Firefox Quantum

edited November 2017 in conversations

Comments

• userChrome.css!!!
  • yup, saw this, read about it, got excited*, didn't do shit about it.

*as much as you can for a web browser
  • but you will be pleased to learn that i have now downloaded it, and will no doubt give it a shot soon!
  • Oh...

...downloaded, will give it a go.

Cheers @micky
  • i like it but i can't get my css changes to stick. the top tabs have no space above them and it drives me completely bonkers. i've found a small number of people out there complaining about the same thing...

it's barely faster on some sites and about the same as Chrome on others. but i think the privacy things are a big step. next, we need to get more extensions for it...

if you don't know it...try out Stylish. so you can renovate any website that annoys you.
  • edited November 2017
    It's okay but, yes, having used it most of yesterday it soon felt like the others, with the exception that it deals with a couple of difficult sites Safari seems to struggle with consistently, without any issues. But then the previous Firefox did too, to be fair (Come-on Apple!).

Not really looked into the privacy side of things.
  • still haven't tried it, lol!
  • It's okay but, yes, having used it most of yesterday it soon felt like the others, with the exception that it deals with a couple of difficult sites Safari seems to struggle with consistently, without any issues. But then the previous Firefox did too, to be fair (Come-on Apple!).

Not really looked into the privacy side of things.
    I've been using Cliqz a lot. It's built on Firefox and is good for privacy.

https://cliqz.com/en/
  • Cheers @blueshead, I'll check it out...
  • edited November 2017
    Unbeknown to most users, Mozilla added a privacy-enhancing feature to the Firefox browser over the summer that can help users block online advertisers from tracking them across the Internet. The feature is named First-Party Isolation (FPI) and was silently added to the Firefox browser in August, with the release of Firefox 55. FPI works by separating cookies on a per-domain basis.

This is important because most online advertisers drop a cookie on the user's computer for each site the user visits and the advertisers loads an ad. With FPI enabled, the ad tracker won't be able to see all the cookies it dropped on that user's PC, but only the cookie created for the domain the user is currently viewing. This will force the ad tracker to create a new user profile for each site the user visits and the advertiser won't be able to aggregate these cookies and the user's browsing history into one big fat profile. This feature was first implemented in the Tor Browser, a privacy-focused fork of the Firefox browser managed by the Tor Project, where it is known as Cross-Origin Identifier Unlinkability. FPI was added to Firefox as part of the Tor Uplift project, an initiative to bolster the Firefox codebase with some of the Tor Browser's unique privacy-focused features.

The feature is not enabled by default.

To enable FPI use this add on..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/first-party-isolation/

You can also test first-party isolation now by flipping the about:config pref "privacy.firstparty.isolate" to true.

Works in Firefox 57
  • can you not just use the config page to enable it fully? why the hell do you need a plugin for it?

(also, i'm sure i remember hearing about this back when 55 was released...)
  • edited November 2017
    With the plug in ,you can turn it on and off at will without having to go to the config page. Some of us are just lazy!
  • oh right - that's ok then! i thought it might have been the config page wasn't sticky after restarting the app or something.
  • Also if you want to get real geeky, https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js

An ongoing comprehensive user.js template for configuring and hardening Firefox privacy, security and anti-fingerprinting. It does take some time to go through the options and add overrides for features you need enabled/disabled but it works great (and it does turn on FPI).