Apple has me stymied.

edited March 2011 in advice
... it's the App Store, or rather the iTunes store, App division.

the whole thing works around credit cards, which i don't have. coming from Canada, the site doesn't accept PayPal.

even free apps are ending up at the App Store, and many aren't bothering to carry a non-AppStore download at their home site.

:(

in a past OS, i had some finagle going that allowed me to get into the iTunes store without a credit card; it gave me the option to enter "none", but i was still on their roles and could take advantage of freebies if i wanted.

that finagle stopped working.

i've gone through the discussions on the Apple forums without joy. one suggestion was to change location to the USA, where you can enter "none" in the CC# field. :D that got me nearly banned from Apple. my password was summarily executed. i re-Canadianized myself.

any ideas for me, friends? (getting a CC is not an option).

Comments

• edited 8:13AM
    Bittorrent!
    get a cheap gift card. buy a few things. leave a tiny balance.. i've a balance of $3.50 for years so i get album covers and free apps.
    itunes gift cards and enter the code.

Apple will take money from people with good credit, bad credit, no credit and too smart to use credit.
    You don't have a debit card either?
    Not much wrong with credit cards, IMO - they give you £9k interest free for 2 months (if you time it right), pay you 1% of that back as cash, fight your corner in payment disputes, give you free travel insurance, and and and, etc.

This is no help, of course ;) pretty sure I signed up without a credit card back in the day.
    "one suggestion was to change location to the USA, where you can enter "none" in the CC# field. :D that got me nearly banned from Apple. my password was summarily executed. i re-Canadianized myself."

I'll bet you forgot to use an American Proxy...
    what chris said
    i just failed Steath 101 in public, didn't i? :awkward:

dang... good bet.

the itunes gift card is a fantastic idea. i bet i can pull that one off. COOL

and.. yeah, no debit card either. CC's are fine, but not for me. i am abysmally poor. there's a small group of folk that maintain a collective CC for emergencies (death in the family, need to book a flight kinds of things). that's as close as i'll ever get. by the time i finish paying my bills, there's no cash left to spend. :) i have pretty much everything i need, just no money.

thanks for the thoughts, good people...

gift card...

door to door gift solicitation here i come!