Migraine 3.0

edited May 2011 in conversations
I think I found a new version on the weekend.

Eight to twelve hours of:

Loss of speech
Loss of both fine and gross motor control (to the point of not being able to stand or grasp simple objects)
All thoughts and feelings triggered by external stimuli and visa versa. Quite surreal actually, but scary seeing bleeding zombie faces when someone speaks.
All senses crossed over. Sound is vision, vision is physical pain, pain is bright etc.
and my favourite, partial paralysis of the left side.

Then a brain reboot. Each sense cycles through a "startup". Whole body itchy (itchy bones are not fun), then in pain, then burning etc.

Finally sleep for 12 hours. Aftershocks for 12 hours.

I think I preferred the super painful/dark room ones from many years ago.

Comments

• edited 11:00PM
    I'll keep the super painful/dark room ones thanks. I too suffer from migraines.

I sure hope for your sake those don't happen too often
    Bognostraglum said...I'll keep the super painful/dark room ones thanks. I too suffer from migraines.

I sure hope for your sake those don't happen too often
    Thanks. Used to have the classic ones like you. Then a 15 year gap. Then small fast ones. Sharp pain then mind messed up for an hour or so. This one is new so no telling how often. Not looking forward to finding out.

I hope yours clear up.
    I belong to this club. I have migraine with aura, sight loss lasts 30mins to an hour and can occur 2 or 3 times before the migraine kicks in. Then I usually have a persistant residual headache that can last a week to 10 days.

I'm actually unsure if I'm about to start a migraine today... eyesight is decidedly patchy :depressed:

Itchy bones sounds a lot less fun, :heart: jargo
    nicko, your sight loss. Can you see but not process what you are seeing? I seem to be getting that a lot now. I can look into a room but not be able to tell you if there was anyone in there.

Fingers crossed you are just tired.
    these sounds like some far out bad trips, man.
    Exactly that jargo, I used to think that I only had peripheral vision but if I really concentrate I can see things but not see them... sounds odd but that's how it is.

Ya fingers crossed.
    Also, the "happy birthday christo" thread title colour is really fucking with my head right now :depressed:
    hah, sorry - i was just trying to knock the nsfw threads back a bit, whilst keeping them separated somehow.
    The biggest problem with mine is that I wake up with them... no warning signs.. nadda... just the full blown pain on wake up. Usually accompanied with bouts of vomiting.

The vision is more like living in a surreal environment where nothing is nailed down. Things seems to swim in a world of clear thick fluid, where somethings are more solid than others. Really hard to describe the sensation.

The nice thing is when our pantry is done, it'll be the darkest place in the house. Just a little bit of light coming in under the door which could be dealt with quite easily.
    sounds very familiar Jargo, im into about day 40 of my current headache.

the latest visual field issue that ive had recurrring for a good few days is that the whole world has a top right shifted skew applied to it. its like living in a Zaha Hadid world.

But my favourite in the past has been where my left eye saw in black and white while my right saw colour but red-green colorblind

I was recently in for a CT scan which they ran twice when different aura were presenting. Preliminary non-answers from the doctors included vertebrobasilar migraine or bickerstaff syndrome.

Previous scans a few years ago revealed that i have an infarction in my visual cortex which they explained away my migraines to (they jumped to this the moment i said i played rugby mind). Now they think it isn't that but that i have a vector between ENT infections and brain-stem inflammation...... they make it up as they go along methinks
    I know what you mean Bognostraglum. The vision thing is a bit odd. Things move around in relation to each other. Little buggers just wont stay still. It's like watching a movie with post production 3d (Clash of the Titans). I hope the new pantry helps.

Day 40 urbansurgeon?!! Ouch. I sometimes get that I'm tilted to the right. Why is it always to the right? My neurologist was pretty upfront. He said you get migraines. The come, they go and can mutate over time. Should stop in a few years. Perhaps when I'm 50ish. Yay? Might come back for a last party 20 years after that.
    Dr stated the same.
    In a nutshell "Huh.. you get no warning signs.. well that sucks for you cause i cant' help you. Thank for stopping by."

