collaboration: the fazylucker mixtape

edited February 2011 in creations
So....

The plan is for Stuart to start the ball rolling, by picking a track to kick this mixtape off. Stuart, post a youtube of the track if possible here in this thread as well as some info about it and drop your track into the dropbox. Spread the knowledge.

Whoever wants to pick up the baton next, pick a track that links somehow to Stuart's, either via band member, producer, cover version, sample, roadie - whatever, just don't make the link too tenous. Again, post a youtube vid and a small description describing the link, and drop your track into the dropbox.

And repeat until we have enough to fill an hour. (Long enough to make an entire journey to work painful).

Someone at the end, will pick up all the tracks and mix down as one and post link here.

[Disclaimer bit: please pick tracks out of your own library :D. Please leave spam out of this thread, and comment in here.
Don't be stupid is all i'm saying. This post is subject to change, so keep an eye out.]

Mixtape Dropbox

Username: futureofthefunk@gmail.com
Password: fazyluckers

And so be it.

Comments

• edited February 2011

Death in Vegas - Aisha

Was trying to think of a track and band that had a decent amount of member connections to start off with.

Firstly, the track has Iggy Pop on vocals, and the album The Contino Sessions has collaborations with Jim Reid (Jesus and Mary Chain), Bobby Gillespie (Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream), Dot Allison (worked with Massive Attack, Babyshambles, Arab Strap and many others). Their next album has collabs with Paul Weller, Liam Gallagher, Nicola Kuperus(ADULT.) and many more.

Should be enough to be going on with.
  • edited 11:57AM

China Girl – Iggy Pop

Kind of an obvious to link lead singer to lead singer but I've always found this version of the song and the album The Idiot to be fascinating (so I'm going to go with it).

The song was co-written with David Bowie in 1976 and marked a change in direction for Pop and the beginning of the Berlin era for Bowie who went on to record three electronic albums with Brian Eno. Bowie covered the song on his Let's Dance album (produced by Nile Rodgers), released as a single when Iggy Pop was financially on his knees and up to his eyeballs in drug addicition. The royalties helped Pop recover financially.

Iggy's China Girl was produced by Tony Visconti who has worked with David Bowie, T.Rex, The Moody Blues, Morrissey, Thin Lizzy and many more.

Carlos Alomar plays guitar and has a track record with Bowie but more recently with the Scissor Sisters.

Dennis Davis plays drums and later went on to play with Stevie Wonder

Phil Palmer also plays guitar, Phil's famous uncle is Ray Davies of the Kinks

From wiki:
    The album has been cited as a major influence on a number of post-punk, electronic and industrial artists including Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails and Joy Division, whose lead singer Ian Curtis was found hanged in 1980 with the record still spinning on his turntable.
  • edited February 2011

Ben E. King

Many links from the song posted previously, but i'm going with the Carlos Alomar one, for the guitar work he did on Ben E. King's Supernatural Thing album, and in particular the lead track- one of my most favourite tracks of that whole era - which brought Mr King, chart success after a 14 year hiatus. The whole album is a classic in soul and funk history, with many band members going on to carve out careers in their own right in their respective fields.

Produced by the legendary Tony 'Champagne' Silvester and Bert 'Super Charts' De Coteaux, who masterminded a string of hits on Atlantic Records during the 70s.

More band info found here.

I was tempted to immediately go for the obvious: Stevie Wonder's Supersttion, but…. pedalling off to work, i was singing the King cut, and at some point it became this Nina Simone offering.

Save Me was written by Aretha Franklin's father and uncle. Nina recorded it in 1967, but Aretha's version was released early that year and became a megahit.

Instead of including it on her Silk & Soul, (originally released in 1967 on the RCA Victor) Nina held it back. The album was re-mastered in 2006 by Legacy, and Save Me was included this time. (which is why i managed to get a copy).

I prefer it to Aretha's version (which is awesome, of course) because of that funky soul-jazz flavour that Simone added.

