My first HDR

edited April 2007 in conversations
My first HDR attempt - what ya think?

htd and I tried to sneak off down the road with the equipment so the local thugs/neighbours didn't spot it but as luck would have it, they ended up walking right in front of this set-up. Great! Incoming robbery number 4? sigh...the house on the left with the glass embedded in the top of his walls has the right idea.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I'm in the alley 1/2 way down.. Need any software? :smile: or anything else?
  • ihcihc
    edited 5:28PM
    can you talk us through it - either a step by step tutorial or just a description would be great
  • edited April 2007
    I'm good, blues - keep a watch on our place though would ya?

ihc - It's surprisingly simple with Photomatix Pro, which was what I used. Take a series of exposures (this one included 5) bracketing around your cameras suggested exposure and bring them into Photomatix Pro - you have an option to auto-align which is likely needed if there is any camera movement, even slight as it will be slightly blurry without) - assign the exposure settings to each photo (the application doesn't guess correctly) which makes a 32 bit HDR which you then Tone Map to produce something that you can print or see on a computer screen. There is a lot of room to play in this step - with regards to the desired effect you want - including saturation, luminosity, etc. Further tweaks in photoshop might be necessary.

Photoshop can do it as well but it isn't as intuitive. Have to play around with this some more to really comment.

If you need clarification on any of this when you go to try it out let me know. I'm no expert, mind - with only 1 image in the bag. ;)
  • edited 5:28PM
    could you post the separate exposures, francly? just as thumbnails, of course - to see the variation that got included in the final image. if you know what i mean.
    Sure, I've included the bracketing values as well.

Exposure Bias Value= +0.3

Exposure Bias Value= 0

Exposure Bias Value= -0.3

Exposure Bias Value= -0.7

Exposure Bias Value= -1
  • ihcihc
    so it merges photos into something so it reveals what could have been in shadow - sorry im feeling really dumb

is it a new image format to keep all that info in one file?
    Yes, ihc - it's merging and making use of information the camera couldn't capture with one photograph.

wiki description > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
  • ihcihc
    is it mostly hi-tech jiggery pokery inside the software or are you basically driving the selection process over what gets included and shown etc?

i guess the bit that makes my brain hurt is the reason why it doesn't make everything fade to grey - your image is more vibrant than the inputs rather than a compressed midtone my poor understanding of the theory would have suggested