New Retina 5K iMac 2015

edited April 2016 in conversations
Right, my trusty i7 iMac from 2009 is moving to my daughter's capable hands, as i have been eyeing up the 5K Retina iMac (mid range model).

A couple of questions i need answered from anyone (Biff?):

1) Can i partition a Fusion drive to have more than 2 partitions? Throughout the years, I have always partitioned drives into three: the OS and apps, work files and a scratch disk (with nothing on it) dedicated to Photoshop and Illustrator. This has helped performance especially with large files in PS and illustrator not interfering with the concurrent usage of the OS. I've found out that the new Fusion drives can only be partitioned into two. Is this true? Can i bypass this limit? I recently installed a 3TB drive into my current iMac, and the Yosemite installer turned the drive into Logical Volume Group (if i'm right), which stopped me from partitioning more than 3 volumes. I bypassed this by using some low-level terminal commands to disable this and managed to revert back to original methodology and then repartitioned the volumes as required. It was a pain. What i want know is, can I do this to the Fusion Drive, or should i alter the BTO to be just a standard HD?

2) Fusion drive. Worth it? Heavy image processing as above. I generally really push my mac to the limit, will the Fusion drive stand up to it?

3) Anything I should know about this 5K Retina that might persuade me otherwise? I love my i7 late 2009 iMac - i feel it hasn't diminished in capability as much as my previous macs. Maxed out RAM and one new hard drive has kept it going for 7 years now. I think i have only wiped it twice and reinstalled, and that was for performance refreshing. It's a real workhorse, wondering whether the newer model is next level generation workhorse that i can use successfully for at least the next 5 years.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.

Comments

• get a mac!
  • edited April 2016
    2. ssd, and a separate drive.

3. not seen any benchmarks, but they are now i5 (yeah, quad core, sure, and newer).
  • Yep, there is an upgrade to the mid range to i7 for another £240
  • My current work in progress folder is just over 300gb...
  • edited April 2016
    get a few 3tb externals, sorted.

are you sure you want to give away your 2009 i7? :D is it completely full of ram? an SSD in there would make it feel all shiny new, mind...
  • Well it would be kept in the family or sold for a Macbook Pro. It's full of RAM and got a new 3tb drive inside. It feels good as new..
  • then i don't understand why you'd bother spending money that doesn't need to be spent :)
  • edited April 2016
    Daughter has old laptop... she needs new kit with big screen ;)

Son then inherits old laptop.. etc etc
  • Disk utility is a shallow husk of its former self. You can still get things done with the terminal, but its ugly as shit. You don't want to partition a fusion drive at all.

If you're still getting your PS on, go full-on SSD. The benefits of a fusion are lost on scratch drives. Other than the resolution on the 5K, the old Mac will probably indeed benefit greatly from a SSD. 1TB SSDs can be had for as low as $200 these days.
  • Thanks Biff. I've ordered a 2tb fusion i7 late 2015 (got a great deal on it)... I'll see how it goes. If i need the SSD, could you point me to some UK available sources? All the ones I know are still ridiculously expensive.
  • Incidentally, can the fusion drive have 2+ partitions on it? I understand it's painful, but having googled it, not had much luck other than creating 2 partitions only, binding and unbinding to the SSD and that's it. I may opt for a thunderbolt enabled flash as the scratch disk eventually. You're so right about Disk Utility...
  • edited April 2016
    The RAID functionality was sparse at best, but remove it entirely? Why have they dumb-downed Disk Utility? They could have just buried Advanced options for the techies.
  • Because we, meaning the long-time Mac users, aren't Apple's primary market anymore.
  • Okay i have the 4ghz i7. What a beast.
  • pics, ffs. what do you think this is?!

With my assistant.
  • Note my Arsenal calendar is facing down in disgust.
  • edited May 2016
    Hope you're paying minimum wage meska!

Nice cosy workstation
  • In Biscuits and grapes!