Noted: New Logo and Identity for Financial Alliance for Women by Design Bridge

edited June 2019 in conversations

“Transformation Nation”

New Logo and Identity for Financial Alliance for Women by Design Bridge

(Est. 2000) "The Financial Alliance for Women - formerly the Global Banking Alliance for Women - is the only global consortium of financial institutions dedicated to supporting its members to capture the opportunity of the Women's Market. Our members work in more than 135 countries to build innovative, comprehensive programs that deliver women the tools that they need to succeed, including access to capital, information, education and markets. Membership in the Alliance provides financial institutions access to a unique global community of peers that have proven the business case for serving women. As a close network of practitioners, the Financial Alliance for Women provides a wide range of services to help organizations design, implement and refine effective Women's Market programs. The Alliance also seeks to use its collective voice to advocate for greater awareness of women's vital economic role as consumers, investors and job-creating entrepreneurs."

Design by

Design Bridge (New York, NY office)

Related links

N/A

Relevant quote
The old logo was mostly bad, with some unappealing, tightly-spaced typography and an icon/acronym combo that looked like something from a bad PowerPoint slide. The new logo typesets the new name in Dalton Maag’s Calmetta in an unexpected rag, with half the name flush left and half flush right. I assume it’s meant to convey a sense of controlled disruption but if not, that’s what I’m getting: a kind of polite, “Screw the system, please and thank you”. I’m not sure I like the logo but I think it works and I like (both in the logo and identity) that there are no cliché or stereotype graphical references or devices to signal “WOMEN!”. It’s all simple, confident, and in a neutral palette of greens with layouts that look like they belong in the financial sector, regardless of what gender the organization is representing. The “transformation” graphic… I don’t know… it’s funky, kind of cool to look at, and works well as a recurring element but mostly I keep trying to interpret it or wondering what exactly it means or represents. Overall, though, this all works well together.

Images (opinion after)

Logo.

"Transformation" graphic.

Logo with wave transformation graphic.

Typography.

Various applications.

Brochure.

Instagram account.
Identity introduction video (no sound).

Opinion

The old logo was pretty bad, with some unappealing, tightly-spaced typography and icon/acronym combo that looked like something from a bad PowerPoint slide. The new logo typesets the new name in Dalton Maag’s Calmetta in an unexpected rag, with half the name flush left and half flush right. I assume it’s meant to convey a sense of controlled disruption but if not, that’s what I’m getting: a kind of polite, “Screw the system”. I’m not sure I like the logo but I think it works and I like (both in the logo and identity) that there are no cliché or stereotype graphical references or devices to signal “WOMEN!”. It’s all simple, confident, and in a neutral palette of greens with layouts that look like they belong in the financial sector, regardless of what gender the organization is representing. The “transformation” graphic… I don’t know… it’s funky, kind of cool to look at, and works well as a recurring element but mostly I keep trying to interpret it or wondering what exactly it means or represents. Overall, though, this all works fine together.