colour and b&w printer recommendations

edited May 2007 in advice
hello there, i wonder if anyone has some recommendations for two printers for the house...

i have an epson 1270, and really rated it, but it currently has a blocked up black print head :( i've had a couple of (admittedly, lighthearted) goes at getting it unblocked, and failed, so it seems it may be time to pony up for a new printer.

ideally, me and the lady wife are looking for a quality colour inkjet for printing photographs (mainly). it would be great if this could handle a3+, but i understand that there is probably very little need for that size, at home. so, i'd likely settle for an a4/a4+ printer.

in addition to this, it may be a good idea to purchase a cheapo b&w laser printer for misc documents. second hand is a possibility, so if you can recommend a 'non-current' model, don't let that put you off telling me about it!

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• edited 12:45PM
    B&W Laser

HP1300n - is Bonjour enabled, needs and extra network plug, usb out of the box, cheap and cheerful

or

HP LaserJet P2015 Printer - you can get network ready and duplex

Also

Have a few colleagues with OKI lasers, which seem to be serving them well

A3 Inkjet

Epson Stylus Photo 1400
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer
    Black and White laser- anything with the laserjet 4 engine. Ideal is a surplus laserwriter 16/600 by apple. Tanks. Cheap toner.

Plus, universities sell them cheap at auction.
  • edited May 2007
    on the subject of the (excellent) LaserJet 4x series. The only way to print on one of those is by using AppleTalk, is that right?
    (it doesn't show up in the printer browser without AppleTalk enabled in the network prefs)
    Seems a bit strange to have to enable AppleTalk on every machine only to print to the 4&5000 printers we have.
    You can always use IP printing with the 16/600 but Appletalk is a better option, yes.

What's the problem with enabling appletalk?
    Get a cheap HP colour laser printer, you can pick one up for around £100-£150 and they come with an ethernet port so you can network them.
    zippie:Get a cheap HP colour laser printer, you can pick one up for around £100-£150 and they come with an ethernet port so you can network them.
    With you on that one - I'm not a great fan of HP but you can get a very usable, new, printer for not much £££. And the Bonjour set up works very well (yes, IP printer's proper I know but . . .)
  • edited July 2007
    *bounce*

in addition to jamm's thread, re: laser printers, anymore suggestions for the inkjet?
    *b-hump*
    i never did buy a replacement, btw. i still have the 1270, unused, borken. i guess i should donate it to a local landfill at some point.