Finding New Music?

edited March 2007 in conversations

Comments

• edited 1:20AM
    "when I buy a Nine Inch Nails album." You buy music? Please don't buy stoner music :nausea:..
    I have the same issue base. Right now I go through my preferences on Amazon and see what they come up with from time to time, but its nothing of what you seem to be wanting as they always keep trying to tell me to check out lame shit that I keep rejecting. But I do get to find some good stuff from time to time.
  • edited March 2007
    not quite what you're after, and I can't remember where I got this from (so apologies if it's been posted before)...but often quite good nevertheless:

ummm...can't remember how to get a link to look like anything other than a link, so it's www.pandora.com

...sometimes it can be surprisingly accurate at guessing what you'd like.:smile:

pff, and I can't even manage to get it to be a link, or even to write "be" in italics

[edit again]...Plus.. the Music Genome Project (that's what Pandora is) appears to require a US Zip code if you listen for too long...that's changed since I was last there, but they're trying to get their international licencing happening. Still worth a visit.
  • edited March 2007
    pandora does not inform you of new releases by artists one likes. and while we're on the subject of Pandora:

http://www.last.fm
    last.fm doesn't inform you of _new_ releases of your fav. artists (or similar ones), does it?
    Um, find people who like music that you like, and then ask them what they're listening to. Works most of the time, for me (though occasionally, my friends listen to weird stuff).

Last.fm is nice, I use Synergy (or iScrobbler) to send it iTunes stats. Once you have some stats up there, you can click around their site to find people who listen to similar music, and see what they're enjoying. They also have a system of "similar music" if you click around in your own music stats.

Stoner music? Trent Reznor is a genius. :tongue:
    i use peel, i often find myself listening to shit that i would never have considered before. it's not always good, obviously, but sometimes i do go and download more of what i like, illegally. :)
    heh...I have to admit that I spend most of my time looking for videos of flamenco guitarists on youtube rather than tracking down "new" music..so much stuff I would have given anything to have seen back in the early '90s when I was sitting in my bedroom trying to work out how it was done (and also how to play flamenco guitar). There was this one 1986 album that I had a tape of a tape of....everyone seems to agree that it's one of the best ever, but it was only released on vinyl in Germany (I think)...anyway, my ancient tape is just about worn out and the album is nowhere to be found. However, there is video footage of the guitarist playing around that period, explaining how he composed some of those pieces...really satisfying to come across that after twenty years.:smile:
    I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. I'd definitly suggest last.fm I'f you're looking for new music that fits your taste/mood. :smile:
    A little off topic be JJJ in Oz offer free downloads of unsigned bands. All the new music you can eat.
    michael:last.fm doesn't inform you of _new_ releases of your fav. artists (or similar ones), does it?
    no it doesn't :smile:
    mondo, what is the artist and album name?
    I listen to the ye olde radio - DJ's get white labels and dub plates of new music that you cant get yet. Radio 1/1 extra is particularly good for this, but I dunno how it fares with rock music. Failing that, look and see what distributors there are for your genre of music, they usually have lists of upcoming releases but lol if they have rss.
  • edited March 2007
    /me punches radio 1 in the tits