the great big packaging design thread

167891012»

Comments

• NO WAY!!!! :D
  • edited November 2015
    http://www.leafsbysnoop.com/

Snoop Dogg and weed go together like an empty juice bottle and piece of garden hose, so it’s no shock that the rapper/marijuana activist has launched his own line of cannabis products. A little more unexpected, however, is the brand’s decidedly luxurious packaging and identity courtesy of design studio Pentagram, who have worked with clients such as London Design Festival, Philadelphia Museum of Art, and fashion label Mulberry.

The Leafs by Snoop range includes edibles (chocolate bars, chews, drops and gummies) as well as boxes of ‘flowers’, or weed. In developing the branding, Pentagram wanted to avoid any cheesy #420 cliches in order to develop a sophisticated and minimalist aesthetic that would appeal to a wide audience, not just stereotypical stoners. They also had to work within the legal confines of how marijuana, a controlled substance, can be presented—for example, the packaging must be opaque and child proof. “It’s like working at the end of Prohibition,” says Pentagram’s Emily Oberman in a blog post. “Everything is changing, all the time. Laws change from week to week, and affect what you can do. It’s incredibly exciting, but it’s also difficult, so we had to keep it simple.”

• what's the nutritional value on that? :D
  • Lots of fiber, low in sodium and gluten free. Most likely tastes like gluten free sugar free breakfast cereal.
  • BWAHAHAHA!!! :D
  • that is fucking AWESOME even tho i don't drink it, i appreciate the cross marketing and ingenuity!!! :)
  • I'm holding out for the 'bottle of sailor jerry's atop a 2litre Pepsi max' version :D
  • more absolut!

press release, barf:

Absolut Facet

Open Up To the Unexpected With the Absolut Facet Limited Edition Bottle

Absolut introduces its latest limited edition bottle, Absolut Facet, a blue bottle featuring an asymmetrical design. The round edges of the Facet bottle have been cut into like a gem, creating a number of faces that catch the light in unique ways, symbolizing the many directions #AbsolutNights can take you.
  • i quite like this!

http://co-partnership.com/project/mr-black

i nearly said brave, but the branding is there and visible at all times. would have been cool to have to 'discover' that, too.
  • ^Absolut & Mr Black...SO SEXY!

BUT...I think the Absolut limited edition needs engraved medallion/pet collar tag looking like it was riveted onto the bottle.

And then a button at the back where the bottle refills with vodka when nearing empty :D
    ps Blues you kinda popped into my mind and helped me with the last bit xxx
  • Oh, that's just wrong.
  • i'm a sucker for stuff like this...

israeli austerity baking brand packaging.

http://www.liadshadmi.com/Austerity-Baking-Brand

• I have to admit, I kind of like that too.
  • almost packaging, right?! :D

turn your iWatch into a classic iPod with this case designed by joyce kang

• Discount chain store Jack’s launched last year, a new venture from Tesco that is named after the supermarket giant’s founder, Jack Cohen.

The chain, which opened its first branches in Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire last September, now has eight stores across the UK, and prides itself on three things: its 100-year-old heritage born out of a market stall in East London, its British-grown products and its cheap prices.

Alongside the new logo, which features the word “Jack’s” written in a hand-painted style in white across a red rectangular background, the supermarket’s wider visual identity also appears pretty patriotic. A palette of red, white and blue dominates, while the Union Jack flag features across much of its communications and in-store signage, as do references to its stock’s British origins.

1HQ was one of many design studios hired to help bring Jack’s ranges to life through packaging and branding, also tasked with imbuing a sense of nostalgic Britishness into its ranges.

Unlike most UK supermarkets, everything in-store at Jack’s is own-brand, so the design project, completely by a roster of different design studios, involved every single product in-store.

1HQ was tasked with creating the packaging for over 500 products, including fresh food, snacks, baby and pet ranges, and general household items, resulting in 89 different design styles.

The studio looked at a range of styles, from typographic to illustration and photography, and designed packaging layout. Jack’s red logo is used consistently across all these different ranges, placed at the top-centre of each item.

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/4-10-february-2019/simple-cheap-and-nostalgic-designing-for-budget-british-supermarket-jacks/
  • I think Marks and Spencer started selling wares from stalls. The circle of life...great innit!
  • edited February 2019
    Looking to take Lidl on at their own game?

Nice design-work(?), on those fruit and veg tins at least...
  • yeah, i like the tins. the other stuff not so much, really.

my local lidl (first of the large store designs built in the uk i think, on the site of a normal sized lidl) has proper smashed the local tesco. incidentally. jack's can get tae fook, though - ain't no more room for ANOTHER damn supermarket here.
  • agree with you on the cans chris. didn't much care for the other stuff.
  • Yeah, it’s a big range of different stuff though, tbf. It’s mostly pretty normal looking packaging with a red Tom’s logo whacked on it.
  • nice cans :!:
  • Didn't they just rebrand pepsi like a few years ago

• I guess they did, yeah. Shoulda gone with this one, I’d have bought at least a can of it.

• O Street turns to tartan in rebrand of craft beer Stewart Brewing

The Glasgow design studio has attempted to modernise the craft brewery while incorporating the brand’s Scottish heritage.

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/21-27-june-2021/stewart-brewing-rebrand/

• edited July 2021

I like it but it initially felt like it should hold an energy drink… oh, I guess it does, in a way!

Still, I shouldn't be bias/so narrow minded(!), there's still plenty of beer brand design that's firmly sat in the last century!? 😁