The after effects last anywhere from 2 days to a week.

After reading this thread... I have to say, I'm one lucky duck not to have the events described by you folks. At least for now.
    i'm in the club. among distinguished company, i might add. :)

yeah.. synaesthesia, unilateral limb weakness, visual distortions and hallucinations, profound nausea, etc etc etc... and the pain. the pain, the p a i n.

seldom more than 3 days; usually 12-36 hours (ish). if i can get it under control before it gets bad, i can avoid most of the pain; the other symptoms do not abate, but often i can sleep it all off.

men, in general, seem to have more clusters of migraine occurrence than women. no one really knows why. i can get a rebound headache a couple of days later, but nothing like some of you guys deal with.

Bog.. i'd lean on that doc. there are plenty of helpful strategies,not the least of which includes a prescription for a small supply of low-dose merperidine and promethazine suppositories (no way you can swallow a pill at that point). low-dose, because you're not after the narcotic pain relief, but the action merperidine (Demerol) has as a muscle relaxant.. the promethazine is a combo sedative and anti-emetic.

this IS good company to be in. no one who hasn't experienced migraine can really know how it is. "bad bad headache" just doesn't cover it.

:heart: our heads

my best strategy... if there's nothing else... is to get really warm and stay that way. really REALLY warm. no laying down. relax with head higher than heart. mask all light and sound if they cause pain (always). let me reemphasize the warm.

x
    You know, a doctor once suggested that my propensity to migraine was due to the meningitis as a kid. I don't know, I think you either get them or don't.
    Not sure I like the sound of muscle relaxant suppositories.
    Actually Mick, the Doc did mention the drugs thing but I'm not a fan of taking things unless I there is no choice. He did prescribe some sort of suppositories but I never did fill that... lol.. the ides of stuffing things up an orifice that was designed for exit only doesn't appeal to me one itty bitty bit. So in the end the pain is something that must be dealt with so T3's take the edge off. Now Tamarcett (sp?) is the one that was recently prescribed. Apparently it doesn't have the side effects of T3's. They don't work quite as well, but it's easier on the system.

Never heard of the warm part. Going to try that when the next event hits, which hopefully isn't for a long... long ... time. The dark dark place is nice though.
    urbansurgeon said...Not sure I like the sound of muscle relaxant suppositories.
    wouldn't it just fall out? :D
  • edited May 2011
    chris said...wouldn't it just fall out? :D
    HAHA! :happy:
    lol
    Sound advice as always mick. Never thought of the keeping warm thing.

Am rugged up home right now. Couldn't face work today. The a/c noise (see other thread is just too much right now.
    [UPDATE]

Spoke to my GP today. She kind of went white when I described the above head bender. Immediately gave me a referral to see a neurologist. Wants a brain scan of some sort.

Said next time call an ambulance. :awkward:

Words like "stroke" and "death" came up a little too often. :awkward::awkward:
    shit, :heart: jargo
  • edited May 2011
    Wifey has been suffering these for some time, including joint aches. Then last week, she couldn't remember words, names of close members of family, and increased bouts of dizziness, and she thought she was having a mini-stroke.

GP got her in for a CT scan, results incoming.

However, we think that it was caused by her Mirena coil, had it removed immediatley, and she feels a lot better almost instantly. In her case, it's most likely the progesterone/oestrogen imbalance that has been messing with her. Probably totally unrelated to all of your above symptoms, but i wholly recommend getingt yourself into doctors/hospital for a full check up.

Hope you all are fine, and symptoms can be alleviated. Fingers crossed on the CT scan.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks nicko.

Glad she has found a solution meska. Fingers crossed she can stay that way.

Off to see the neurologist in a few weeks. The good professor is hard to get an appointment with.
    Here's hoping they can give you more insight as to what's happening Jargo. I suppose the ideal way would be if you were in an event at the time of diagnosis.

