coda - one window web development

edited April 2007 in conversations
Text editor + Transmit + CSS editor + Terminal + Books + More = Whoah. (lol)
“So, we code web sites by hand. And one day, it hit us: our web workflow was wonky. We’d have our text editor open, with Transmit open to save files to the server. We’d be previewing in Safari, running queries in Terminal, using a CSS editor, and reading references on the web. “This could be easier,” we realized. “And much cooler.”
coda, from panic

Comments

• edited 4:24PM
    I think I might get this - skedit aint been updated for aeons, and this looks like the don.
    Going to check it out. Still like my BBEdit though.
  • ihcihc
    edited 4:24PM
    BBedit can run terminal queries and directly access files via FTP so thats 4 of the functions sorted out - then its a management issue if you like CSS editors (i don't)
    Installed, but not tested yet. Going to try it out. If it matches BBedit I think I'll start using this.
    that looks AWESOME! great linky sock. i'll download it and let you know what i think once i've had a chance to kick it around.
  • ihcihc
    despite what i said this does definitely look like something id like to take a look at

what would be teh awsome would be if it ran a web server inside the app so that you could live test code without having to update and refresh etc
    lol ihc!
  • edited April 2007
    i miss the entities-palette from BBEdit... i can't remember all those tags for special characters, so maybe if they add those they have a winner...

you know, those things: "& quot ;" (without the spaces)... what are they called?
  • ihcihc
    html entities - you had it
    I've been using it a bit today and am not sure what I think. After the initial wow and subsequent attempt to stick coda in my bum, I reckon it might be a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none, which is fine but a couple of functions I cant seem to make it do, are turning me off.

Main realisation is I don't think I give a crap about it being in one window - I have two largish screens anyway - and secondly it can't run the preview automatically through my localhost (which I have mainly set up with virtual hosts), so I went and retrieved the url from safari. Then the subethaedit engine just aint as good as skedit's - which has these 'snippet' things I can't seem to quite replicate with coda's 'clips'. And also the auto complete/hinting isn't quite up there with skedit - I've been doing an email newsletter today (fun! not.) and all the css is whacked in the head section - so I'm not getting a hinting for it cos it's in an .html doc not a .css doc.

Though it has a decent dom inspector thing like firefox (which I only really use if I have to edit some other plebs code) - I tend just to glance at the safaritidy SIMBL plugin to see if I have borked something, then view source to see where. So maybe changing the way I work, I can't be arsed with cos it's such a habit.

Maybe I can do some of this stuff with more research or version 1.2. (come on panic - bloat that app!) 14 days left. Buy now!
    terminal is still teh butt secks
    It doesn't seem to text-color xhtml in an .asp page either. That's really annoying!
    It turns out that you can set custom syntax modes in the preferences, so the annoyance has been eradicated.
    ok ive paid for this after a few weeks trialing
    I just paid for it online

Coda 1.0.2

WHAT'S NEW

General
    * New! You can now "Publish" individual items, uploading them to the "right place" when working in a site
    * New! Preference: Play sound or notify via Growl on completed file transfer
    * Transcript &ÊClipsÊmenu items now have keyboard shortcuts
    * Command +/- will now work in all casesÊto adjust font size
    * When changing screen resolution, Clips window will remain on screen
    * After changing split direction in prefs, the next opened split will now respect the new split direction preference
    * Improvements which reduce the amount of connections Coda creates to the server
    * Publishing now properly handles symlinks
    * Fixed several crashes
    * Many other minor tweaks and changes

Editor
    * New! Added several new commands to the "Text" menu:
    o Added "Close Current Tag", to instantly add a relevant closing HTML tago Added "Balance" command, to easily select text within code blocks
    o Added "Convert to ASCII"
    o Added "Remove Line Breaks"
    * New! When selecting variables in PHP & Perl, the variable prefix will also be selected (EG: $, %)
    * New! Dropping an image from the file browser into a text editor now inserts an image tag
    * Added many more actions to the editor's action button
    * More improvements to word & paragraph selection via keyboard
    * Autocomplete now works if next to a > tag
    * Validation no longer indicates Unicode text as a non SGML character

