Find 'good' films on dvd or subscription service?

edited September 2010 in advice
A few folks around here know that I live in Africa. I don't have easy access to a great DVD store (in fact, there are none here). I don't even have access to a movie theater (there are none, as well).

We do download plenty of films but we're constrained to the mainstream things. We have Netflix and Hulu (via VPN) but they are lacking in depth where quality is concerned as well.

I've been reading about films at a few festivals lately and I started wondering - unless I'm in NYC or LA I'll never even have a chance to see many of these out of the mainstream films. Finding them otherwise is nearly impossible as well. Where do people find these things? Is there a special online service where you can find them? Is it only possible to find them at a great DVD shop (in Seattle we had a couple super good ones with many rare films)?

I use MUBI, which is pretty good, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of something even better.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    http://forum.karagarga.net/
  • edited 10:33AM
    Given a bit of time after those festivals, many do show up on some of the torrent trackers, often the more obscure ones. Private are better if you can get signed up to some of them.