OMG Bull!

edited January 2016 in conversations
It just came in..I was off today.. You did this what..about 10 years ago? Thank you for saving it and sending it to me. Gonna use sinker cypress for the frame with a Tung oil finish.

Thick blocky frame so I can do some fun router trim work.. :) :)

Comments

• excellent, blues :) I think the date's on the back...gotta be close to ten if not more. I wan to see the frame, maybe I can learn something :D
    we don't get much cypress up here, heh, obviously
  • i hate email too.

;)
  • excellent, blues :) I think the date's on the back...gotta be close to ten if not more. I wan to see the frame, maybe I can learn something :D
    we don't get much cypress up here, heh, obviously
    Man.. I haven't made picture frame in 20 years. This should be fun and creative.
    You mounted it on a 1/8" backing with a 1/2" border.. I can work with this.. Wheeeeee! :)

• Yay!! :D

Post pics when done (or even during!)

Or even beforehand!
  • It just came in..I was off today.. You did this what..about 10 years ago? Thank you for saving it and sending it to me. Gonna use sinker cypress for the frame with a Tung oil finish.

Thick blocky frame so I can do some fun router trim work.. :) :)
    Am dead jel! Sounds so lovely. Real craftsmanship. Noice 1 Blues!
    Like C suggests some before and after pics would be a real treat.

• Man.. I haven't made picture frame in 20 years. This should be fun and creative.
    You mounted it on a 1/8" backing with a 1/2" border.. I can work with this.. Wheeeeee! :)

yeah museum board...should be ok, 1/2 in. is a mile on a frame....i'm glad you'll have fun with it, and yes, plenty of pics please :)
  • edited January 2016

Man.. I haven't made picture frame in 20 years. This should be fun and creative.

yeah museum board...should be ok, 1/2 in. is a mile on a frame....i'm glad you'll have fun with it, and yes, plenty of pics please :)
    I'm going to put a 3/16"Lauan backing behind the museum board for more structure .. Also since it's oil..No glass in the front?.. Oil should be exposed and aged... (I think?)
  • edited January 2016
    this thread is crap without pix and vids :P
  • no need for glass, if you don't want to blues, - it's the wax-heavy paint i was using back then, should be fine without it.

yes nim, it is; i'm counting on blues showing us his craftsmanship some more :)
  • me too!!! :)
  • no need for glass, if you don't want to blues, - it's the wax-heavy paint i was using back then, should be fine without it.

yes nim, it is; i'm counting on blues showing us his craftsmanship some more :)
    Silly question...are oil based paints sunlight resistant? Maybe consider a sealant if there is such a thing.
    One thing sticks in my mind is that the masters used to seal their work with eggs (???)
  • some pigments change with exposure to sunlight more than others, BW, and various vehicles can help or hinder the process. unless it's long-term direct sunlight i wouldn't get too concerned. what i have found with some of my work from that time is the texture is so heavy it catches a lot of dust - a little brush up now and then is all :)

egg tempera is extremely tough (i *believe*, and fact-check me, that some of the egyptian death portraits are egg tempera). damar varnish and it's equivalents are most common.
  • I have some mad textured oil paintings here, and I'd definitely say dust is the main issue heh

Sometimes adds to the work, sure ;)
  • edited January 2016
    Not worried about sunlight. I live in darkness.. So no glass. :)
  • some pigments change with exposure to sunlight more than others, BW, and various vehicles can help or hinder the process. unless it's long-term direct sunlight i wouldn't get too concerned. what i have found with some of my work from that time is the texture is so heavy it catches a lot of dust - a little brush up now and then is all :)

egg tempera is extremely tough (i *believe*, and fact-check me, that some of the egyptian death portraits are egg tempera). damar varnish and it's equivalents are most common.
    Thank you for brill info Bull x
  • :) a bit vague and hopefully not too obnoxious....while we wait for the IMAGES AHEM

;)
  • Images sound great! Oh wait..from me? heh..I just pulled 2 pieces of old red heart pine out of a window casing to use.(house built in 1870)

Don't you love anticipation?