Terminal
    * Can now drag and drop from the file browser to insert the file's path
    * Login info saved in the site is now automatically pre-filled when you create a new terminal split
    * Changing font now updates the tty screen size
    * Now truncate very long error messages
    * After exiting session, terminal could sometimes not close its connection to the server
    * Copying a soft-wrapped line includes a hard return
    * Backspace now sends control-h, instead of 0x7f
    * When dropping files from the Finder, paths are now properly escaped

Web Preview
    * New! Javascript console now shows source file for errors (and also shows tooltips for complete error string and file path)
    * The external browser menu now filters duplicate browsers
    * Saving remote file now maintains scroll position when reloading the preview

CSS
    * No longer uses background-position-x, background-position-y
    * Fonts in the font family list are no longer clipped with certain fonts
    * Now shows font color in style list when a style is selected
    * Now properly handles non-CSS 2 properties (EG: -moz-opacity)

Books
    * Command +/- will now more reliably change the font size

Image Viewer
    * When viewing PDFs default to white background
    * Scaling PDFs will no longer produce fuzzy results
    * Size to fit now works with pdfs

File Browser
    * When renaming a file with a "." prefix now works as expected

Sites
    * No longer crashes when creating a site thumbnail of a webpage with Quicktime content.

panic.com
    is there a way to get Coda to automatically generate:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Untitled Document
    body

when a new HTML document is created?
    ah. found it =)

"Clips"
    what would people recommend as a free (probably as a set and not one app) alternative to coda for windows

prior to coda on the laptop i was using cyberduck and smultron with a smattering of yoursql

what can i use - im in a real lull at work and i thought id fill it with a bit of cross platform testing and tweaking ;)
    Coda 1.0.3

panic.com/coda

WHAT'S NEW

General
    * New! Tabs can now be reordered using drag and drop
    * New! Includes ASP / VBScript syntax mode
    * New! Includes Cold Fusion (CFML) syntax mode
    * New! You can now drop a folder on the Dock icon to change the local file list to that folder
    * When double-clicking multiple selected files in the file browser, all files are now opened in tabs
    * The symbols/shared documents lists are no longer obscured when resizing the window smaller than the list is tall
    * Keyboard shortcut for Make Text Larger now works as expected
    * Fixed a problem that would prevent file narrowing from working properly if all the files aren't visible in the file list
    * Choosing "Mark for Publishing" will no longer clear the publish flag if the item is already publishable
    * Fixed an issue that would prevent Undo from enabling when working with multiple windows
    * Can now cancel remote copy/move operations
    * If saving a remote file fails, and the file has been closed, the file is re-opened allowing the user to save again
    * Fixed a crash when copying remote folders
    * Fixed a crash after using the contextual menu in the CSS editor
    * Connecting to a WebDAV server could fail if remote files were left open in a site
    * Fixed potential issues when connecting to a site with remote files left open
    * Renaming a remote file with a leading dot character will now hide the file (if Coda is set to hide hidden files)
    * Fixed inability to control-click files under the shadow cast by the Publish All header

Editor
    * Extended the Close Tag command to partially support other syntax modes.
    * Auto-complete will now suggest matches for more syntax modes.
    * More refinements to the word & paragraph selection via keyboard
    * When modifying selection via keyboard, now makes sure selection is visible when line wrapping is off
    * Encode Entities now works on ampersands
    * Improved file encoding detection
    * When opening a new file in a split, now scrolls to the previous location (in the new split)

to tags with additional attributes will now show in symbols pane
    * Fixed various syntax coloring issues

Terminal
    * When logging into localhost, now automatically switches to the site's local folder, if specified
    * Now properly escapes ~ (tilde) when cd'ing to remote path

Web Preview
    * Now restores the last selected browser in the external browser button
    * Source view now updates immediately when changing syntax colors in the preferences
    * When page source is visible, the "View Source" menu item no longer disables after switching to another mode and back

CSS
    * Can now drop files onto image fields to insert relative path (hold option to drag files from Coda's side bar)
    * CSS shorthand values are now properly broken out
    * Dropping images into a CSS file, when in edit mode, will now insert a CSS style url instead of an image tag

