Thunderbolt iMacs from Apple sees restriction in hard drive upgrades

edited May 2011 in advice
i just sent the i3 iMac back to Apple. returning it due to a hardware fault, and my plan is to use the refund to buy one of the iMacs that were just released.

seemed like a good idea to me. return an i3, buy an i5 for the same amount of money.

i will probably still buy the i5..... can't afford a higher end Apple computer; won't have a PC, and no i don't want a Hackintosh, zippie. :D

but

this perturbs me.
Apple has laid the smackdown on those who want to perform third party hard drive upgrades in their Thunderbolt iMac line, virtually making it impossible to replace the main 3.5″ hard drive on the iMac unless you decide to go through Apple ..........................

Apple has settled on a proprietary cable and a proprietary temperature and fan control system, so if replaced manually on your own, that would result in a hardware test failure.

The two main “culprits” here? A proprietary 7-pin connector which will replace the industry-standard 4-pin connector, as the extra pins are there to connect a proprietary sensor, which incidentally is the second component in Apple-branded hard drives to the logic board.

via MacObserver

Comments

• edited 4:40PM
    well, yes. however... just use an external drive? i'm pretty sure that very few people actually replace the original drive in the imac (discounting drive failure, of course), due to the imac form factor making it a 'bit of a job' anyway.
    it's a medium-tough job, yes. actually seems like it will be easier than the Core 2 duo was.

:) that reminds me... i have to get some little suction cups (first step of disassembly requires them).

yeah... external would be the solution, and they're cheaper by the day.

but dammit... i LIKE taking computers apart and making them new again. i do not like fiddlefucking around with pins and sensors. sure there's going to be workarounds devised by people cleverer than i, but.... shit.

and grrrrrrr....

*nod*
    Yes as our friend from germany has kindly pointed out, it's not an issue ;)

BTW, what's the point taking puters apart if you are not willing to build one and fiddle with it :P
    Wayhey! Easy, eh?
    Pretty much don't matter what comp makers do.. there are enough enterprising individuals out there that like nothing better than to figure out these things. I for one are very happy they're out there.
    :) thank you chicken.

thank you, wise ones. (chicken not excluded)

heh... some people come here for the tech support; i come for the reality checks. *nod*

i like to build computers; i do not like dependencies. :D
    now i'll go back to being mad at Apple for the way they brand the apps from the MAS so deeply.

a friend downloaded a free app for me from the MAS; it's branded with his name and email address. nothing found in the "view package contents" that can be tossed removes the brand. ;) good thing it wasn't a paid app.
    That heat sensor may not be so easily replaced in the 2011 model. I think that link shows how it would work in a 2009 model, which is likely far different.