the mixtape collab (the remix)... just ideas and stuff.

edited February 2011 in conversations
Okay let's do this (again)! :D

Props to those who did partcipate previously and to Nicko for starting it up originally. Apologies for failing on my part - i still have the playlist that i did for Sunk, but not mixed down.

Can we throw some ideas in, i think the pairing and making packaging thing might be asking too much as we all have a lot going on in our respective lives? Let's keep it simple.

Ideas please! I think a theme of some kind might be a useful start, as it would be good to hear many different genres of music in one mix/playlist but with a common link/thread running through it.

Anyone suggest a depository for tracks to be dropped into, maybe an FL dropbox?

Comments

• edited 12:04PM
    meska said...Anyone suggest a depository for tracks to be dropped into, maybe an FL dropbox?
    It's possible to share Spotify playlists isn't it? Could do it that way.

Get a proxy you New Worlders!
    pairing is why i had no oppurtunity to do this last time, as i never got an address to mail~ im def down with this! and even without the packaging you can still embed cover art and dropbox is perfect~its not just the playlist
    itunes recognizes zero gap, so i like mixing yo, i make mixes for the laura all the time so this right up my alley , and id be crazy curious to see what others come up with
    I didn't get an address either orson... we should have paired up!

I'm down for this (as long as I don't have to take something to the post office)
    Yeah no post office, i used to work for those *unts.

Anyway.

I liked Stuart's idea about using links within bands, roadies, members, producers etc... so that's one idea for sure.

Any more?
    orsonrockwell said...pairing is why i had no oppurtunity to do this last time, as i never got an address to mail~ im def down with this! and even without the packaging you can still embed cover art and dropbox is perfect~its not just the playlist
    itunes recognizes zero gap, so i like mixing yo, i make mixes for the laura all the time so this right up my alley , and id be crazy curious to see what others come up with

As do i, i like it mixing it up too. Here's a cheapo recommendation if you like the turntable idea (I've used Virtual DJ, Traktor etc), but Djay is awesome. I use it with my Macbook Pro, using the trackpad for the fader and controls, and use the iMic to get pre-cueing onto my Sennhausers. Rocked a few parties with these, and it links directly into iTunes and your playlists.
    Yeah, Stuart's idea was tops :)
    So... how about Stuart starts by picking a track, and we do, say a 15 track listing, with each subsequent person picking the next track with a link between each one? Probably need to determine the people and the order to submit track first though. What do you say y'all?
    has to google spotify
  • edited February 2011
    Mixtape starting track, no pressure!

So, mixtape starter, needs a good intro, not too obvious so that everyone is sick of it, not too obscure that no-one can get a connection from it, flexible enough in tone so that it can take the tape in multiple directions, not too long, not too epic that it can't be followed.

Doing this was so much easier when I only had four 7 inches and a Smiths Best Of.
    why rthere so many rules on this board, i follow less rues for paycheck then i do opening any discussion on this board
    Good to have some kind of link. Could just do anything we like, but hey, there's a tonnes of that ish out there.
    Im think im lost as to what is going on now, are we mixing one song after another? by that i mean one person posts a song then someone else does? I dont think that’s bad idea i just didn’t think that’s what was originally intended...im all conFOOZed
    meska said...So... how about Stuart starts by picking a track, and we do, say a 15 track listing, with each subsequent person picking the next track with a link between each one? Probably need to determine the people and the order to submit track first though. What do you say y'all?
    It's as far its got Orson. If and when Stuart starts, next person can pick up the baton, pick their track etc. And repeat. I'll set up a dropbox or something to drop the tracks into. Once we have as many tracks as we can take it, someone (me, you, whoever wants to mix it down) make the final file/s if need be. I personally think it should be mixed down as one larger fi;e mixtape.

Just a reminder, this is not one to be convoluted, i'm in it for the music and the thought process from one track to the next. Simples Easy.
    Oh, right, so I pick a track and we're off? No need to make a list of names first?
    Do it... I can go next or whenever really
    OFFICIAL THREAD YO!

Go for it mate. All set up. Let's keep the spam in here. Looking forward to it!
    Yeah, just whoever wants to pick up can do so. I really don't want to make this painful or annoying.
    Wicked stuff chaps!
    I'm after Nicko!
    Awesome :smile:
    fuck yes mesk, I love that Ben E King track :heart:
    Hehe, right who's next?
    Loving the historical slant that's for sure.
    Come on Blues, i've lined it up for you!
    Nicko, i don't find Bowie as meh any more ;)
    That's a good thing.

It's also good that we don't all like the same thing... what a borin' world that would be innit?

