How to wirelessly connect a WD TV Live media player to an Airport WPA2 network?

edited January 2012 in conversations
Via WPS? I tried that with a PIN but my Airport Extreme did not find my WD TV... or vice versa. Any hints as to how to connect Non-Apple 3rd party WiFi ready gear to an Airport WPA2 network would be greatly appreciated. Fanks!

Comments

• I don't think WPS will work, that's for other devices. Can't you just manually input your network name (SSID) and password?
  • I also tried it with SSID. Nada. My bad for not mentioning that in my previous post.
  • weird. I know some devices choke on special characters (like & or %). If you have any in your password, might be worth trying a password with just numbers and letters.
  • edited January 2012
    Some WPA implementations require specific length passwords (specifically 8 or 13). The Apple router doesn't require it, but the WDTV might.

Also the WDTV isn't compatible with WPA2 Professional.

thisnothis
  • Biff & McKs,

I think you're both on to something regarding the length of my password. Currently it's set up as WPA/WPA2 Personal but the password contains 63 characters, including &%$ etc.

I think I'll have to come up with a a shorter password.

Thanks for your time d00ds
  • http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/how-long-does-a-wpa-key-need-to-be/127
    That might ease your mind regarding the lengte of your password. It did for me anyway.
  • dave at work created a 'random string' type password for your wifi there, and it's a total pain in the arse to enter it on the phone.
  • EatHorseMeat is just as secure as fD2h,77hzdZyA and a lot easier to remember.
  • no wonder it won't work, typohell ;)
  • So? How'd this go?
  • It still won't connect.

I choose to connect via WiFi on my WDTV Live but after I've entered the 14 character password it asks me to enter an IP addy, because "choosing automatically" won't work.

I'll reduce the length of my password to 10 characters and see how that goes.
  • have you tried doing it with all security turned off?
  • Hey Chicken, how ya doing mate?

Try this:

Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal
    Radio Mode: 802.11n only (5GHz) - unless you need to use b/g.
    Channel: 36 (Automatic)

Generate a 12 char password.
    Multicast Rate: 6 Mbps

Should just work :)