Its funny about Dr's.. one may just dismiss a condition as a minor annoyance while others may consider it dire. At least ours likes to get to the bottom of things.
    it's always good to know if you have an AV malformation causing the headaches, rather than the usual hypersensitive cluster of arterioles in your brain. it can be a fine distinction, but AV malfs can bust; the typical over-reactive blood vessels, usually don't.

i love it when the docs go pale, though, don't you? :)
  • edited May 2011
    mick said...it's always good to know if you have an AV malformation causing the headaches, rather than the usual hypersensitive cluster of arterioles in your brain. it can be a fine distinction, but AV malfs can bust; the typical over-reactive blood vessels, usually don't.

i love it when the docs go pale, though, don't you? :)
    Thanks mick. Always a good source if information. I wonder if the ringing in my ears or the "whoosh" noise I get inside my head are related? Happens from time to time. Other times my hearing drops out briefly. I guess I'd better start taking the stuff seriously. Can't be having my brain go pop. I need it from time to time. ;)

I'm not sure if "i love it when the docs go pale" is quite how I'd describe though. Does get your attention though. :tongue:

p.s. Thanks for the terrifying AV malformation option. Does kind of cover pretty much all of my symptoms though. Including a few I thought of as unrelated. Though I do have a fist full of food allergies so hypersensitive cluster of arterioles might fit the bill too. I think I prefer the later. :heart:
    Holy shit dudes! I guess this just means that it's best to get checked over by someone who (should) knows what they are doing, in order to stay safe.
    Morphine works great...
    Woo hoo. Getting a pic of the inside of my head on Tuesday! An MRI at 12.10 PM.

If all clear then it's Epilim twice a day. Which is an added bonus as it might help with the bipolar. Yay for me :wink:
    Nice.. lets hope they find nothing.. erm.. well at least find a brain in there. cause without that you'd just be another politician ... you aren't a politician are you? cause if you are and they do find a brain then we'd have to assume that you're ....

awe man!!!

well that just sucked.. the train of thought I was on just had a huge derailment. now I'm just rambling on about nothing in particular. does that make me a politician too?
    If all clear then it's Epilim twice a day. Which is an added bonus as it might help with the bipolar. Yay for me

yay for both of you!
    nicko said...If all clear then it's Epilim twice a day. Which is an added bonus as it might help with the bipolar. Yay for me

yay for both of you!
    Hahahaha.

Damn MRI is loud. The first 20 minutes I could cope with but the last 10 I was starting to lose my calm. Meds are not too bad. Crappy side effects but they are tapering off after 3 days. Fingers crossed all will be well enough to go back into training. Only got 9 weeks until the City2Surf.
    MRI scans are freaky innit?
    MRI's can be noisy alright.

At least I got to listen to music.

sometimes the side effects are worse than the condition, which really sucks.

good luck with the event.. keep us posted
    Music would have been nice. Something timed to the noise.

Feeling pretty clear headed. First time in a very long time. Didn't realise just how foggy I've been inside my brain pan. Still getting pretty tired after the meds. Having to titrate up to double the dose tomorrow night. I guess another couple of weeks and all will be sweet. Just in time for skiing!!

Managed another run last night. 8km along the bay. Had my girl there on her new (very cute) bike. Managed to shave 10 minutes off my time (I've been very, very slow). Actually looking forward to the race instead of dreading it.

Thanks guys.
  • edited November 2011
    /me checks in :depressed:

Had aura last night before bed so dosed up on painkillers and tried to get a good nights sleep.

I think I might have dodged this one, have a bit of a headache and still a slight patchiness in my vision though... let's see what happens
    uh oh,m good lucks to you :o)

big, fat, spliff.
    :!:
    The list posted elsewhere is a good start. Step away from the computah and coffee on the weekend, and see how you fare.
    Glad you dodged that one.

I'm off the mends for over a month now. Rough ride down as it was up but I'm all clear of the side effects now.

No migraines so far. Some symptoms though. When I look at my hands they are hyper real. Like CGI, very good CGI. Some fun light effects and the odd small headache.

:smile: