old facebookers

edited December 2017 in conversations
for some of y'all who are a bit older...

how do you feel about your old friends (like high school) who don't use facebook?

do you care?
are you suspicious of them?
are you jealous of their will?

do you somehow feel like they are out of touch in some kind of way?

;)

Comments

• aha!

i am an ex-facebooker, if that helps at all? are you suspicious of me? am i out of touch?

to be fair, i dropped it for about 3 or 4 months last year, and was pretty eager to get back on it in case i had missed anything. once back it was as if i'd never been away - every day the same old shit, and i was pretty glad that i'm a real internet citizen, and not reliant on the watered down shite that comes through FB. it's the internet for people who don't internet.
  • do people who don't know anything much about the internet think people like us (we know a few things) are out of touch?
  • edited December 2017
    I dropped Facebook years ago when the thrice married ex girl friend with 4 children who now weighs over 200 lbs tried to hook up with me. :x
  • did you still hook up with her, though?
  • do people who don't know anything much about the internet think people like us (we know a few things) are out of touch?
    maybe, but am i bovvered?

• i'm not really bothered.

it's just weird. like a new Lambo owner telling a licensed Lambo mechanic how to fix the car.

so many people think of FB as the internet now...that is so fucked up.
  • i only post on there to make fun of people, wish people a happy birthday and bitch about the Packers. :D
  • edited December 2017
    did you still hook up with her, though?
    I sent her nimmots email, cause she's desperate..no?

And the Packers suck. :)

• edited December 2017
    I'm still cheap as fuck.. so given the chance i won't pay my phone bill ;) so if your not on facebook and you don't hear from me.. its your fault ;)
  • did you still hook up with her, though?
    I sent her nimmots email, cause she's desperate..no?

And the Packers suck. :)

I don't take dips in anything blues has been in. :D
    and yes, the packers suck this year. time to clean house. capers' head on a pike is a must in my front yard. i will settle for nothing less.
  • I tell them. Their not missing much. lol

If you do well, everybody hates you.

Id you do worse. People look down on you.

After years in UX, social media has been a toxic experiement on society.
  • Facebook was okay for about three years, at most, around 2007!

There are certain orgs I'm interested in, and friends, advertise their event through it, almost exclusively, so I stay... for now...
  • I dropped Facebook years ago when the thrice married ex girl friend with 4 children who now weighs over 200 lbs tried to hook up with me. :x
    OOOoooo...all that flesh...any chance of an intro? x
  • Seems like quite a few people are dropping off, to start the new year...
  • good! probably.

i don't think social media is a very good thing. it may be just because i've come to that conclusion, but i think i'm noticing others leaving it for some older-school type stuff (forums, and the like). not on a huge scale by any means, but ya know...
  • I think I'd agree, largely ...may be even completely :)

A couple of years ago I met one guy, at a social media networking event (friends were working in the field at the time), and he'd become unhealthy 'addicted' to Twitter. To the extent that he ended up on medication (depression and anxiety)! I guess like other things, our personality type has an impact but that's where social media in its current form can be quite pernicious, I think.

Bosco's just deactivated his FB account.

I've got about 200 FB 'friends' but I've muted all but about 20, from my feed, and only that 20 or so see what I post unfiltered (inc the peeps here :!: ).
  • yeah, let's start a forum.

oh, ummm...
  • Fb has become full of fuckwits and old people.I'm sick of being told my double bacon cheeseburger is sending me to hell, or being told passive aggressively not to park my car in a public car park because it inconvenienced someone be 10meters..
  • Hah! Yes I have deactivated. It was turning into the Sun/Daily Mail newspaper for me and, well I got fed up of it all.
    The only thing i miss on FB is Bill Brewster's (DJ History) posts.
  • edited January 2018
    hola, skribemon!

hola meskmon!
  • skribedawg whoop whoop
  • https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amp/facebook-living-breathing-crime-scene-says-one-former-manager-n837991
    McNamee said the formula simply isn't good for democracy.