Clips
    * New! Dragging text onto clips window will now create new clip
    * New! Can now re-order clips via drag and drop

Sites
    * If a site contains music, it will no longer continue to comically play long after loading the paper preview
    * Loading site previews will no longer resize the Coda window if the site resizes the browser window
    * Site thumbnails can now be resized smaller

REQUIREMENTS
    Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

• edited June 2007
    Coda is sexy. SEXY!!!!! It's the best $69 I've ever spent on an app.
    chicken:Coda is sexy. SEXY!!!!! It's the only app. i've ever paid for
    corrected for you ^ :)
    would you recommend it over dreamweaver?
    it depends how you like to work. layout & coding or just coding.
    chris:
    chicken:Coda is sexy. SEXY!!!!! It's the only app. i've ever paid for
    corrected for you ^ :)
    lol. bastid. not true btw =P
    overbyte:would you recommend it over dreamweaver?
    Depends on your comfort level with coding. I sometimes switch back to DW for somethings, but Coda rocks for me.
    I found it helpful, but also some main missing features. Option to select a external Text Editor. as i purchaed TextMate (http://macromates.com/) and CSSEdit (http://macrabbit.com/cssedit/) also great software for web editing.
    Those apps are good as well, the idea of coda is doing what you do, but only needing one app open. If you like your current workflow there is no need to change. Personally, I like having just coda and Firefox open for a second preview.
    With the coda text editor can you install bundles or snippets of code? i didn't research this feature much
    Clips. A friendly floating window allows you to insert your frequently used text snippets just by clicking, dragging, or tab-triggering. Nice! Even include a special placeholder icon that will be replaced by your current selection.
    looks awesome

could encourage me not to keep sneaking to the design view mode in dw and putting stuff in that i can't remember how to do myself (i'm a periodic web dev - usually print - so i constantly have to relearn stuff)
    right then.

i'm just about to order a bunch of applications, and something like this is needed too. thing is, having had a play with it (admittedly, briefly), it doesn't sit nicely with me. maybe it's trying to do too much, or maybe it's because i'm used to using separate apps for separate tasks...

so i guess i'll be ordering textmate, transmit and cssedit instead. any reasons why i should rethink this?
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah even to a web dundus like me, i am liking coda (i even copy and pasted chicken's code and saved it as a clip:D). I hate all that app switching being a lazy print designer, so Coda appeals to me.
    btw, i did order textmate, transmit and css edit, and am happy with the decision :)
  • still think coda should have a mamp type environment built in - that would rule
    Okay, so I'm trying out Coda (on recommendation from a friend, though I've been meaning to try it for a while now). So far, so good.

Up until now, I've been using Transmit, with either BBEdit or TextWrangler. A couple of things I miss, and can't find:

1. The powerful find/replace. This includes searching a folder of files and replacing text en masse. Or, finding a bit of text in a file (though I see Coda might support that one).
    2. Being able to compare two text documents for differences. This is really, really handy for comparing code changes.
    3. 'Your Stuff' and 'Their Stuff'. As in, I made backups by making a new folder in 'Your Stuff' and dragging files from 'Their Stuff' into the folder. If applicable, I make a separate folder for the site's database. I save both folders into another folder with a date, so I can easily browse through backups. Since it's now a single pane, but tabbed, is this still possible? Can I drag entire files from the server to a local folder with ease? Or, is there a better way of making backups that I've missed?

As far as I can tell, that's all I really miss from the two apps I'd be replacing if I switched to Coda.

And seriously, I don't buy apps often enough, but I'm leaning heavily towards a Coda purchase - if that's any indication of quality. :wink:
    Urban, totally agree - something like xampp would be pretty sweet.

BTW - been playing with xampp the past few days...besides a fairly restrictive httpd.conf file (some sites don't display properly), I like it. Wish I could get it to launch the services upon boot, though I'm sure that's possible with launchd if I could be bothered to research it more.
    flak: don't play around! Get MSJ up and running!!!

