HTML5 Audio Safari extension

edited November 2010 in conversations
After listening to John talk about going Flash-free and then reading the secret to his success I thought I would give it a try. First thing I did after disabling the plugin was open up Fever to see how it would impact my daily browsing experience. Almost immediately I hit a snag.

I subscribe to a number of blogs that post audio files on a regular basis (like composer of Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, Bear McCreary and a number of game music sites). Connor McKay’s YouTube5 Safari extension addresses most videos I encounter and Open in Google Chrome works for the rest but while video demands attention audio is ambient. It doesn’t makes sense to keep a second browser open just for background noise but I couldn’t find a similar extension for audio. So I made one.

HTML5 Audio Safari extension currently replaces the default Tumblr audio player (with or without Flash) and WordPress Audio Player (without Flash). I’m not taking requests—I’ll be improving support as my needs dictate—but if you, fellow savvy developer, add support for additional players, let me know and I’ll drop it in (credited, of course).

CHANGES

1.0.1 added support for JWPlayer embedded using SWFObject

shauninman.com/archive/2010/11/05/html5audio_safari_extension