adobe cs3 - which edition for you?

edited May 2007 in conversations
i'm thinking that, much as i'd like to think i'd ever have the time to learn video production AS WELL as everything else, and the standard web and design editions don't have the super duper spudshop version (which i want for editing skins for games), i'll prolly go for the design premium edition and buy a firefox upgrade and (possibly) contribute.

what about you?

Comments

• edited 9:29AM
    Fuck AE, i drool every night while i dream of the next FCP suite!
    i think i'll probably end up with design premium. or paying for design premium, but actually downloading the master collection via torrent or something. :)
    All of them belong to ME :D
    i still havent installed any, as im waiting for the new os to come out, i have the web premium, as i really dont use indesign...but the master is the business...kind of pissed its all gotten so crazy
    (think this was discussed in another thread)
    I mean i can understand a 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5-6 package, but i dont like this 1-2-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-6 shit, seems kind of fucked
    see this is why i dont mind paying for final cut(one complete thing-if you want lower end they offer express,and hell they give you imovie with computer), adobe is just so fucking jackass at times
    I blame Mr. Adobe and Milhouse Van Houten!!! Those bastards they killed kenny!
    Im drunk!
    Weird product set-ups like this make me want use Motion more than After effects. Only two people (my colleague and I) use after effects but not any of the other video stuff, we have Final Cut Studio for that. However we have twelve other designers (5 web, the rest, print) that Design Premium fits in just nicely. Which means $350 canadian each for two upgrades of AE (on top of 14 person site license for CS3 Design Premium) or $550 upgrade times two for the whole Final Cut 2 Suite Upgrade (which I find to be more app for your money). Luckily, I haven't do too much in AE that I'm completely tied to the app. Maybe it's time to hit Lynda.com and do some Motion tutorials.
    overbyte:...and buy a firefox upgrade and (possibly) contribute.
    i'm a moron - i meant fireworks of course
    had a feeling thats what you meant...i still say fuck it all~download it!
    wouldn't web premium + InDesign upgrade be cheaper in your case?
    Anyway, Adobe should introduce some kinda of "choose your components" system, where it gets cheaper as you add more apps. I really don't get why do they feel they need to decide what I need?
    orsonrockwell:had a feeling thats what you meant...i still say fuck it all~download it!
    yup, and if you need a webpage, just rip one that was designed well and change the content...
    CS isn't cheap, but it's peanuts compared to what you make of it in the 2 years that it's current.
    Web Premium for me at work... Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop and Fireworks are my friends.
  • edited May 2007
    McKs:wouldn't web premium + InDesign upgrade be cheaper in your case?
    Anyway, Adobe should introduce some kinda of "choose your components" system, where it gets cheaper as you add more apps. I really don't get why do they feel they need to decide what I need?
    orsonrockwell:had a feeling thats what you meant...i still say fuck it all~download it!
    yup, and if you need a webpage, just rip one that was designed well and change the content...
    CS isn't cheap, but it's peanuts compared to what you make of it in the 2 years that it's current.
    I dont make jackshit money off any fucking adobe product, so i have no qualms about downloading the apps for free...
    comparing that to plagiarizing someones intellectual property is ...
    hell Base used to be a warez board!
  • edited May 2007
    LIKE 150 quid cheaper

holy shit, i never even thought about it
    orsonrockwell:
    I dont make jackshit money off any fucking adobe product, so i have no qualms about downloading the apps for free...
    comparing that to plagiarizing someones intellectual property is ...
    hell Base used to be a warez board!
    I was obviously refering to people that actually do use the product to make a living.
    PhotoShop is Adobe's intellectual property too, what's the big difference? Should I be allowed to steal the paper and pencils I do my designing with too?

You learn and use the tools of your trade, legit or otherwise, but once you make (enough) money of someone's product, why shouldn't they get paid for it?
  • edited May 2007
    if you are paying taxes for earning money by using a certain product, you may as well pay for it, and claim it back against your tax bill anyway. saying that, there are more important things going down in my world than worrying about somebody pirating an expensive and bloated application from a mega corp run by "the man" :D

for your information, the applications will be paid for by the company. i may just install it at home too ;)
    McKs:Should I be allowed to steal the paper and pencils I do my designing with too?
    I could care less how the hell you acquire your paper and pencils, and i sure as fuck would not get holier than thou with you on a bulletin board if you did steal them
    you have 2 installs per license so may as well
    pencil and paper is a bit different - if you steal them, you are physically stopping someone else from using them. but hey, we've done this before, right? :D
    also, i have no idea where any of the pens i have on this desk came from ;) *whistles innocently*
    so YOU'VE been knicking all my bloody pens...

...from my house
  • edited May 2007
    chris:pencil and paper is a bit different - if you steal them, you are physically stopping someone else from using them. but hey, we've done this before, right? :D
    yeah, you should only steal directly from the manufacturer, that way no one gets hurt...;)

since orson is now bringing this up in another thread again, and I don't feel like polluting that one with this nonsense too, all just say here that it's not that I give a shit whether or not you pirate software. I just find it fascinating that stealing software is somehow so much more acceptable than stealing any other product.
    Of course it has nothing to do with 'sticking it to tha man', most people I know fire up the latest SB to register a shareware product of some guy just trying to make a buck as quickly as they hit msj to get the volume number for CS3.
    Almost everybody pirates software in one way or another, myself included, because it is just so incredibly easy to obtain the stuff.
    I maintain, that, if you are producing stuff, of which you want the intellectual property protected as well, you should at least pay for the tools you use to create it.
    Just my opinion, is all.
    the way i look at it is, it's not taking a sale away from them (in my case), as i wouldn't have paid for it for personal use anyway. and there isn't one less box of cs3 on the shelf for others to purchase because of that, either :)

/me sticks it to the man!
  • edited May 2007
    Frankly, photoshop 2.0 did everything I'm ever going to need in an image processing application. That's why I use Easycrop.

http://www.yellowmug.com/easycrop/
    McKs:since orson is now bringing this up in another thread again, and I don't feel like polluting that one with this nonsense too
    Man i was just fucking around in the games thread, but it was about cheap games, and it doesn't get any cheaper than free...i dont really disrespect your opinion, i just have a different one. I dont put software/mp3 stealing above or below any form of thievery, but it is a hell of lot easier. I paid for FCP, and i make money off of it(thats not why i paid for it), but i also downloaded a shitload of plugins for final cut that i did not pay for, and honestly...I just dont feel bad about it, i just dont think about it~it comes naturally to me...really no other way for me to explain it...indifference?