:happy:
  • edited February 2008
    bbedit has one of the best and most featured find/replace/compare systems i've ever used, and i miss it on occasion.
    after a fruitful and happy honeymoon period with coda im starting to get frustrated with things.

its all habit on how i'm 'programmed' to work with multiple purposes. specifically i cant' get used to clicking a tab or learning a new keystroke to quickly go from edit to preview or from one file to another.

its a small thing but it really winds me up that i have alt-tabbed to get back tot he code that is in fact sitting behind the preview window within the same app.

i could learn to change but i must be getting old
    livepulse said...flak: don't play around! Get MSJ up and running!!!

:happy:
    Ha!! Working on it... ;)

So, maybe wait until Coda 2.0? Any recommendations on a WYSIWYG HTML editor? I'm looking to set fonts, colors, etc easily and just put them onto a page. Would be nice to have something that writes better HTML than Microsoft Word, and isn't nearly as complicated as Dreamweaver.
  • edited February 2008
    Freeway might suit you

its closer to desktop publishing for pge layouts and styling there's and Express or Pro edition
    Freeway Express | Apple Downloads

or RapidWeaver, which is template based development app
    RapidWeaver | Versiontracker
    there was a competitor app to rapidweaver produced by an old time baseboarder (n0rm/skater) but im ashamed to say i forgot his company name or the name of the app - can anyone help me and an old baser out?
    Thanks, urban - will take a look at those (and anything else that comes to mind, if you think of it). :)

I've got something called HTMLarea integrated into a site I'm working on, and it sucks. Am looking to switch to either a desktop app, or integrate another HTML editor...FCKeditor or TinyMCE...into the site.

HTMLarea doesn't work with Safari, and when using it with Firefox (which it recommends), it inserts random line breaks and doesn't apply fonts correctly. I'd rather not pick apart the site's code, if I can help it.
    urbansurgeon said...there was a competitor app to rapidweaver produced by an old time baseboarder (n0rm/skater) but im ashamed to say i forgot his company name or the name of the app - can anyone help me and an old baser out?
    site studio from dotsoftware. still available on macupdate, but n0rm stopped all development on it, and the dot software site no longer exists.
    I just use a terminal window. vim for editing - I'm yet to find a language it doesn't highlight (including some really really obscure / made up ones). And I use scp to transfer files, which is secure and really fast. Got a language reference for the stuff I don't know so well in PDFs. I dunno anything else just seems a bit bloated these days.

And with the web preview thing - I dunno about you guys but when I'm testing stuff I like to check it works in Windows XP IE6, IE7 and Mac FF / Safari. More windows sure but better testing, innit?
    Does Coda provide version control / svn?
    don't think so, cham, from what i could make out on the site. it does use the subetha engine, though.
  • edited June 2008
    chris said...btw, i did order textmate, transmit and css edit, and am happy with the decision :)
    Good choice Chris. I've moved over to TextMate, Interarchy, CCSEdit and I'm very happy too (with TM & CCSE). I've even been pushing it on some designers I've been doing web training for as well. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling/buying a legit copy of Dreaweaver!!

...I know this is an old thread but I was looking for something I'm sure is here somewhere...a reference to a Win PC equiv to RapidWeaver... anyone seen it? Or was that at Base'
  • edited June 2008
    Wow, is CSSEdit worth trying? I had it installed a while back, but I'd be willing to give it another shot. I'm not that great at CSS, my edits are mostly restricted to changing other people's code, saving, and refreshing the page to see if it worked.

Right now, I'm mostly using the Safari Web Inspector tool, TextWrangler, and Transmit.

Edit: And what's the big deal with the text editors? I don't mean to start a holy war, but why do people like TextMate? I've never tried it myself, but I'm mostly happy with TextWrangler...but I'd switch if there was a compelling reason. ;)
    flak said...Wow, is CSSEdit worth trying? I had it installed a while back, but I'd be willing to give it another shot. I'm not that great at CSS, my edits are mostly restricted to changing other people's code, saving, and refreshing the page to see if it worked.

Right now, I'm mostly using the Safari Web Inspector tool, TextWrangler, and Transmit.

Edit: And what's the big deal with the text editors? I don't mean to start a holy war, but why do people like TextMate? I've never tried it myself, but I'm mostly happy with TextWrangler...but I'd switch if there was a compelling reason. ;)
    http://macromates.com/screencast/insert_html_tags.mov