the great big sculptures thread

Comments

• woah.

DANIEL ARSHAM
    the fall, the ball, and the wall

From two-dimensional work to sculpture, installation, public art, and performance, this New York-based artist produces occasions to (re)consider architecture, the natural world, and the manner in which they interact. the fall, the ball, and the wall, Arsham’s first solo show with OHWOW, illustrates the artist’s continued interest in manipulating architecture and in challenging expectations of accepted realities.

Arsham presents three bodies of work, revealing his diverse artistic practice and the progressive manner in which he approaches his subject matter, chosen media, and the surrounding environment. His structural interventions that cause walls to appear in a state of flux, as if they are melting or dripping, reverse the notion of architectural rigidity and of a partition’s standard presentation. With a new series of work on canvas, he depicts realistic building constructions, which include elements that spell out words, such as “oops.” A large-scale, hanging mass of tinted spheres, from the set of Merce Cunningham’s final performances, is a three-dimensional sculpture based from the pixels of a hyper-magnified photograph
    of a cloud formation.

His aestheticized sculpture and installations realize hypothetical architectural elements and counterintuitive designs, queuing possibilities and coercing material to behave atypically. Whether through his solo creations or collaborations with architects, choreographers and dancers, Arsham presents work that possesses visual drama and minimalist aspects; measures of solid intention and moments unrehearsed; signals of human progress or an entropic future.

braaaains!
  • these are pretty great, aye! :)

• Yes, very cool
  • that bible one is the shitz!!!
  • edited July 2012
  • the books are a marvel. wow
  • noice!

looks a little like honeycomb! (yes, with good reason, of course...)
  • edited August 2012

from neil dawson @ gibbs farm, nz
  • edited November 2012
  • nahhh.... they're concealing a truckload of plaster somewhere. :D

(cool!)

i'm going to start collecting shovels. it shouldn't take more than 10 years or so.

yep, it's my old fave recycle art
  • I like those mick ...you're not going to kick them along the floor like the real thing, are you!
  • *haz steel-toed boots* :D
  • woah! shovels, you say... crazy.
  • edited February 2013

The Woods
    is the second collaboration between the Norwegian design studios StokkeAustad and Andreas Engesvik, Oslo. The inspiration was found in the forests and the lights of the North. A tree changing colours and transparency through the seasons is a fascinating process which was captured in this glass object.

Our ambition was to work sculpturally – without any specific function other than the purely decorative. A renewed interest in the field of craftsmanship, tradition and new categories - has brought us into an area and expressions that we wanted to explore further. Thus, reducing the gap between industrial design and what we know as arts and crafts.

The unique, free standing glass sculpture The Woods, is a made out of hand blown glass. Each sculpture consists of seven trees – joined in two separate sections.

The Woods are presented for the first time at Designgalleriet during the Stockholm Design Week in February 2013.
    Year: 2013
    Design: StokkeAustad and Andreas Engesvik, Oslo
  • Using carefully broken shards of colored glass, Polish artist Marta Klonowska assembles translucent animals in life-like proportion and size. Almost all of her sculptures are based on animals found in baroque and romantic paintings.

Shattered Glass Animals by Marta Klonowska
  • Not one but TWO!!!!
    Love the chain replicating the spinal bumps and stuff. BRILL <3
  • Do you know where the crocks are from @chris?
  • i don't, sorry. but, as a fully-fledged badge-carrying internet detective, i can probably find out pretty quickly ;)
  • edited March 2013
    Australian artist James Corbett, 46, creates these sculptures using old car parts salvaged from scrap yards…

http://www.jamescorbettart.com/default.html
  • i don't, sorry. but, as a fully-fledged badge-carrying internet detective, i can probably find out pretty quickly ;)
    Cool :D

yes, I was being lazy!

• Like your moustache BTW!
  • ^liking these. especially the pillow.
  • hehe yeah, i could happily rest my head on that and fall asleep!
  • edited March 2013
    ^very nice.
    Funny thing is I actually thought the plant (Dandelion) and the ice skate were one badly cropped image and I just spent the last five mins scratching my head for the correlation DOH :D
  • ^48km? WTF!!!
  • edited March 2013
    stormtrooper helmet carved maori style.

• ^wooden welders helmet? Is nice me like thou~! <3
    Peel
    Perceiving the gallery space as an artwork; to convert the ideology of the space perceived as a “white cube”, one must interfere with its structure. This space, together with the artwork exhibited within, has its own isolated values. Converting it into an artwork is more meaningful than creating a structure with a distinct status. This attitude which can be comprehended as a conflict with the gallery space, destroys the compulsory perception of a perfect space for the display of the artwork; on the one hand it interferes with the space and on the other it transforms it. It shifts from a perception of flawless emptiness to a space with surprises. By defining itself as an artwork, it becomes a structure rather than a sacred entity. During this process the possibilities within the space determine its course.
    PI Artworks
  • ^Tres Kewlio!
  • awesome sand sculpture of elephants

The Wildlife Trust of South and West Wales have supplied us with a photo of their latest creation, a giant willow badger (a symbol of the Wildlife Trust movement). More info here: http://bit.ly/vwbadger
  • edited July 2013
  • YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY
  • haha, indeedy!

instructions unclear, and i can't reassemble my car :(