street artist JR receives $100k 2011 TED prize

edited October 2010 in creations
Women are Heroes - Favela Morro Da Providencia, Rio de Janeiro - 2008
Congratulations to the 2011 TED Prize Winner: JR
JR exhibits his photographs in the biggest art gallery on the planet. His work is presented freely in the streets of the world, catching the attention of people who are not museum visitors. His work mixes Art and Action; it talks about commitment, freedom, identity and limit.
we've seen plenty of his work through a couple of threads here in the past, nice to see it getting some hardcore recognition!

(i had no idea that he'd published a book, too...)

Comments

• edited 12:58PM
    "...we thought that we would be kidnapped, that we would be arrested, that we would be evicted... and we just came back with sunburns!"

hehe
  • edited October 2010
    At a guess this is a great example of Ambient Media.
    Please correct me if I am wrong
    ambient media would be more of an advertising term, i'd have thought.
  • edited October 2010
    I see.
    I'm slightly confused. Ever so slightly but enough.

The image, any image styled however, is the selling point so in turn it's advertising right?
    I mean in this instance the image is unconventional and structured in a manner that is advertising his creativeness in this medium plus it's interacted with by many, but is it art or ambient media?

Art or ambient media (reaches for phone book to call charles saatchi, tate modern and sotherby's :happy:)

It would be great to get better clarification on these grounds because I guess I am too lazy to go figure it out by myself.
    It's art to me
    ambient media is more like a 10% off voucher printed on the back of a car park ticket - i'm not really sure why you are bothering to get confused here ;)
    Chris why so rude?
    Simply asking for direction on a forum where similar discussions take place all the time but you shoot me down and bully me to squash any questions or interest I might make.

Shameful.

I honestly dont know what your problem is but I bet it's really hard to pronounce.
    weird.
    wired
  • edited February 2011