"All the content is stuff that you like, right? It's what they think you like. But what it really is, is stuff that serves their business model and their profits," he said. "And making you angry, making you afraid, is really good for Facebook's business. It is not good for America. It's not good for the users of Facebook."

(social decay, by Andrei Lacatusu)
  • death to twitter aswell
  • death to twitter aswell
    Fucking hate that shite
  • following discussions on twitter is like reading the last 3 words of a book.
  • you could almost play cards against humanity with tweets
  • following discussions on twitter is like reading the last 3 words of a book.
    There's a perfect tweet right there... :D

(social decay, by Andrei Lacatusu)
    Genius!
  • edited January 2018
    Hah! Yes I have deactivated. It was turning into the Sun/Daily Mail newspaper for me and, well I got fed up of it all.
    The only thing i miss on FB is Bill Brewster's (DJ History) posts.
    I meant to ask: a permanent deactivation or just a holiday from it?!
  • edited January 2018
    Never get high on your own supply’ – why social media bosses don’t use social media

Developers of platforms such as Facebook have admitted that they were designed to be addictive. Should we be following the executives’ example and going cold turkey – and is it even possible for mere mortals?
  • let it sink.
  • ...I've decided to deactivate. How long it will last is another thing!

Yes, maybe something could kill it off, then we'd all be free... until the next...
  • Wow (not surprised really)
  • yowsers.

i'm half tempted to actually reactivate my account in order to request a deletion (do they even delete shit? sure, it's all already been sold 100-times over, but for, like, next time, innit!)
  • i have zero friends. the four posts i have on their are nothing. i delete my conversations (but i realize they track me based on that stuff). what i found shocking...

a list of all the people i unfollowed. and another list of all the people i declined to follow.

and records of EVERY login i've ever done on the site.

there is also a list of all the advertisers who have my 'personal' info.

i think my footprint is pretty small...
  • Yes, I think one of the things that will shock most people, and I'll be honest it surprised me, is the data the mobile app is collecting!

My deactivation isn't so much to do with the recent stuff, I've been wavering for a while, but it did help to have it in the news this week...

I heard an interesting comment this morning from a UK politician - ha - not sure what I think of it yet but he was proposing that, perhaps, these companies making money of our data should be sharing the profits of that work with us....?!

...if I shut up shop permanently, I'll probably log back in to download my data and request deletion.

Off at a tangent, slightly: with all the relative that died a few years ago, it did make me think about my online footprint after I die. I pity the sod who has to deal with that... but then, unless it happens some time soon, the world will have changed yet again and it may not be relevant!
  • digital time capsules...i believe they already exist.
  • It was deactivation. My reason is always on a 'sabbatical'. I have grabbed the data before, but stopped short of deleting. I'm an admin on a couple of business pages, but I have somehow managed to avoid going near that, so there really is no reason other than keeping connected with my old family friends and acquaintances. I'm staying deactivated for a while - i really have gone off social media.
  • edited April 2018
    Pub chain shuts its social media accounts...

"Pub chain JD Wetherspoon has used Twitter to tell its 44,000 followers that it is quitting social media.
    The firm's head office and 900 pubs will quit the micro-blogging site, alongside Instagram and Facebook with immediate effect, it said.

The pub chain linked the move to bad publicity surrounding social media including the "trolling" of MPs."

More...
  • i like that they said "we don't think it'll affect business". because, like, it probably won't.
  • edited June 2018
    "Papua New Guinea bans Facebook for a month"
    The Papua New Guinean government will ban Facebook for a month in a bid to crack down on “fake users” and study the effects the website is having on the population.

"Teens are abandoning Facebook in dramatic numbers, study finds"
    Just 51% of US individuals aged 13 to 17 say they use Facebook – a dramatic plunge from the 71% who said they used the social network in Pew’s previous study in 2015, when it was the dominant online platform.
    Of course, that last one is undoubtably more about increased competition for users, than turning off to social media/facebook in any healthy way?
  • edited June 2018
    I’ve not clicked the article you linked, but the one I saw showed an increase for that demo on YouTube and Instagram (which is FB owned anyway).
  • So yes, I’m agreeing with your last point :)