I'm also loving the historical side of this (I didn't actually know Alomar played with Ben E King)
    I was going to play one of Roy Ayer's tracks because Dennis Davis was a drummer for Roy for quite a long time before working with Bowie, and I thought let me look up Alamor just in case there's another soul link...
    I really hope someone else steps up for the next track, I don't fancy doing a round robin and following Ben E King.

The best connection I've got (without a good amount of research) is a massively tenuous link via Kenny Loggins!

And we don't want to go there.
    im getting out of this, i dont understand it anymore~ you guys are all about rules~ im all about 'not rules' and im confused but have fun with it yo!
    I will make a mix tape for the hell of it and upload to my druk thread-liste~ dont listen~la di da!
    Stuart said...I really hope someone else steps up for the next track, I don't fancy doing a round robin and following Ben E King.

The best connection I've got (without a good amount of research) is a massively tenuous link via Kenny Loggins!

And we don't want to go there.
    ...band member, producer, cover version, sample, roadie - whatever, just don't make the link too tenous...
    It could be a lyric... anything. I don't really care tbh.

~sighs
    meska said...
    ...band member, producer, cover version, sample, roadie - whatever, just don't make the link too tenous...

~sighs
    No, I think the song and connection is a great choice! I was just highlighting my own lack of knowledge of the funk/soul/whatever genres.

If we do go round robin I'm happy to do a bit of research to make those connections that I can't make yet.

:heart:
  • edited February 2011
    orsonrockwell said...im getting out of this, i dont understand it anymore~ you guys are all about rules~ im all about 'not rules' and im confused but have fun with it yo!
    Here's an idea Orson, open iTunes, hit shuffle and there you go! Mixtape for free with no thought or fun required!
    Just did 2 minutes of research, and I think I've got one, if need be.

Otherwise, who's next?
    Stuart said...
    meska said...

~sighs
    No, I think the song and connection is a great choice! I was just highlighting my own lack of knowledge of the funk/soul/whatever genres.

If we do go round robin I'm happy to do a bit of research to make those connections that I can't make yet.

:heart:

That's good, as do I. One thing i've noticed is that, no matter what the genre is, you can still move into something else altogether. Musicians collaborate, as do the people behind the scenes, lots of avenues open up.
    Stuart said...
    orsonrockwell said...im getting out of this, i dont understand it anymore~ you guys are all about rules~ im all about 'not rules' and im confused but have fun with it yo!
    Here's an idea Orson, open iTunes, hit shuffle and there you go! Mixtape for free with no thought or fun required!
    No i see i do manually mix that’s why i find just adding one song after another kind of pointless, i dont think im being a jackass i just dont see the fun or thought in this
  • edited February 2011
    i don't mix, but i do segue.

i'd like to participate.

;) you're safe from my oddball tastes if it has to be found on YouTube.

[hide]flak and i went private on our mixtapes after he decided not to forum anymore.[/hide]
    Go for it Mick!

And I'm sure that the Youtube part isn't the most essential.
    It isn't Mick, just go for it!
    meska said...It isn't Mick, just go for it!
    what?
    mick said...
    meska said...It isn't Mick, just go for it!
    what?
    Youtube
  • edited February 2011
    i wanna play
    can i wait till till i find and opening and jump on it, or do i have to sign up and get in line someplace?
    btw. excellent start, esp ben e. nice track just spotified ans starred it.
    next question, is this gonna be a comments here and tracks there kinda thing to keep it tidy, or should we consolidate it onto the other thread.
    Comments here, tracks in the other thread. Feel free to drop in whenever you like, just post in here first, to let peeps know.

I think Mick wants to take the next spot after me.
  • ok
    yeah would never cut in on mick
    like i said, i'll wait till the a track clicks with my lack of taste.
    No problemo :)
    I bet Red, that you could do something with the bit i just put in. and... you could have cut in, my dear. the timing just didn't work this time. if it comes up again, just give a shout. 'k?

i just hope someone picks it up... we trended funky, didn't we? :D
  • edited February 2011
    looks around a bit confused.
    Stuart said...looks around a bit confused.
    i have been permission to rant in this thred so i want to take the time out to say FUCK YOU STUART , tell me shit, i tell you shit, just because i thought you had a pathetic fail idea desnt mean that i click itues buttons for the hell of t, so go fuck yourself, and fuck you too mesk, didn’t realize I had to agree with everybody in order to be accepted, basically everyone can go fuck themseves, hope i didn’t leave a steqaming pile of shit in a pristine thread...so and if anyone else pissed at me, because i dont do awkward they can go fuck themselves too
    ? wondering how we got from DIV to Nina in 3 easy steps?

;) i'm not.