That same funky flavour that led me from Ben E. King's Supernatural Thing to her Save Me as I sang.
  • edited February 2011

ok, perhaps not so esoteric as some might have liked, except for the slightly tenuous segue.

save me, while sometimes uncredited, was co-written by curtis ousley –aka: king curtis. king curtis is a big favourite of mine and i'd have loved to gone to him, but while thoroughly enjoying the r&b tangent, i wanted to open up the thread a bit. backwards and forwards or sideways –you can go a lot of places with jimi.
    save me was an adaptation of help me by king curtis and recorded by ray sharpe. i kinda wanted to use that, or a later variation by king curtis called instant groove. while checking this stuff out i found that jimi hendrix palyed on the ray sharpe record. so that's the connection.
  • edited April 2011

Perhaps this is too simple a link, Henrix on Guitar for Curtis, but when I looked at some more tenuous links I didn't like the tracks! We could always hit 'skip' :)

During the 1970s, after Hendrix's demise, Knight moved to London, England where he formed the group "Curtis Knight, Zeus", and toured throughout Europe, relying on his "Hendrix" connection for many years. Among the musicians enlisted was "Fast" Eddie Clarke who went on to fame as part of the line up which made Motörhead famous on such records as "Bomber" and "Ace of Spades" during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Motorhead shared a record label with The Damned and collaborated on a track called "Over The Top" which was the B side to "Bomber". The track, however, was not released since the recording session ended up in drunken mess.

I grew up loving The Damned, "Alone Again Or" is the last 7" release I bought. Itis a cover version, the original is by 60s rock group Love. The track marks the end of the Damned's hit making career :depressed:

/me puts on black eyeliner
  • edited March 2011

I'll be honest, I've been really lazy with this one, The Damed were (in part) born out of Masters of the Backside a member of whom was Chrissie Hynde. Thanks wiki!!

~ Hands-up if you didn't fancy Hynde when YOU were a young man!
    edited for nicko clarity ;)
    purely as a sound association... from Chrissie Hynde's smooth contralto and the psychedelic fuzz guitars to the creamy vocals and that same fuzzy psychedelic feel of The Black Angels

the band's name derives from the Velvet Underground song "The Black Angel's Death Song". Bad Vibrations is from their 3rd album: Phosphene Dream
    Okay, was a bit hard to extend this one, I didn't really want to move towards the Velvet Underground direction. So like the above connection, this is another modern psychedelic rock influenced British band, called The Coral. I picked this song and this band, because until i heard The Coral, i wasn't convinced about (white) men with rock guitars (I know, I know), but they opened my mind a lot to a sound and appreciation of rock that I didn't have much time for previously. Especially towards white r&b, psyche rock and prog-rock (I love David Axelrod and Gentle Giant, amongst others). I actually had a Gentle Giant track in mind, but I couldn't link it to the above, no matter how much I tried :)

It was also this song, that we used to blast at max volume at work to kick off the day, back in my advertising days. :D

If you haven't heard of The Coral (though i suspect you all do), i recommend you grab ALL their albums.
  • edited March 2011
    The Dead 60s, a liverpudlian ska band. it's a shame that bands like this fade away when so much shite continues to get pushed down people's throats.

formed during their school years, 'Rest Home', a 5-piece pop-punk outfit, played cover songs alongside their own material. the group subsequently swelled it's member (ooer!) count to 47, and changed their name to 'Pinhole' and their first release as the big-band ensemble was a 4-track EP called "122 duke street" (named after liverpudlian club 'the pit'). they made some pretty big moves in the industry, recording a session for peel, and supporting artists such green day and the hives. they split in 2003.

a few months later, they resurfaced under the name "The Dead 60s", and signed to the "made for the coral" deltasonic record label. toured heavily through the uk, supporting their stablemates and others, and then moved to america, where they had some success.

announced a split in 2008, and are yet to re-emerge...

from ska to funk in a thousand easy steps

Five Alarm Funk is a horn powered, percussion fuelled sonic and visual assault. If you ever have a chance to experience them live, do not hesitate.
  • edited May 2011
    Fazylucker Mixtape Volume 1

Done! Thanks to all who participated ( :heart: )

Fazylucker Mixtape Volume 1