Joost™

edited March 2007 in conversations
What's Joost?

Joost is a new way of watching TV on the internet. With Joost, you get all the things you love about TV, including a high-quality full-screen picture, hundreds of full-length shows and easy channel-flipping.

See the Quicktime promo: What's Joost

joost.com

Comments

• edited 9:28PM
    so, who's gonna invite me? :(
    me too please =(
    no me first!

~tries to look all seductive like. primps hair. flashes thigh~
    i haven't got enough time to watch normal tv, let alone internet tv.

send me an invite, plskthx!
    No invites from me yet, sorry.
  • edited March 2007
    Aren't they the guys from Kazaa and Skype?

They are using the Kazaa and Skype technology for TV. Essentially p2p for TV. So the more popular the show, the easier it is to watch.

Cool.:happy::happy::happy:

Only one thing. Bandwidth :nausea:

Joost is a streaming video application, and so uses a relatively high amount of bandwidth per hour. In one hour of viewing, approximately 320Mb data will be downloaded and 105Mb uploaded, which means that it will exhaust a 1Gb cap in 10 hours. Windows users should note that the application continues to run in the background after you close the main window. For this reason, if you pay for your bandwidth usage per megabyte or have your usage capped by your ISP, you should be careful to always exit Joost client completely when you are finished watching it.
    btw would like a invite too pls.:wink:
    That bandwidth issue will be interesting as currently in the UK at least, all the isp's throttle p2p connections, and have a so called "fair usage policy" (other name to enable them to limit supposedly unlimited broadband)
    Anyone using yet?
    'all', jamm?
    maybe not all, but all the residential ones i know about.. ;)
  • edited April 2007
    Oh man, it's fooking amazing, i can watch loads of new stuff like Heroes and Lost. It's a killer app.

*Okay still haven't got my invite :awkward:
    jamm:maybe not all, but all the residential ones i know about.. ;)
    ok, that's a pretty fair assumption, i guess. i'm (still, geez...) with eclipse. they throttle torrent stuff, but it's pretty easy to get around by encrypting. i wonder if it's as easy as that for joosting...
    man, this shit is actually pretty cool. not sure i'd be wanting to pay for anything though, or streaming anything huge - that's what torrents are for :D
  • edited April 2007
    it's definitely and 'experience' when it starts up though, full screen'n'all
    this is kind of like a combination of torrents and watching it. you watch it while the data comes. it's truly based on a community though... more viewers means more viewers... and more viewers. but, it might not work for people who like to watch the lesser viewed things. plus, the conversion time is amazing lengthy to get any content up there. i'm talking months for a specific channel.
    yeah, what i meant was, films and stuff - i'd rather play them locally (that way, i'd have a local copy, eh) :)
    and, um, what do you mean by stuff?!

jk.

i feel ya... i'm just it's only a matter of time before someone figures out the packet information and who to put the bits of the stream back together so you can view it later.
    just received my signup-email so i could dl the app... :smile:

it's pretty fun watching that stuff but it's also pretty limited... not many shows/channels...

but it works ok i guess...
    Woohoo, just got my invite!
    invite... perdy please :smile:
    got my invite!!1!!1eleven!1!!!!!

=> T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U.
    Note: it will only work with Intel Macs, not PowerPC.
  • edited April 2007
    XL Recordings.... ~gets a stiffy
    Damn just for intel macs?
    Hopefully they will make a ppc version.
    chicken:XL Recordings.... ~gets a stiffy
    damn, chicken! you call that meenie-weenie a stiffy? :)
  • edited April 2007
    damn bastids.. they sent me an intel app.... :nausea: drinks beer..lightbulb pops up over head.. AHA! d/les the PC version .. I knew I'd find a use fer the.. ahem.. cowers, Dell laptop someone gave me...heh
  • edited April 2007
    ... now i'm getting curious!

if someone got a spare invite and don't know what to do with it ... well .. i'd take it! :)
  • edited April 2007
    michael:... now i'm getting curious!

if someone got a spare invite and don't know what to do with it ... well .. i'd take it! :)

As far as I know.. there are no invites.. You had to sign up for the beta program.. oh and i need more ram in the cheap pc.. o. well
    There's not going to be a PPC version.

Also, there are invites- they are just slow to accumulate.
    Biff:There's not going to be a PPC version..
    "Will there be a Joost client for Mac PPC?

Yes, a Mac PPC version is in the works too."

http://www.joost.com/support/faq/Feature-requests.html#Will-there-be-a-Joost-client-for-Mac-PPC
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, have a nice time decoding H.264 and other HD with it. I stand by my answer, regardless of the FAQ.
    so FAQ the FAQS!
    ... will faq for invite! :)
    i have 3 invites...
    I have 2 invites... one has gone already...
  • edited April 2007
    Can i get one of those livepulse please? ;) (or mesk)
    Sure when i get home (much later), i'll send you one. Whisper me your email addy...
    ~ raises hand, me! me! me! me too, please! :))
    i also have 3 joost invites :) -whisper your email to me, if you'd like one!
    Has anyone found the hidden pr0n channel yet?
    from today on (or even yesterday) everyone can invite his friends to joost (yesterday i had 999 invites left) ... so, if anyone is still interested i'm gonna stw ...

any news about the secret pr0n channel? :))
  • edited May 2007
    did anyone send you one yet base? i have a 'couple' left, let me know :)
    got one thanks :smile:
    if anyone can send me an invite - you will be considered most kind indeed :)

Been trying to get on joost for about one month now.

Luke
  • amam
    edited 9:28PM
    would love an invite too :)

thank u

hey everyone :D:tongue:
    lukedidit:if anyone can send me an invite - you will be considered most kind indeed :)

Been trying to get on joost for about one month now.

Luke
    am:would love an invite too :)

thank u

hey everyone :D:tongue:
    whisper your email ...
  • QQ
    edited 9:28PM
    evil michael.. how could you forget about me :(
    You can whisper your email to me too! I have unlimited invites too.