HESSIAN: brand, new, and for sale

edited February 2013 in creations
i'm sure that a lot of you would have heard of the lovely ben pieratt, the founder of svpply, the book cover archive, and a number of other cool design projects.

his website states that he's a freelance identity & product designer, but that's not quite the whole truth - he's a design entrepreneur, at the very least. he creates ideas, and often pushes those ideas to fruition, with the help of a select few cronies. it harks back to the experimental, and fun ways of the design of yesteryear, before 'design' got lumbered in with 'front end', and you had to SEO your CMS, increase your CTRs, and A/S/Ls were frowned upon.

hessian is a brand for sale, from ben pieratt

anyway. ben's latest project is a fresh concept, of a pre-packaged brand. the first offerring, Hessian, has no product in mind, but is for sale for $18,000.

it's a conversation starter for a marketplace of ideas, which he calls mined.

This sale includes :
  • Name
  • URL
  • Twitter account
  • Tumblr account
  • 20+ logo & other designs
  • 10+ t-shirt designs
  • 8 repeating patterns
  • 1 website theme
  • 1 app user interface theme
  • 5 app icons
  • Brand book w/ guiding principles
  • 30 hours custom design time (for transitioning the brand to buyer's needs)
hessian is a brand for sale, from ben pieratt

the story has been picked up by quite a few notable sites recently (hessian only went 'live' on friday last), such as Wired, Good and kottke, to name a few.
“I had no choice but to work on Hessian,” says Pieratt. “As a designer, I’ve only just started to understand how important it is to follow and act on the ideas and work that inspire you. Hessian was something I felt a strong need to work on, and as I gave into it, my understanding of the opportunity and the market-at-large grew along with it.”
it's my understanding that ben already has other brands in the process of getting built, and that these will be far more specific - something which is clearly missing with hessian. something to really target a particular group or business, and i think it's from these where we'll really see how, or even if, pieratt's latest venture will work.

god speed, ben! :)

Comments

• holy moly

talk about full-featured. that's a fantastic idea, and i hope the right people take him up on the work.

also, i find the idea of a "branding" blank amusing.
  • Awesome. Nice one Ben.
  • Wow, interesting idea, I'll be interested to see how this develops - makes me think of the new markets lots of creative are having to consider...
  • the huge plus, as far as i see it, is no "make the logo bigger" involved at all hehe

but yeah, i am really intrigued as to how this will play out :)