smtp/stupid

edited April 2011 in advice
i'll start out by saying i am stupid and proceed to make it really obvious.

i've been using and an outgoing mail server that i got thru my wife's i.t. guy. worked fine for years from everywhere until yesterday. now i can't send mail anymore.
i use the appple mail app.
i tried copying my wife's new smtp settings, but it says (offline).
i tried several different ports etc…

what to do?

i travel a lot and having one smtp that worked everywhere was great. i have never really used my last several ip providers set ups and think there must be a way around this.
my incoming server has been the same for years, no problem there.

webmail works fine but i'm pretty used to having an internal app with all kinds of folders and filters…

???????????????

Comments

• edited April 2011
    It looks the smtp server may or not be a goner. Open up a free gmail account and use their smtp server in apple.mail. It's worked for me for years. And if your main mail account isn't gmail..It will forward it to you after you tweak it.. :)
  • edited 11:40PM
    Check that the port number hasn't been blocked by the ISP (for anything other than their smtp server).
  • edited April 2011
    chris said...Check that the port number hasn't been blocked by the ISP (for anything other than their smtp server).
    Ya a lot of ISP's block mail port numbers if your not a customer.. I.E coffeshops ,etc using a local provider. gmail gives another port that pretty much works if you are traveling.. If not.. pull out the browser..

You've probably been blocked on port 25..
    me thinks that the server is dead, if it works on your wife's hardware, is she using her login details to access it? that may be a difference, what's the actual error message you get?
    i think the server is dead.
    i've got gmail, i'll try blue's suggestion.
    prolly be back here soon to ask how the f i do that.
    Some of the options are covered but what I'm not clear on is:

Does it still work for you wife (if it's not working for her then I'm not going to say any more :) )?

If so, are you testing this SMTP server in the same location? If it's working for her and you are in the same location then it's something wrong with your machine's set-up... check firewall settings, have you got P.G.P installed (if so bin it, it's shit!)?

If it's working for her and you're in a different location then (as some have said) it could be the network you're on that is blocking the SMTP ports or equally, said mail server could now only be accepting connections from its internal network interfaces, not external...

Solutions: some have already been mentioned - Gmail, non-std port. I think Yahoo might use a non-standrd one too. You could just use webmail. Google apps if you've got your own email or just gmail if not; with this you could use Apple mail via IMAP or web mail, actually same with Yahoo too (just use the mobile access server settings for IMAP).

If you're real friendly with the IT guy you could always see about a VPN connection! I've not come across these ports being blocked by coffeehouse wifi and it would also cover the issue if they'd block external connections...
  • edited April 2011
    it works!
    guess the server was just down.
    not really sure what the server is, just swiped it from my wife's former i.t. guy.
    she now has another server which i also tried unsuccessfully. it said i was "offline"
    since i don't really no much about the server i'm using i'll hook onto the gmail server as well so i'm covered.

thanks all for the help!
  • edited April 2011
    Redneck in Exile said...it works!
    not really sure what the server is, just swiped it from my wife's former i.t. guy.
    she now has another server which i also tried unsuccessfully. it said i was "offline"
    since i don't really no much about the server i'm using i'll hook onto the gmail server as well so i'm covered.

thanks all for the help!
    It's good to have an extra server.. In mail.app you can switch between servers with no problems. Also the gmail server can be set up as SSL which is good if you're on a laptop and away from home.
    blueshead said...
    Redneck in Exile said...it works!

thanks all for the help!
    It's good to have an extra server.. In mail.app you can switch between servers with no problems. Also the gmail server can be set up as SSL which is good if you're on a laptop and away from home.
    Sound advice, you should take it Mr' Red' :)