{official} DRM-Free music on iTunes

edited April 2007 in conversations
DRM-Free tunes coming today from one of the labels, EMI.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html

whoa! :surprised:

Comments

• edited 5:44PM
    Whoa indeed. I wish all of iTunes would go DRM free.
    Greatness!
    Smart move on both their parts. DRM has never been a big issue to me, but that's because I usually buy the apple version of whatever product i buy, guaranteeing compatibility. it is pretty smart thought. iPod users *can* continue to buy the drm music for a lower price and at the same time owners of non apple player that can play ACC files (there are actually quite a few of them, and phones too) pay a premium for joining the itunes store party without an iPod golden ticket.
  • edited April 2007
    best thing is you get albums at higher quality, drm free, @ the same price as before.
    I never bought much from the store, mostly because my car only plays mp3s. When it becomes less of a hassle to convert to mp3, I might indeed be inclined to use the store more.
    good move buy EMI/Apple.
    McKs:best thing is you get albums at higher quality, drm free, @ the same price as before.
    No, they are not. They are $0.30 more. It's not THAT big of a difference, but it's still there... and I wonder for people who are not going to play it through high-end equipment, nor have 7 different computers to have to activate on or even a need to burn the same CD more than seven times will care. My wife, for instance, wouldn't care however she will notice the $0.30 difference. It will add up when buying full albums. The choice is really nice though and I wonder if Higher quality audio tracks means Higher Quality Video (HD) is not too far off either...
  • edited April 2007
    nope, if, and only if, you buy a full album, the price remains the same. that's what I was trying to say earlier, individual songs are more expensive, full albums are not.
    also, this is in addition to the drm-ed 128kps stuff, your wife will still be able to purchase the same songs at 0.99 if she prefers.
    I stand corrected, thanks. I know which I'll be buying...
    Wow, even better.
    This is Encouraging, I'm ready to buy music now..
    and i heard you're ready to quit drinking too! :p
    nimmot:and i heard you're ready to quit drinking too! :p
    That's a lie.. I think.. :wink:
    i might actually start using the itunes store - i have a nippod and itunes but i just hate the idea of someone sticking some drm shite all over my files that i bought with my own moneys.

Sans DRM? yes please.
    nimmot:and i heard you're ready to quit drinking too! :p
    now why would anyone go and do that?!