Limited File Display

edited March 2011 in advice
I've got a WD TV Life Plus which I use to watch .avi movies and tv series. I save them all on an Acer one terrabyte external drive.

All of the files are there on the drive; I can see and scroll through them on my tv, or even move them about.

But when I connect that drive to either my iMac or MB in order to save further files or do some management, I seem to be limited in what I can see.

They're there in column view, all in alphabetical order, right down to "T" but no further.

Is this a limitation of the OS or of the Mac, as it occurs in both the iMac and MB?

Really curious, and can be a great annoyance if I want to manage files in the latter part of the alphabet, which I know are there and can see using the WD, but can't access connected to the computers.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Comments

• edited 11:55AM
    proper weird. did you manage the files at all by moving them using the WDTV?
    If I remember, all the files were initially moved in from the computer, and then I've done some management of them by putting them in different folders - eg. current viewing, seen, old movies, etc, And the ones I can see I have no problem moving about and then the new arrangement will show up on the WDTV.

Only problem seems to be that the iMac and MB don't want to see the great long list of files, at least in column view (haven't tried another) and just cuts it off after a particular point. But the files are still there! I remember once trying to copy from the iMac onto the external and it told me the file was already there, I just couldn't see it.

Weird. Makes for some awkwardness in management.
    RESOLVED I think

I decided to clean up the long list which was quite a pain to go all the way through by putting the files into several different folders, just labelled A ~ H, etc.

In the middle of doing that, I had dozens of files just disappear with their new folder! Aaaagh!

So I ran DW and found everything. The disc did really appear to need cleaning up. DW repaired everything, and everything's back where it should be.

Still don't quite understand what happened, but tg for DW.
    right, that sounds like a result then, because i had no idea.

i heard that managing files from the WDTV used to be a bit dodgy, but i'd hazard a guess that recent firmware updates had that sorted a while ago.