What is the minimum spec mac that could still be considered Pro setup?

edited September 2011 in advice
Our graphic design dept. are pushing to go mac, really all they do is indesign and photoshop.

I'm keen to encourage them, but their specs they outlined will never wash with management (they went straight for the top of the line of everything)

Incidentally could you feasibly work a graphics shop on iMacs? (based on their maximum output being a3 documents/brochures)

Thanks

Comments

• or put another way, can we get a spec of machine suitable for £6k incl cost of CS5?
  • edited 2:05PM
    I think meska does all his stuff on an iMac
    Yes, I know of a fair few people doing design work on the top spec iMac and photographers doing so too (even with the glossy screen) with their Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture...
    A max specced out iMac exceeds the performance of the currently shipping Mac Pro. The stock high-end iMac is about the same.
    i use the late '06 24" c2d, and i'm sure i could do the same on a mac mini. this includes a little bit of video work, too (ok, i can't sasy it's particularly quick with the video work, but you get what i'm saying, eh).
    (BIFF!)
  • that's helpful. knowing the way they work they would naturally plump for a 12k spec of machine when asked what their minimum specs would be.

we've written a proposal to management that each seat would be £4,500 in vat. incl. key software.

a question. we have spare CS3 licenses (for PC) can we purchase CS5 licenses as an upgrade and install on Mac? So far as I can gather the upgrade is the same installer set and its just a legalese license upgrade cost.... any ideas?
    Each country is different with upgrade licenses, got no help there.

The new mini trounces your original iMac, Sock.

Did you guys really think I could let this conversation go by uncommented?

(SOCK!)
    urbansurgeon said...that's helpful. knowing the way they work they would naturally plump for a 12k spec of machine when asked what their minimum specs would be.

we've written a proposal to management that each seat would be £4,500 in vat. incl. key software.

a question. we have spare CS3 licenses (for PC) can we purchase CS5 licenses as an upgrade and install on Mac? So far as I can gather the upgrade is the same installer set and its just a legalese license upgrade cost.... any ideas?
    Not sure on that license thing but, know you can with Lightroom as that's dual but PS... one of the mainstream suppliers would be able to answer that for you at no risk (e.g. Jigsaw).
  • imacs totally. if you aren't doing a bunch of video work, they are great - just bump the memory.
    the new minis, yeah - i was on about the old ones though ;)

i used an old macromedia director mx PC licence to upgrade to mac cs3 (i'm still using cs3, by the way - goes to show that their minimum specs are a little high ;)).