Noted: New Logo for Thrillist done In-house

edited April 2020 in conversations

“License to Thrill”

New Logo for Thrillist done In-house

(Est. 2004) "Thrillist is an online media website covering food, drink, travel and entertainment. The company was founded in 2004 and is based in New York. In October 2016, Thrillist merged with internet brands The Dodo, NowThis News, and Seeker to form the digital media holding company Group Nine Media." (Wikipedia)

Design by

Group Nine Media In-house: Creative Director, Cory O’Keefe; Designers, Kyle Earl and Mark Yocca

Related links

Thrillist post
2018 Brand New Spotted post

Relevant quote
Our new logo is an outline -- a window into the fantastic places and hidden spaces we take our readers. We’re here to explore, and we want you to come with us (even if you’re stuck in the house). Let’s get weird and go deeper. Step on into that T and find your next new favorite.

Images (opinion after)

Logo.

In black and small.

Without stroke -- UNOFFICIAL.
Brand video.

Opinion

I’ve been reading/subscribing to Thrillist since it started and it’s been great to see its identity and aesthetic mature over the years. (Here is a very small image of how the website used to look.) The last logo update was rather nice, typesetting the name in a very condensed sans serif but it was rolled out quietly and didn’t last long — less than two years. The new logo is probably the biggest reinvention yet, switching to a lowercase serif that is all kinds of tasty. It operates within the extra bold spiky trend but it also has a 1970s movie poster vibe that moves it past the trend. While I do like the thick stroke and how good it particularly looks black on white and small, I feel like it overshadows (pun semi-intended) the beautiful character shapes as seen in my unofficial dramatization of the logo without stroke. Nonetheless, I can get on board with the stroke. In application, Thrillist is introducing a squiggly, vintage MTV-esque aesthetic that is fairly entertaining. Intrigued to want to see more and, overall, a pretty good fit for Thrillist’s tone of voice and coverage.