recorded anything in a long while. I have been playing and writing, and building a studio in the backyard. So I dunno, maybe?
    Life gets in the way sometimes, doesn't it. Home studio, excellent, hope that helps with the inspiration.

My iTunes shuffling throws a song from A Collective Sigh into the mix from time-to-time... :)
  • It has been a pleasure knowing and meeting such great people (i'm talking about you lot).

Some of my IRL friends don't even know half of what I used to get up to... but you lot know it all :)))