Is my MacBook Pro (2006) dying?

edited February 2010 in conversations
For some time now I sometimes get weird Graphic/Video glitches when my MBP reaches 75° while doing more intense CPU work i.e. secure deleting large files and 720p playback. It's like a dotted line going straight through from left to right:

Graphic/Video glitches

This also happens with Finder windows and app Windows. Another thing that happened twice yesterday, is that my MBP froze when it hit 85°+ when I was secure deleting a large MKV, had jDownloader and Firefox + 8 Tabs running, and was testing a MKV with VLC.

I've had Fan Control running for some years now to keep my MBP as cool as possible, but I have the feeling that I should put it in an icebox when using it.

Any ideas?

tia

Comments

• edited 7:01PM
    Have you tried opening it up and giving it a cleaning?
  • edited February 2010
    Do you have a MacBook Pro listed in this article?

If you don't know, the other question is - what's your video card?
    There's a good reason why I added "2006" in the title of the thread ;)

MBP 2GHz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB / ATI 128 MB RadeonX1600

I used to be able to put a lot of strain on my MBP. The cleaning idea from Swampbaby isn't such a bad idea.
    Figured I'd ask, as that's a common symptom. ;)

Is the dotted line consistent across different videos? If so, I'd chalk it up to the encodes themselves (or the sources from the encodes). Try a different movie player, too (VLC, Movist, MPlayer OS X Extended...to name a few).

Cleaning it isn't a bad idea.
  • edited February 2010
    it isn't just when I play HD videos. It only happens sometimes when playing MKVs. It's when my MBP does some intense CPU work. Stuff I could still do without any problems 5 months ago.

I've already downloaded a PDF from ifixit.com for fixing/replacing fans in a 15" MBP.
  • edited February 2010
    Mate you to need to run fan control software. I have on my MBP 2008 and on my imac 24" 2006. I had exactly the same symptoms - running fan control keeps the heat at bay.

http://www.derman.com/MacBook-Pro-Fan-Control

It's worth doing the clean, or blowing cold air through the vents when mac is off. I'd leave mac off for a full 24 hours - then on boot up, download fan control software and restart - then take it from there.
    Yo meska :) You didn't read my entire post, did you? :D I've been using Fan Control for some years now. I'm hoping that fans just need some cleaning.
    Damn missed that bit :D Okay you're fucked :(
    Really? Why?
    OK. So I opened up my MBP and fiddled around with the fans a bit, blew cold air into them with my hair dryer and now my MBP is at 45° or a bit under. Ususally after 5 minutes on it would go to 53°. I'll do some testing with some intense CPU stuff 'n shit.

~crosses fingers

OK... now it's shot up to 50°, but only because I've set up Hazel to securely delete files older than 24 hours. My MBP is still acting cooler than usual. I think I just may get erect nipples in a minute if my MBP carries on behaving as it is atm.

~skip & jumps.
    Maybe you could try COOLBOOK I use it on my hackbook pro ;) it undervolts your processor giving less heat.
    I recommend ebay
  • edited March 2010
    I just bought a spanking new iMac 21,5" / ATI Radeon HD for €1280 today :D

~skips and jumps

Sweet Jesus... it's fast!!11!! 64bit orgasmathon :)
    Realized today, try resetting the SMC.
    The motherboard needs to be replaced which would cost me €650.
    Does it have that NVidia 8600 inside it? You could always blag it with Apple...
    ATI.

It doesn't matter anymore though. I'm typing this post from my new iMac 3.06 GHz:wink:
  • edited March 2010
    Sweet, bit of a bastard to carry around though ;)

Hopefully i7 iMac 27 8gig 1TB incoming onto my desk before the end of the month. Fingers crossed.
    Send it over, the MBP, i'll blag it for you ;)