Noted: New Packaging for Energizer by DDW

edited September 6 in conversations

“Time to Get Going and Going and Going”

New Packaging for Energizer by DDW

(Est. 1896) Energizer is the flagship brand of Energizer Holdings, Inc.. Headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, it is one of the world's largest manufacturers of primary batteries and portable lighting products and is anchored by its globally recognized brands Energizer®, EVEREADY®, Rayovac®, and VARTA®.

Design by

DDW (Sausalito, CA)

Related links

DDW project page

Relevant quote
The answer was clear. With their number one competitor being all black, copper and extremely serious, the Energizer brand needed to be bright and optimistic and maybe even a bit cheeky.

We all know and love Energizer Bunny. He’s one of the most recognizable brand icons in the world, but his role on packaging was as an extra – not the star. It was finally time The Energizer Bunny take center stage. And that’s exactly what he’s done.

DDWs solution is bold and lighthearted – with The Energizer Bunny featured larger than life. He’s finally taken his rightful place as the proud hero of the No. 1 battery brand.

The new battery and lighting packaging system is clean, radiant and well-organized as are the new battery designs. A nice contrast to the dark and serious look next door.

The Energizer Bunny does not live in every global market. In some parts of the world, his counterpart, Mr. Energizer, a tireless living battery, is the hero character. And in other global regions, neither iconic character is featured.

Images (opinion after)

Close-up on the before and after.

Hero shot with Energizer bunny.

Line-up.

International versions.

Opinion

This review is out of my comfort zone as I generally stay away from mass product packaging redesigns because they are rarely interesting or… well… good, but they exist in the world so let’s try to take a look at one on this fine Friday. The old packaging was either mistakenly or very much on purpose in the same color palette of black and gold as its main competitor, Duracell, which is my preferred brand to buy because their actual cylinders are so nice to look at. Gaudy textures and typography abounded so no loss in moving away from that look. The new look still has the gaudy textures and typography, in a different flavor (still unappealing), but it at least now has a clear point of differentiation from its competition by going with a light color scheme and blowing up the famous Energizer bunny now rendered in slicker, uncanny-valley-ish 3D. Overall, the new packaging is better by contrast but it’s still the same kind of overwrought, oversaturated, kind of empty mass market packaging that reminds me why I don’t like to cover it on Brand New.