piano stairs

edited September 2012 in conversations
aka "how to get more people to use the stairs, rather than the escalator" - bit of a fitness drive, i guess.

Comments

• that's awesome. i wish they'd left it permanently, if for no other reason than the sheer glee it gave people. :)
  • edited September 2012
    this is a cool thing that is happening in Montreal right now.

it's an experiment in cooperation (also, swinging is good for your abdominal muscles).
    21 Balançoires takes over a newly open space in front of Université du Québec à Montréal’s Science Faculty. Together with Luc-Alain Giraldeau, an animal behaviour professor from the faculty, we explored the topic of cooperation which states that together we achieve better things than separately.

The result is a giant collective instrument made of 21 musical swings; each swing in motion triggers different notes, all the swings together compose a piece, but some sounds only emerge from cooperation. The project stimulates ownership of the new space, bringing together people of all ages and backgrounds, and creating a place for playing and hanging out in the middle of the city centre.

the website has still photos and another vid that is better, but it won't embed here.

21-Balancoires

• i wish they'd left it permanently
    yeah, i often think this about public installations, shame really!